Switch game recommendations for travel

ono

Looking for recommendations for current or soon to be release Switch games good for idle time during travel. That means, handheld mode and no awkward required motion controls.

You can give recommendations in general, since this thread can be useful to anyone, but some responses tailored to my taste would be appreciated too :)

My fav genre, RPGs. I already have a game lock and loaded for this, I am Setsuna. Should be good for a long sessions on the flights (5-6h each direction, IIRC) and I could do a little grinding when I only have a shorter time session to play, say before bed. Though I could end up finishing the game before the trip, so other recommended RPGs are welcomed. I'd love to read impressions on Romancing SaGa 2Lost Sphear (once that's out or if you played the import), Stardew Valley, or the oddball Golf Story.

I'm interested in getting a Metroidvania. Impressions on Steamworld Dig 2Axiom VergeThe Mummy Demastered, or I think the Shantae game are welcomed. None on are sale at the eShop so I'm not in a rush on those. I'm just keeping an eye if they get on sale before my trip to snatch. Otherwise, I'll get whatever sounds best a full price the day before my flight.

I'm on cooldown for these games, but The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild and Super Mario Odyssey are pretty good in small nuggets, e.g. finish one shrine or get one power moon or two. I personally find the SMO motion controls useful so that's the only not so great thing about playing it handheld. My impression of Fire Emblem Warriors was meh and since the missions do take like 20-30 min a pop, I don't think it's great for travel.

Mighty Gunvolt Burst is a Mega Man-like game that's currently on sale in the eShop. I just bought and played 3 levels. It's a blast. Levels are short, as they're meant to be replayed for better scores and hidden items found. I have to force myself not to play since I think it'll be great to play on my trip when I need to mix things up when I need a break from Setsuna. 

I'm not sure actually who I seated with on the flight, but if you someone to play with, Super Bomberman RMario Kart 8 Deluxe, and Puyo Puyo Tetris are fantastic. I found Bomberman or MK8 boring solo though. Dropping some blocks in solo Tetris should be fun though.

BOTW is absolutely amazing and you will sink tons of hours into it.

Xenoblade Chronicals 2 is pretty amazing too, but if you just wanna have fun DOOM is a great option as well.

I don't own a Switch however, if I were to buy one, these are the games I would buy given the right circumstances. The thing is, for me personally, I only really find playing on the Switch to be compelling for exclusives since I would much rather play multiplats on the PS4, One, or PC where the graphics are far superior. Being mobile isn't compelling enough for me since I can just use Remote Play or whatever MS calls their streaming method to play on my Vita, laptop, or tablet. So take my recommendations with a grain of salt and keep in mind that I'm stretching outside of my comfort zone in terms of platform and prefered way to play. Also, I haven't played all of these but they are the games I would pick up or at least recognize to be worth the play.

Disgaea 5 - I only recently started the series a couple years ago. I started playing the PSP version of the original and it is amazing. But with all my games, it's hard to make much progress. I'm not sure how connected these games are but if they aren't, I would probably pick up 5 right away, otherwise, I would have a long way to go before playing it.

LA Noire - A thoroughly enjoyable game. Interesting and original. I liked it so much that I got all the achievements on the XBox 360. I'd personally recommend getting it on the PS4 or One but if you can't really go wrong if you want to play the game on the go and don't want to deal with streaming options.

Skyrim - I've never played it but I know it is solid. If you really want a game that you can sink hours into on the go, this would be a good one. Again, I'd personally prefer to play on current gen console or PC but it is a solid handheld experience.

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 - One of the reasons that actually plan to buy a Switch. The game looks very fun to me but I still have to beat the first one. 9_9

Bayonetta 2 - The original is amazing (I know from personally experience as I beat it a couple times on the 360) and I've only heard good things about the sequel. Yet another game that compels me to buy a Switch since I never bought a Wii U so I still haven't played it.

Fire Emblem Warriors - Haven't played but it looks interesting to me. I will likely buy this when I buy a Switch.

Payday 2 (coming soon) - Console is pretty much accepted as the inferior way to play Payday and I imagine the Switch will be even worse than the PS4 and One but still, it's Payday on the go. For a grindy game like Payday, the Switch is actually a good idea concept wise to play on since you can work on it wherever you are. I've played up to infamy level three on the One and really like the game.

That's really all I have right now. There really isn't much that I would buy if I bought a Switch since I'm not much of a Mario guy. 

You can look into Telltale game: Batman.

It supports both controller and touch screen of the Switch (you pick, you can switch on the fly while gaming without even accessing a menu). I like to play this particular game with the touch screen. But you have both. It is more like watching an interactive movie. Its nice game to relax and play and not think too much while still entertaining.

My only gripe, is that the game should be running better for the hardware and visuals being displayed, but isn't. It's not bad, but it should be holding 60fps no problem. Visuals are pretty simplistic. Lack of optimization. You can see they just slap the game on the system, reduce graphics settings and shipped it. Pretty much. But all in all, playable in portable mode, nothing that sticks out and ruin the experience.

If you want something different, and like these multiple story path games, it is worth a look.

Note: I have not completed the game yet.

17 hours ago, IsaacThePooper said:

BOTW is absolutely amazing and you will sink tons of hours into it.

Xenoblade Chronicals 2 is pretty amazing too, but if you just wanna have fun DOOM is a great option as well.

I forgot I have XC2. I'm done with the main story and am waiting for patches to fix my gripes before I return to collect more blades. There's a lot of interface stuff that makes that game a slog. The maps were fixed after I finished. The blade management and bonding is still a mess though, so I'm staying away.

I wonder how DOOM would work for me on handheld. I did pick it up on the Steam Autumn Sale and promptly got motion sick. It's a common thing for me with. I think my large TV is a factor so the smaller Switch may help me play it longer. I don't know. Not something I want to risk and test out until that game is on sale.

3 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

You can look into Telltale game: Batman.

It supports both controller and touch screen of the Switch (you pick, you can switch on the fly while gaming without even accessing a menu). I like to play this particular game with the touch screen. But you have both. It is more like watching an interactive movie. Its nice game to relax and play and not think too much while still entertaining.

My only gripe, is that the game should be running better for the hardware and visuals being displayed, but isn't. It's not bad, but it should be holding 60fps no problem. Visuals are pretty simplistic. Lack of optimization. You can see they just slap the game on the system, reduce graphics settings and shipped it. Pretty much. But all in all, playable in portable mode, nothing that sticks out and ruin the experience.

If you want something different, and like these multiple story path games, it is worth a look.

Note: I have not completed the game yet.

I agree Telltale games would be good. I'll need to check which ones are on the Switch. I did the first Batman on PS4 since I found a cheap used copy. I think Telltale on consoles are consistently bad in the performance department. I got several instances of graphical glitches and crashes on PS4. Nothing frequent enough that I give up, but annoying because you can't skip straight to the decisions and have to rewatch stuff prior to the crash. No surprise there are issues on the Switch version.

Stardew Valley on the switch is a perfect fit for portable play a nice chill game you could easily pour hours into if you wanted but you could also play in small bites as well.