How do i make like a Real server

gabe54541

I wanted to know how to build an actual server for storage and for multiple devices. Im not to sure on how to do this being as im only like 16 years old. I do have windows server 2016 datacenter i just want to know do to use it as its full potential  

Current build.

I7-4930K     ASUS SABERTOOTH X79 MOBO     32GB CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM RAM    3TB HARD DRIVE

MSI LIGHTNING GTX 1080 TI    4 OPTICAL DRIVES      CORSAIR H100i V2      750 WATT CORSAIR PSU 

6 minutes ago, gabe54541 said:

I wanted to know how to build an actual server for storage and for multiple devices. Im not to sure on how to do this being as im only like 16 years old. I do have windows server 2016 datacenter i just want to know do to use it as its full potential  

Well any computer can act as a server. If you need it to be stand alone you dont need much.

Have you done some googling on hardware setups that utilize that version of data center?

Side note: If you are just wanting to share files with multiple computers you can do all of that with just regular windows.

A regular desktop can function as a server perfectly fine provide you aren't doing something major. What are you wanting to host?

Edit: Ninja'd

You can setup your own standalone storage server in many different ways

It can be as simple as plugging in an external HDD into your router (if your router supports it)

or you can buy any old cheap refurbished computer for $100 and set it up with FreeNAS - but this requires following some tutorials for the initial setup

Photography / Finance / Gaming

im looking to make several users on the server or something like that. Looking to do something big so i can learn. Being as i want to do this type of stuff for a living.

Current build.

I7-4930K     ASUS SABERTOOTH X79 MOBO     32GB CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM RAM    3TB HARD DRIVE

MSI LIGHTNING GTX 1080 TI    4 OPTICAL DRIVES      CORSAIR H100i V2      750 WATT CORSAIR PSU 

6 minutes ago, gabe54541 said:

im looking to make several users on the server or something like that. Looking to do something big so i can learn. Being as i want to do this type of stuff for a living.

look into FreeNAS 

its very customizable with a lot of advanced features available as well - oh and its open sourced

Photography / Finance / Gaming

i have several pc's i do have one build as a server but i just want to use the software to its potential 

2 minutes ago, mok said:

You can setup your own standalone storage server in many different ways

It can be as simple as plugging in an external HDD into your router (if your router supports it)

or you can buy any old cheap refurbished computer for $100 and set it up with FreeNAS - but this requires following some tutorials for the initial setup

1 minute ago, mok said:

i have several pc's i do have one build as a server but i just want to use the software to its potential 

Current build.

being as its worth 6000 retail

Current build.

21 minutes ago, gabe54541 said:

go to school for it

Nobody on earth is going to to teach you everything about how a server or data center works over a forum , especially when you not only have no starting knowledge of it , but you also have no use for it at all and are trying to find a use for it.

38 minutes ago, gabe54541 said:

im only like 16 years old. I do have windows server 2016 datacenter

So it's very obvious that'll be torrented copy which nobody here is going to help with either.

To make the most of server for learning, how about using Virtual Machines.  One machine with enough resources, you can have a virtual network with a Windows Server, Windows Exchange Server, Windows Web Server, Windows SQL Server, and a couple of virtual Windows PRO.   Note, you can also do with for Open source solutions with a Linux derivatives. 

19 minutes ago, emosun said:

go to school for it

Nobody on earth is going to to teach you everything about how a server or data center works over a forum , especially when you not only have no starting knowledge of it , but you also have no use for it at all and are trying to find a use for it.

So it's very obvious that'll be torrented copy which nobody here is going to help with either.

obviously not everything but like i want to know what to learn not how to learn it... thats what youtube is for

Current build.

39 minutes ago, emosun said:

go to school for it

also its not a torrented copy. It was activated via product key... 

Current build.

14 hours ago, gabe54541 said:

And where did the product key come from?

16 hours ago, gabe54541 said:

If you really want to go in to that industry, learn Linux first.  Get yourself a cheep laptop or make a VM on your desktop, stick Mint or Ubuntu on it and get comfortable doing everything with the CLI.  You'll pickup server concepts along the way. 

And as others have said, a server is just a computer that provides a service to other computers. Nothing more. 

On 1/12/2018 at 7:31 PM, gabe54541 said:

On 1/13/2018 at 10:22 AM, AshleyAshes said:

On 1/12/2018 at 6:51 PM, emosun said:

Guys why dig into where it came from? It's not our place to hassle him. Hell, he could be in an early college program and has it from Dreamspark, I did at that age. His goal is to learn, don't shit on that.

OP Look into hypervisors. Throw a bare-metal hypervisor on a server and spin up a bunch of VMs. Play with a bunch of different ones to learn which you like more. Just get into it. Also look into Active Directory. Hell, set up a home domain. Also learn subnetting.

If you can, I would also pick up a used server on ebay to use for your hardware. Something like a used R710. 

The hypervisors you want to look into are Xenserver, ESXi, and Hyper-V.

On 1/15/2018 at 9:13 AM, JoeyDM said:

Guys why dig into where it came from? It's not our place to hassle him. Hell, he could be in an early college program and has it from Dreamspark, I did at that age. His goal is to learn, don't shit on that.

OP Look into hypervisors. Throw a bare-metal hypervisor on a server and spin up a bunch of VMs. Play with a bunch of different ones to learn which you like more. Just get into it. Also look into Active Directory. Hell, set up a home domain. Also learn subnetting.

If you can, I would also pick up a used server on ebay to use for your hardware. Something like a used R710. 

The hypervisors you want to look into are Xenserver, ESXi, and Hyper-V.

thanks, 

Current build.

On 1/13/2018 at 10:22 AM, AshleyAshes said:

you act like you can get a torrented product key of something. It was a real key i do have 2 of them i only used one... lol Don't be jealous 

Current build.