Upgrading monitor (DisplayPort/HDMI)

Vk_vule
Go to solution Solved by epic_ziver_D,

It really depends on the version different versions of cables won't be able to do different stuff but I prefer DP anyways because it doesn't slip out (it has a locking mechanism) and in all versions was/is better than the same time HDMI version. Also, DP does have in-line audio capabilities. (Both HDMI and DP should work in you'ur case). 

Hello,

At this moment i have old VGA 1440x900 monitor, and have little experience with monitors in general.

I've found monitor that I want to purchase: AOC G2260VWQ6

(full HD 75Hz, 1ms response time)

It has DisplayPort and HDMI input with 2 speakers.
At the moment I have GTX 970 so I wouldn't benefit from Freesync
I've heard/found somewhere that HDMI has greater input lag than DisplayPort, and that HDMI can't go over 60Hz.

I was thinking about using HDMI (for speakers) because I don't like having my headphones always on while casualy browsing web.
So, are these things true about HDMI?

Specs: Core 2 Quad Q9550 OC@3.4Ghz; Asus Radeon 5850; Asus P5Q WorkStation;  6GB DDR2 800MHz

6 minutes ago, Vk_vule said:

Hello,

At this moment i have old VGA 1440x900 monitor, and have little experience with monitors in general.

I've found monitor that I want to purchase: AOC G2260VWQ6

(full HD 75Hz, 1ms response time)

It has DisplayPort and HDMI input with 2 speakers.
At the moment I have GTX 970 so I wouldn't benefit from Freesync
I've heard/found somewhere that HDMI has greater input lag than DisplayPort, and that HDMI can't go over 60Hz.

I was thinking about using HDMI (for speakers) because I don't like having my headphones always on while casualy browsing web.
So, are these things true about HDMI?

Both untrue. Some monitors are limited to 60 Hz over HDMI but it's not a universal limitation. 75 Hz monitors generally don't have this limitation.

Both HDMI and DisplayPort support inline audio.

It really depends on the version different versions of cables won't be able to do different stuff but I prefer DP anyways because it doesn't slip out (it has a locking mechanism) and in all versions was/is better than the same time HDMI version. Also, DP does have in-line audio capabilities. (Both HDMI and DP should work in you'ur case). 

PC Specs:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-8700k @ 4.7GHz Turbo

Motherboard: Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC) LGA1551 (300 Series)

RAM: 2x8GB Trident Z RGB DDR4-3200MHz

GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 1080

SDD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

HDD:  Seagate Barracuda 2TB

PSU: Corsair RM650x

Cooling: Corsair H115i Pro RGB

Main Display: Dell S2417DG 1440p 144/165Hz G-Sync (2560x1440)

Secondary Displays: 2 x Dell P2312H 1080p 60Hz (1920x1080)

Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum

Mouse: Logitech G703 Lightspeed Wireless Gaming Mouse

Headset: Massdrop x Sennheiser PC37X Headset

Thanks for replies!
Didn't know DP has audio capabilities (You learn something new every day) So I will use cable that comes with monitor.
You guys rock!
Got my answer so I'll lock this thread.

Specs: Core 2 Quad Q9550 OC@3.4Ghz; Asus Radeon 5850; Asus P5Q WorkStation;  6GB DDR2 800MHz

HDMI was limited to 60hz back in HDMI version 1.0 through 1.2a. Any thing above that your fine. Most anything now is 1.3 or above.  

There shouldn't be any difference in input lag between DP or HDMI.

DisplayPort can pass audio to the monitor same as HDMI.

I personally like display port I think it is a superior standard compared to HDMI however HDMI is the king when it comes to compatibility/popularity almost everything has a HDMI port on it both in the computer world and the multimedia world. You are easily going to find a HDMI cable somewhere, most monitor come with them. Display port cables are harder to come by.