Want to confirm my build choices before buying

Hey guys, 

I am building a pc with the the following config. 

Pls suggest modification or changes if necessary. 

Thx in advance. 

Components

Mobo:asus maximus x hero with wifi

Cpu: i7 8700k

Gpu:gigabyte aorus gtx1080ti waterforce (water cooled) (pre-assembled one) 

Ram:trident 32gb(4x8gb) ddr4 2666Mhz

Psu:850W platinum modular(probably evga) 

Case:cant decide. Need full tower for future expansion Would like at least 4x usb on front and a optical drive bay. Also tempered glass and cable management. (ps. I live in a hot area where temps is summer can reach upto 46°C so passive cooling isnt much of an option). Also i need air filters on all intakes. 

Cpu cooler:nzxt kraken(pre assembled water cooler) 

Case fan:depends on how many come with case.

Storage:

samsung 960pro m.2 512gb for os and software,

2x 1tb 850pro samsung and 2x2tb seagate firecuda hybrid. 

Monitor: probably a 240hz gaming monitor

Keyboard and mouse:mechanical(razor) 

Misc:

usb 3.1 gen 2 extention card,

optical drive(r/w dvd bluray) (pls suggested a good and fast one) 

Use for pc:

1.heavy coding

2. Circuit simulations

3. Running lots of ram intensive coding ide for embedded system together. 

4. Heavy gaming

5. Video editing (4k)

6.overclocking

7. Future proofing(would most likely not upgrade for 5 to 6 years) 

The softwares i will be using are very  demanding and are able to benifit from multicore performance. I will also be using it for software development. 

Basically i want a balanced system for gaming as well as productivity. 

Will most probably run high end games. 

Want it as cheap as possible without compromising stability. 

I dont want a cheap pc rather i want one with good power to cost ratio.

A little rgb may not hurt but dont want to overdo it. 

Pls tell me if i miss anything. 

All suggestions are welcome. 

Thx

Edited by The_robotics_guy
Typos

8700k already enough? I mean, you make it sound like so demanding you need X299.

For future proofing, X299 is also better. It can use CPUs with far more cores which means it can stay relevant for much longer in workstation use. Clock speed is still high enough to be a good gaming chip. If you go 8700k, its platform is limited to 6 cores only so that's about as far as you can go.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

id get the Define R6 for your case, got everything you are asking for here

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

If recommend a Corsair H series water cooler instead of NZXT. It seems to have better reliability when they are compared. H100i is good, you could go larger if you're case super larger than 240mm rad.

Possibly higher RAM speed? If you but a higher rate kit, your more likely to get higher RAM speeds than a 2666 kit. I'd probably suggest 3200 MHz on the low side. That way you're more likely to have have better stability at higher speeds.

My #1 recommendation: stay the F*** away from hybrid drives. If you're doing video editing, I'd recommend 7200 HDD for storage. Like WD Black. Don't do hybrid. I've seen those fail more often than regular HDDs or SSDs.

Um.. what is editors edition? You should have Windows 10 Home or Pro (obviously get 64 bit).

And it of curiosity, why so many USB expansion cards? What's getting plugged in to all of that?

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the reply

The only thing holding me back from x299 is the upfront cost. 

As for ram i would go for 3200 as suggested. 

For case define R6 looks great. 

For cooler i would then go for corsair h150i. 

Pls tell is any more alterations are needed. 

Thx again

On 1/21/2018 at 6:43 PM, Ryujin2003 said:

If recommend a Corsair H series water cooler instead of NZXT. It seems to have better reliability when they are compared. H100i is good, you could go larger if you're case super larger than 240mm rad.

Possibly higher RAM speed? If you but a higher rate kit, your more likely to get higher RAM speeds than a 2666 kit. I'd probably suggest 3200 MHz on the low side. That way you're more likely to have have better stability at higher speeds.

My #1 recommendation: stay the F*** away from hybrid drives. If you're doing video editing, I'd recommend 7200 HDD for storage. Like WD Black. Don't do hybrid. I've seen those fail more often than regular HDDs or SSDs.

Um.. what is editors edition? You should have Windows 10 Home or Pro (obviously get 64 bit).

And it of curiosity, why so many USB expansion cards? What's getting plugged in to all of that?

I actually like a lot of connectivity and as i already have a pcie slot empty, why nit populate it. 

Ps. I would go for win 10 pro only. 

Also thx for warning about hybrid drives. I will go for wd black as suggested. Thx

1 hour ago, The_robotics_guy said:

I actually like a lot of connectivity and as i already have a pcie slot empty, why nit populate it. 

Ps. I would go for win 10 pro only. 

Also thx for warning about hybrid drives. I will go for wd black as suggested. Thx

If money is a concern, you can save a bit by using Seagate drives instead of WD. I prefer WD so I use them instead. But that's all personal choice.

And yes, Windows ## pro is generally the way to go.

And populating the PCIe shows is ok as long as you don't exceed the numbers of total lanes provided by the CPU.

On 2/17/2018 at 6:12 PM, Ryujin2003 said:

If money is a concern, you can save a bit by using Seagate drives instead of WD. I prefer WD so I use them instead. But that's all personal choice.

And yes, Windows ## pro is generally the way to go.

And populating the PCIe shows is ok as long as you don't exceed the numbers of total lanes provided by the CPU.

The reason I am going with WD is coz i have used seagate in past it they have not been much reliable. Since i am nit planning to upgrade it for at least 5 to 6 years, i dont mind spending a little more for reliability. 

Just now, The_robotics_guy said:

The reason I am going with WD is coz i have used seagate in past it they have not been much reliable. Since i am nit planning to upgrade it for at least 5 to 6 years, i dont mind spending a little more for reliability. 

I'm there with you. Just wanted to at least remind you of options. But WD is the only HDD manufacturer I use. Only had one fail (was nearly 14 years old).

Update. 

My final complete list of every component. 

As always pls suggest any improvementsIMG_20180218_004218.thumb.jpg.4c9510349c35e8c0d6ee4454d05020c2.jpg

3 minutes ago, Ryujin2003 said:

I'm there with you. Just wanted to at least remind you of options. But WD is the only HDD manufacturer I use. Only had one fail (was nearly 14 years old).

Thank you for the help.