This crack on EKWB CPU block???????????

I purchase this ek-kit x360 in Newegg in 03/07/2017. Last week, I found out that the cup block is leaking. The coolant goes into my GPU, motherboard and power supply. AND THEIR CUSTOMERS SERVICE tell me that THIS IS NOT AN QUALITY PROBLEM. Do anyone have this situation like mine?

wx_camera_1512090160736.jpg

wx_camera_1512092070919.jpg

Two options here: Either you overtightened the fitting or the raw material was from a bad batch, the first option being the most common one.

I had four EK CPU blocks so far and none of them did that.

Might have been because of the 45° and weight of the soft tubing pulling on the edge of the block.

Did you damage any components? If not, I would just order a separate nickel top and never deal with cracks anymore.

33 minutes ago, MkaiL said:

Might have been because of the 45° and weight of the soft tubing pulling on the edge of the block.

Did you damage any components? If not, I would just order a separate nickel top and never deal with cracks anymore.

Especially because the cracks are right where the tension would be(opposite from the direction the tube goes).

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

53 minutes ago, Shansssssss said:

I purchase this ek-kit x360 in Newegg in 03/07/2017. Last week, I found out that the cup block is leaking. The coolant goes into my GPU, motherboard and power supply. AND THEIR CUSTOMERS SERVICE tell me that THIS IS NOT AN QUALITY PROBLEM. Do anyone have this situation like mine?

wx_camera_1512090160736.jpg

wx_camera_1512092070919.jpg

From the looks of things, and the way the cracks are spreading out from the outlet, it looks like you over tightened it by a lot, thusly resulting in the stress fractures shown. Over the relatively short period of time, between the (even minute) fractures produced by over tightening, the pressure from the fluid, and the heat (or some combination there of) caused the cracks to grow over time, which would then lead us to now. This is more then likely what EK is looking at, and why they would claim user error or abuse of the product (especially given the short lifespan it had).

58 minutes ago, DxMoose said:

You sure YOU didnt overtighten it ?

man how? how much power i need for that

Just now, Shansssssss said:

man how? how much power i need for that

Theres the thing, not much.. I know you probably didnt tighten it with a wrench, but well, you can even do it with hands. It just needs to compress the o-ring around the fittings, then its basically done.

Just now, DxMoose said:

Theres the thing, not much.. I know you probably didnt tighten it with a wrench, but well, you can even do it with hands. It just needs to compress the o-ring around the fittings, then its basically done.

And almost everyone here is saying you overtightened it.

Just now, DxMoose said:

but i think this is the design problem. the old version the fitting hole is in the middle of the cpu block, that may have more space to support it.

Ah man that sucks.  You can try to contact EK directly, perhaps @EK Luc or  @EK_Derick can show you the support line

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

Cracked mine, put thread tape on it and its fine. Swapped out the fittings later and just put them on, no leaks. I assumed I over tightened it aswell. Works and I didn't crack my other cpu block so its fine with me. Buy another one, maybe an mx with a metal plate one top.

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

I think its down to user error as others have pointed out. But perhaps you can bargain with EK and just buy a replacement acrylic top since the block itself is probably fine. And If you're nervous, as others have also suggested, get a Nickel top.

but guys, how do you measure if you over tighten the fitting? the only wait i know is when it cracks. 

Just turn it and once theres a bit of torsion, stop. Quite simple. Oring will do the job not tightening the shit out of it.

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

5 hours ago, Shansssssss said:

but guys, how do you measure if you over tighten the fitting? the only wait i know is when it cracks. 

well follow the phrase "hand tight" as in it should be easy to put on and off, don't force it. If you are death gripping it and twisting as hard as you can, that is NOT hand tight. just think about how tight a water bottle lid has to be until it will stop all leaks.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

On 12/4/2017 at 9:10 AM, Shansssssss said:

-Snip-

Yes, Plexi can crack much easier then there Acetal CPU counterparts. It's not the first time I seen EK Plexi Block crack. You have to very careful be tightening fittings on it.

8 hours ago, Shansssssss said:

Don't try to put all your strength into screw a fitting in. just screw it in like you would with a lid on a can, don't try to tighten it more once it sits on the block. During the leak test you will know if it's sealed. As long as you have some good O-rings and it nicely sealed it will not leak. As time goes on the fitting will tighten.

Current Build: Project Frost
Gaming Rig Build: Project Ice Dragon

8 hours ago, Shansssssss said:

Finger tight is enough, acrylic can crack fairly easily especially if it's long term stress. I've worked with some stuff making acrylic before and it's not uncommon to see cracks form after removing fasteners due to the sudden change in stress.