Air Cooler needed for i7-8700k

MrCha0s

Hello,Im looking for a cooler for the i7 8700k which i probably won't overclock and if i do it won't be anything big so with that in mind i need suggestions for a cooler that will keep it cool at stock values,and will serve me in case i want to overclock preferably between 50-70 euros

1 minute ago, MrCha0s said:

Did you already buy the PC?

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

1 minute ago, Streetguru said:

Did you already buy the PC?

i bought everything except the case and cpu cooler

Just now, MrCha0s said:

i bought everything except the case and cpu cooler

Link doesn't work, what case were you looking at? What's the budget for it and the cooler?

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, MrCha0s said:

Hello,Im looking for a cooler for the i7 8700k which i probably won't overclock and if i do it won't be anything big so with that in mind i need suggestions for a cooler that will keep it cool at stock values,and will serve me in case i want to overclock preferably between 50-70 euros

Did you have a specific theme, or color you want the air cooler to be, do you want a quiet cooler or a big beefy cooler?

4 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Link doesn't work, what case were you looking at? What's the budget for it and the cooler?

I want to decide the cooler first,then ill look at cases the budget i have for the cooler is around 50-70 euros

1 minute ago, MrCha0s said:

I want to decide the cooler first,then ill look at cases the budget i have for the cooler is around 50-70 euros

That's not a good way to go about it, what's your total budget for the case+cooler and what are the rest of the parts in the build?

Because your case determines the max height of the cooler

Spoiler

9 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

That's not a good way to go about it, what's your total budget for the case+cooler and what are the rest of the parts in the build?

Because your case determines the max height of the cooler

OR his cooler determines how big his case is?

CPU: INTEL Core i7 4790k @ 4.7Ghz - Cooling: NZXT Kraken X61 - Mobo: Gigabyte Z97X SLI - RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ares 2400mhz - GPU: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 Fury 4G - Case: Phanteks P350X - PSU: EVGA 750GQ - Storage: WD Black 1TB - Fans: 2x Noctua NF-P14s (Push) / 2x Corsair AF140 (Pull) / 3x Corsair AF120 (Exhaust) - Keyboard: Corsair K70 Cherry MX Red - Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma

Bit of an AMD fan I suppose. I don't bias my replies to anything however, I just prefer AMD and their products. Buy whatever the H*CK you want. 

---QUOTE ME OR I WILL LIKELY NOT REPLY---

4 minutes ago, MrCha0s said:

well it sounded good in my head,also the parts are msi z370 gaming pro carbon a gtx 1080 g.skill ripjaws V 16gb ram evga supernova 750w psu

Then there you go, really fat Thermalright Macho cooler, case is a bit short, can't fit the dual tower noctua stuff

you should also consider delidding your 8700K for daily use high end overclocking

would have highly suggested an R5 1600 if you happen to be only gaming at 60hz though...

The RL06 comes with 3 front intake fans at stock so it's airflow is just nice

If you want a silence focused case get the pure base 600

PCPartPicker part list: https://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/7L3Pm8
Price breakdown by merchant: https://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/7L3Pm8/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K 3.7GHz 6-Core Processor  (€362.94 @ Amazon Deutschland)
CPU Cooler: Thermalright - MACHO 120 REV.A 46.2 CFM CPU Cooler  (€45.73 @ Mindfactory)
Motherboard: MSI - Z370 GAMING PRO CARBON ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  (€160.99 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Case: Silverstone - Redline RL06WS-PRO ATX Mid Tower Case  (€84.90 @ Caseking)
Total: €654.56
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-02-02 04:46 CET+0100

Spoiler

10 minutes ago, Vegetable said:

OR his cooler determines how big his case is?

I don't think most other cases* really compare to the RL06 at stock

Spoiler

7 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Then there you go, really fat Thermalright Macho cooler, case is a bit short, can't fit the dual tower noctua stuff

you should also consider delidding your 8700K for daily use high end overclocking

would have highly suggested an R5 1600 if you happen to be only gaming at 60hz though...

The RL06 comes with 3 front intake fans at stock so it's airflow is just nice

If you want a silence focused case get the pure base 600

PCPartPicker part list: https://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/7L3Pm8
Price breakdown by merchant: https://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/7L3Pm8/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K 3.7GHz 6-Core Processor  (€362.94 @ Amazon Deutschland)
CPU Cooler: Thermalright - MACHO 120 REV.A 46.2 CFM CPU Cooler  (€45.73 @ Mindfactory)
Motherboard: MSI - Z370 GAMING PRO CARBON ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  (€160.99 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Case: Silverstone - Redline RL06WS-PRO ATX Mid Tower Case  (€84.90 @ Caseking)
Total: €654.56
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-02-02 04:46 CET+0100

delidding is something i probably wont be doing simply because im too scared,also do you think this cooler will do the job? and is the be quiet dark rock 3 (non pro) better? because its the cooler i've been considering but im not sure if it will get the job done

Just now, MrCha0s said:

delidding is something i probably wont be doing simply because im too scared,also do you think this cooler will do the job? and is the be quiet dark rock 3 (non pro) better? because its the cooler i've been considering but im not sure if it will get the job done

3 minutes ago, MrCha0s said:

delidding is something i probably wont be doing simply because im too scared,also do you think this cooler will do the job? and is a be quiet dark rock 3 better?

I think it has similar thermal mass to the Dark Rock PRO 3, not the standard one, but those don't fit in that case, as I said it's a bit slim, but comes with really great stock cooling, the case also comes in black but those fans have red LEDs instead of white

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA68V21E0640&ignorebbr=1&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleMKP-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleMKP-PC-_-pla-_-CPU+Cooling-_-9SIA68V21E0640&gclid=CjwKCAiAksvTBRBFEiwADSBZfIYsQziV-qBkKD0LV8w69uxibNk9cCc1AfWUXSbtuNjFbFDlCWIydhoCwUIQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Spoiler

Spoiler

4 hours ago, Streetguru said:

I think it has similar thermal mass to the Dark Rock PRO 3, not the standard one, but those don't fit in that case, as I said it's a bit slim, but comes with really great stock cooling, the case also comes in black but those fans have red LEDs instead of white

Even the DR3 is heavier than the Macho Rev. A at 976g vs 870g. Thermal mass isn't everything and mounting hardware is almost as important. That being said, they perform similarly. The DRP3 is still easily better than the Macho 120 Rev. A though.

https://www.bit-tech.net/reviews/tech/cooling/thermalright-macho-rev-a-review/2/ 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

5 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

Even the DR3 is heavier than the Macho Rev. A at 976g vs 870g. Thermal mass isn't everything and mounting hardware is almost as important. That being said, they perform similarly. The DRP3 is still easily better than the Macho 120 Rev. A though.

https://www.bit-tech.net/reviews/tech/cooling/thermalright-macho-rev-a-review/2/ 

Which one do you think I should go for?

7 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

It's also taller than the Macho

1 hour ago, MrCha0s said:

Which means if you buy the RL06 PRO for it's stock cooling, the Macho will actually fit inside of the case, and the Dark Rock Will not

If you get a wider case, you probably just want the NH-D15.

PCPartPicker part list: https://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/jx7Q3F
Price breakdown by merchant: https://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/jx7Q3F/by_merchant/

CPU Cooler: Noctua - NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler  (€87.99 @ Aquatuning)
Motherboard: MSI - Z370 GAMING PRO CARBON ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  (€159.99 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Case: Cooler Master - MasterBox 5 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  (€68.05 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Total: €678.97
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-02-02 16:19 CET+0100

Spoiler

6 hours ago, MrCha0s said:

Depends on what case you're going for. If the system is still in planning, I'd suggest planning it out as a whole in the New Builds and Planning subforum instead of segregating the discussion. https://linustechtips.com/main/forum/18-new-builds-and-planning/

Any of the coolers mentioned so far would be plenty of cooling for a moderate oc but the only one mentioned that fits in the RL06 is the Macho Rev. A if you're going with that case. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.