Recommend a PSU for my build?

c_marriott

Take two on this thread.

Have determined that it is the PSU so need recommendations for a new one.

Current build is:

R5 1600

2x4GB Corsair LPX 2400Mhz

MSI B350M Bazooka

R9 380X

4x 120mm Fans (2 with LED)

1x 80mm

Stock wraith cooler,

2 x SSD,

1 x 1TB HDD

As well as a large number of peripherals (Mic, Keyboard, Mouse, speakers, headphones)

Current PSU is a XFX XTR 550W, which has been fine but have determined that it is causing my PC to reboot due to lack of power so need something beefier.

Below £90 would be best.

Thanks

CPU: FX-6300 GPU: Sapphire R9 380X MOBO: Gigabyte 970A-DS3P RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB PSU: XFX XTR 550W CASE: Zalman Z11 Plus SSD: Samsung 840 Evo

17 years old, PC Enthusiast for 3. Be gentle with me, I'm only young.

27 minutes ago, c_marriott said:

Take two on this thread.

Have determined that it is the PSU so need recommendations for a new one.

Current build is:

R5 1600

2x4GB Corsair LPX 2400Mhz

MSI B350M Bazooka

R9 380X

4x 120mm Fans (2 with LED)

1x 80mm

Stock wraith cooler,

2 x SSD,

1 x 1TB HDD

As well as a large number of peripherals (Mic, Keyboard, Mouse, speakers, headphones)

Current PSU is a XFX XTR 550W, which has been fine but have determined that it is causing my PC to reboot due to lack of power so need something beefier.

Below £90 would be best.

Thanks

550W is not lacking power. RMA your PSU and use the one they send you back.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

Just now, STRMfrmXMN said:

550W is not lacking power. RMA your PSU and use the one they send you back.

That's going to take time and I really need my computer atm 

CPU: FX-6300 GPU: Sapphire R9 380X MOBO: Gigabyte 970A-DS3P RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB PSU: XFX XTR 550W CASE: Zalman Z11 Plus SSD: Samsung 840 Evo

20 minutes ago, c_marriott said:

That's going to take time and I really need my computer atm 

It would take only a couple days longer than buying one online with regular shipping.

You could go to a local store, buy a PSU and save the receipt, wait for your RMA, then return the PSU back to the store you bought, but I don't see a reason to replace your PSU.

What exactly did you do to determine that your system couldn't run with your PSU?

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

1 hour ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

What exactly did you do to determine that your system couldn't run with your PSU?

On 9.12.2017 at 12:09 AM, c_marriott said:

When looking around online I've found that people with similar setups have much higher wattage PSUs.

I think it may also be a bit of hope that I don't have to buy a new GPU..

:)

19 minutes ago, seon123 said:

Lol, a 380X and 1600 might draw 350W if you OC'd your hardware. No reason a 550W wouldn't power it unless defective.

1 hour ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

It would take only a couple days longer than buying one online with regular shipping.

You could go to a local store, buy a PSU and save the receipt, wait for your RMA, then return the PSU back to the store you bought, but I don't see a reason to replace your PSU.

Tested all of the other hardware separately, none of them have issues. Only issue was down to amount of stress on the GPU. When under load it would cause the system to reboot. Tested the GPU in a whole other system and it was fine. Can only be the PSU

2 hours ago, c_marriott said:

Tested all of the other hardware separately, none of them have issues. Only issue was down to amount of stress on the GPU. When under load it would cause the system to reboot. Tested the GPU in a whole other system and it was fine. Can only be the PSU

Have you considered that your motherboard's VRM could be getting too hot and ceasing your system to run? My board does that and that is very probably if you run your CPU under intense load and use a board with crappy VRMs like your board (and sadly most B350 boards).

9 hours ago, c_marriott said:

No it can not.

It can be a resonant problem. It can be a memory issue. It doesn't have to be the PSU at all.

Have you tried lowering the DRAM frequency and increased the voltage a bit? (something like 0.05V)

Have you taken a look at the Temperatures of the CPU?

What do you mean with 'Stress of the GPU'?? Playing a game??

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"