HX850 PG value 0ms RMA worthy?

trigonometry

My GPU died recently and I suspected that it might have been caused by my PSU, so I bought a PSU tester. All the voltages seem to be in range except for the PG value, which should be in the 100ms-500ms range according to the tester manual, but is showing as 0ms and the tester starts beeping indicating an issue. I'm not really sure what the PG value is and if it's an RMA worthy issue so I wanted to ask you guys here before I tried to contact Corsair. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Don't have another GPU on hand to test unfortunately, I wanted to make sure everything else was fine before ordering a new one. I agree that it's a good quality PSU but it's almost 6 years old and that's why I'm a little uncertain about it. 

1 hour ago, s.mple said:

Don't have another GPU on hand to test unfortunately, I wanted to make sure everything else was fine before ordering a new one. I agree that it's a good quality PSU but it's almost 6 years old and that's why I'm a little uncertain about it. 

It's the "Power Good" or "PWR_OK" as is typically assigned to that number.

0 ms is not a good sign. It may just fail the second you have a power outage, however I'm not sure how accurate the tool you're using is.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

31 minutes ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

It's the "Power Good" or "PWR_OK" as is typically assigned to that number.

0 ms is not a good sign. It may just fail the second you have a power outage, however I'm not sure how accurate the tool you're using is.

I'm using this one I got on amazon, I just opened a support ticket with corsair so I'll see what they say I guess. Thanks

1 hour ago, s.mple said:

I'm using this one I got on amazon, I just opened a support ticket with corsair so I'll see what they say I guess. Thanks

Those things are garbage.

Do you have problems with the PSU? If not, don't worry...

If you have, maybe @jonnyGURU could help you.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

On 1/2/2018 at 11:09 AM, s.mple said:

My GPU died recently and I suspected that it might have been caused by my PSU, so I bought a PSU tester. All the voltages seem to be in range except for the PG value, which should be in the 100ms-500ms range according to the tester manual, but is showing as 0ms and the tester starts beeping indicating an issue. I'm not really sure what the PG value is and if it's an RMA worthy issue so I wanted to ask you guys here before I tried to contact Corsair. Thanks in advance for any advice.

If the PG signal was really 0, your motherboard wouldn't even start.

If you're going to RMA anything.... it should be the tester.

2 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

If the PG signal was really 0, your motherboard wouldn't even start.

If you're going to RMA anything.... it should be the tester.

I've used the same tester on a different psu and it gave a valid PG value readout, so I'm not convinced that's the issue. If you have any other ways of making sure the PSU is fine please let me know.

Sure.  Plug it into a real PSU ATE.

If the PG signal was 0ms, the motherboard wouldn't work. 

Certainly, it wouldn't damage your graphics card.  It's more likely your graphics card would've died regardless of what your other components are because... graphics cards die sometimes.