Cheap riser or expensive riser for vertical GPU mod?

Bananasplit_00

Well ended up with not getting that riser from the PSU guy but now I have two options:

1. Buy a new TT 16x riser for €45 Inc shipping
  2. Buy a China riser(one of those grey ones) for €10 Inc shipping

I can get both before Friday but idk which one I should get... If I get the china one and save my money Il probably wrap it in black tape or something to not have it look so bad but im unsure if it's a good choice here :/

Thanks for the help

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

10 hours ago, W-L said:

Well the grey one is on its way here, il run some benchmarks once I get it, il swap it out if there are any problems with it. Might also swap it for my birthday in February if it doesn't look good

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

If you're worried about the aesthetics of the color, just use a black vinyl paint, it's flexible and holds quite well to wires, in my experience.

Linky for Vinyl Paint

Main Rig:

Case: Lian Li Lancool Mesh RGB

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 

Cooler: CoolerMaster MasterLiquid 240

MB: MSI B550 Gaming Pro Carbon 

Ram: Gskill DDR4 3600 x 32GB 

GPU: Asus Arez Strix Vega 64 OC

PS: Seasonic FOCUS Gold Plus Series SSR-750FX

SSD1: Crucial P1 1TB NVME

SSD2: Adata SU800 512gb M.2 Sata

HDD: Hitatchi 2tb 7200RPM + 3x 2TB WD Passport USB 3.0

Monitors: AOC C24G1

Keyboard: Cheap Blue Knockoff Mechanical

Mouse: Uhuru Gaming Mouse

Current Vintage Equipment:  Please ask me about it, I love to talk old tech!
IBM Thinkpad 390, IBM Aptiva A12, IBM PS/2 Model 25-004.  Compaq Contura 4/25C, Presario 7596
Asus P5A-B Socket 7 Box, Tandy 1000RLX-HD "B" & 1200-2FD, VIC20, Zenith ZFL-181-93, Packard Bell 300SX.

Apple II/gs, Mac Plus x2, Mac SE x2, Performa 450

6 hours ago, zombienerd said:

If you're worried about the aesthetics of the color, just use a black vinyl paint, it's flexible and holds quite well to wires, in my experience.

Linky for Vinyl Paint

Probably just going to black it out with tape, but good suggestions if I wasent such a shitty painter xD

Builds:

Spoiler

Use aluminum tape first for shielding and then a black tape over that.

10 hours ago, Lynxman said:

Use aluminum tape first for shielding and then a black tape over that.

Would that do much? Doesn't shielding have to be grounded to be any good? 

Builds:

Spoiler

You're right. It should be grounded in the motherboard end.

6 hours ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

Would that do much? Doesn't shielding have to be grounded to be any good? 

1 hour ago, Lynxman said:

You're right. It should be grounded in the motherboard end.

In general it doesn't work very well just trying to shield it yourself even with heavy weight copper or aluminum tape if you are experiencing reliability issues due to interference from what I've seen.

Thank you W-L! 

We started selling our custom riser cables a year ago and haven't had seen or heard of any issues from customers to date. 

17 years of helping you void your warranty

2 minutes ago, Mnpctech said:

Thank you W-L! 

We started selling our custom riser cables a year ago and haven't had seen or heard of any issues from customers to date. 

oh, a wild industry affiliate apears, might as well ask you then. what would the shipping cost to Sweden be? Id honestly rather NOT buy anything from TT because they kind of suck at everything. they seem to be sold out entirely at the moment and i should have the cheapo one as soon as i get back home but if i have any problems and so on

Builds:

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, Pangea2017 said:

shieling is much more complex

when dealing with really high frequence signals you have to think about your traces as condenser, same length of traces, induction and more

TT presumably did more then just adding Al-foil

Oh yah, I was just wondering if it would do ANYTHING lol

Builds:

Spoiler

On 2017-12-26 at 1:52 AM, W-L said:

pretty sure at least part of the issues im experienceing right now is due to the un shielded cable im using... unreliable boots, extremely stuttery performance, everything is slow and delayed, but i only get these issues once the graphics driver is installed and i get a resolution of over 800x600 or whatever its at without a driver. problem goes away once i move the cable around, but i cant have it more than one way with the GPU vertical. the cable i got was too short anyway so i guess il cough up the €45 for a new sheilded cable :( 

Builds:

Spoiler

10 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

pretty sure at least part of the issues im experienceing right now is due to the un shielded cable im using... unreliable boots, extremely stuttery performance, everything is slow and delayed, but i only get these issues once the graphics driver is installed and i get a resolution of over 800x600 or whatever its at without a driver. problem goes away once i move the cable around, but i cant have it more than one way with the GPU vertical. the cable i got was too short anyway so i guess il cough up the €45 for a new sheilded cable :( 

The shielded should alleviate that, I know if you need really long PCI-E risers the Thermaltake premium and ones made by Liheat are quite good. 

Liheat cables are good ones, they have a store on ebay, you can get any length and 3 choices of connector for the vga side (depends on the way you want to mount the card)

CPU: i7 8700K OC 5.0 gHz, Motherboard: Asus Maximus VIII Hero (Z170), RAM: 32gb Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200 mHz, GPU: Asus Strix OC gtx 1080ti, Storage: Samsung 950pro 500gb, samsung 860evo 500gb, 2x2Tb + 6Tb HDD,Case: Lian Li PC O11 dynamic, Cooling: Very custom loop.

CPU: i7 8700K, Motherboard Asus z390i, RAM:32gb g.skill RGB 3200, GPU: EVGA Gtx 1080ti SC Black, Storage: samsung 960evo 500gb, samsung 860evo 1tb (M.2) Case: lian li q37. Cooling: on the way to get watercooled (EKWB, HWlabs, Noctua, Barrow)

CPU: i7 9400F, Motherboard: Z170i pro gaming, RAM: 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200 mHz, GPU: Sapphire Vega56 pulse with Bykski waterblock, Storage: wd blue 500gb (windows) Samsung 860evo 500Gb (MacOS), PSU Corsair sf600 Case: Motif Monument aluminium replica, Cooling: Custom water cooling loop

38 minutes ago, MaratM said:

Liheat cables are good ones, they have a store on ebay, you can get any length and 3 choices of connector for the vga side (depends on the way you want to mount the card)

Ebay tends to have 30 day shipping times, I don't think I can stand another month without a computer tbh. Stemmed to be the same price as the one I found in Sweden anyway do il just get that I guess and cry over the price

Builds:

Spoiler