Does a converter exist that allows the signal to go both ways??

TheReal_ist

Ok so I want scratch that NEED a displayport to vga cable where you can send a signal from either end to display the image. 

I have looked all around forums to find any info about this and can't seem to so I need your guys help. And btw amazon's search doesn't find anything like that. So it aint worth sifting through all the converters to find one that states it works both ways. Unless well you want to do that. But I thought someone would have found one that they then would have posted about on some forum. But I can't seem to find such post. 

You expect me to reply then you'd best QUOTE me so I can........thanks

Simple PC Parts list to reference for other Users:

Case: Meshify C

CPU: Ryzen 1600 @ 3.8

Mobo: ASRock AB350 Pro4

Ram: 2 x 8gb (Corsair RGB Pro)

GPU: XFX RX 580 8gb - Clocks: Core @1386mhz, memory @2000mhz

Storage:

Boot drive - 120gb NVME Corsair MP500

Main Storage drive - 500gb 860 EVO

Archival/Backup drive - 2TB Black WD

Mouse: Logi M570 for work, and a G502 for gaming

PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650 80+ Gold

OS: And of course Win 10 Pro, because Linux ain't fully baked yet.

Monitors: (27in monitors)

TN - VG278Q @144hz 

IPS - VP279Q-P @60hz 

They do exist but you might have to jump into a rabbit hole and go from display port to hdmi then buy a hdmi to vga. Or go from display port to hdmi to dvi to vga

10 minutes ago, TheRealist324 said:

Ok so I want scratch that NEED a displayport to vga cable where you can send a signal from either end to display the image. 

I have looked all around forums to find any info about this and can't seem to so I need your guys help. And btw amazon's search doesn't find anything like that. So it aint worth sifting through all the converters to find one that states it works both ways. Unless well you want to do that. But I thought someone would have found one that they then would have posted about on some forum. But I can't seem to find such post. 

In what use case would be need a display signal to go back to the graphics processor? You can get units that go from DP to VGA easily and maybe some odd ball one to VGA to DP. 

6 minutes ago, W-L said:

In what use case would be need a display signal to go back to the graphics processor? You can get units that go from DP to VGA easily and maybe some odd ball one to VGA to DP. 

NO not like that come on. I want it both ways so that I can plug the vga end into a monitor and the DP to a computer. And the other way around for new monitors to old computers. How did that not come across??

Storage:

TN - VG278Q @144hz 

IPS - VP279Q-P @60hz 

28 minutes ago, TheRealist324 said:

NO not like that come on. I want it both ways so that I can plug the vga end into a monitor and the DP to a computer. And the other way around for new monitors to old computers. How did that not come across??

From DP to VGA, no problem, there are cheap adapters on Amazon. VGA to DP is another story, as that's going analog to digital. You'll need a converter box, probably going partway from VGA to HDMI, then going HDMI to DP.  A converter box such as https://www.cablestogo.com/product/41410/vga-3.5mm-to-hdmi-adapter-converter is expensive and bulky. It would be cheaper to just get a new video card at that point, or pick up an old monitor from the thrift store that has VGA input.

TL;DR Not going to find a single cable that goes both ways.

23 minutes ago, TheRealist324 said:

You won't find any VGA to DP adapters it's not a commonly required option, you can go the long way around and go from VGA to HDMI and then to DP. However you will not find any basic adapter that can go both ways. 

55 minutes ago, TheRealist324 said:

You will have to get two separate adapters for that.

2 hours ago, Glenwing said:

You will have to get two separate adapters for that.

This would be the simplest and most logical course of action.

On 1/17/2018 at 5:28 PM, bfairs said:

From DP to VGA, no problem, there are cheap adapters on Amazon. VGA to DP is another story, as that's going analog to digital. You'll need a converter box, probably going partway from VGA to HDMI, then going HDMI to DP.  A converter box such as https://www.cablestogo.com/product/41410/vga-3.5mm-to-hdmi-adapter-converter is expensive and bulky. It would be cheaper to just get a new video card at that point, or pick up an old monitor from the thrift store that has VGA input.

TL;DR Not going to find a single cable that goes both ways.

Well didn't think of that aspect, Good point. Ya I'll probably be forced to do that. I just wish we could figure out a proper easy way to covert dvi to dp for and back to as I asked about. 

Storage:

TN - VG278Q @144hz 

IPS - VP279Q-P @60hz