Is My Broadband Company Cucking Me?

ScreamSlasher5X
13 hours ago, ScreamSlasher5X said:

True. Might try my luck seeing if I can get a non contract with them first though, I don't want to be roped into an eighteen month contract when I don't plan on staying with them. By chance do you know roughly how much a company charges if you decide to switch from them while still being in contract?

Last I checked BT charge approx £17 per month... not sure about TT, but they should be able to tell you. If you only want x amount of months it might be better going with whoever is cheapest IMO, or looking as you said at a rolling contract instead...

https://www.uswitch.com/broadband/compare/short_contract_broadband/

I have to say though that IMO it's be better to get the £27 a month TT plan with free connection etc, and then leave it 6 months early for say £85, than to pay £32 a month for a rolling 1 month contract with £50 connection fee, that you might have to have for a year or more as there's no timeframe when cable will be coming to your area yet. It most likely won't be that quick in my estimation. Your call though obviously. £32 is the cheapest I have seen for 1 month contracts though and the speeds offered aren't great either...  I am not positive, but think that virgin may have some kind of sign up deal where they might pay your exit/leaving fees to go with them, might be worth asking when the time comes.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

On 07/12/2017 at 12:17 PM, paddy-stone said:

Last I checked BT charge approx £17 per month... not sure about TT, but they should be able to tell you. If you only want x amount of months it might be better going with whoever is cheapest IMO, or looking as you said at a rolling contract instead...

https://www.uswitch.com/broadband/compare/short_contract_broadband/

I have to say though that IMO it's be better to get the £27 a month TT plan with free connection etc, and then leave it 6 months early for say £85, than to pay £32 a month for a rolling 1 month contract with £50 connection fee, that you might have to have for a year or more as there's no timeframe when cable will be coming to your area yet. It most likely won't be that quick in my estimation. Your call though obviously. £32 is the cheapest I have seen for 1 month contracts though and the speeds offered aren't great either...  I am not positive, but think that virgin may have some kind of sign up deal where they might pay your exit/leaving fees to go with them, might be worth asking when the time comes.

Got a question if you know anything about it and would be willing to share some insight and it would be greatly appreciated. Would it be worth me purchasing a modem and a router? Two people are currently wired up to our current BT hub and not long after Christmas there'll will be another PC hooked up and hopefully not long after that I plan on hooking up my other brothers PC too. In total having four people hooked, I was then thinking about hooking up my console and MAYBE my sisters console adding a total of six. Well current the hub only has four ports so I'll obviously have to get something with more ports. Here's the think I don't know much about doing either or getting either. Know of anywhere that I can learn as I think it would be something I need and should learn not only for now but for the future. Once again, I appreciate you and thank you for all the help.

7 minutes ago, ScreamSlasher5X said:

Got a question if you know anything about it and would be willing to share some insight and it would be greatly appreciated. Would it be worth me purchasing a modem and a router? Two people are currently wired up to our current BT hub and not long after Christmas there'll will be another PC hooked up and hopefully not long after that I plan on hooking up my other brothers PC too. In total having four people hooked, I was then thinking about hooking up my console and MAYBE my sisters console adding a total of six. Well current the hub only has four ports so I'll obviously have to get something with more ports. Here's the think I don't know much about doing either or getting either. Know of anywhere that I can learn as I think it would be something I need and should learn not only for now but for the future. Once again, I appreciate you and thank you for all the help.

No worries mate, it's actually a very simple answer to this as they are wired... you can just buy an 8 port switch like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-LINK-TL-SG1008D-V6-Gigabit-Desktop-Switch/dp/B001EVGIYG/

Then you just hook that switch up to one port on the router, that's it. Then just connect your wires from consoles etc up to the switch instead of the router.

I wouldn't worry about getting another router at this point, not unless you're having problems with the one you have disconnecting etc.. especially as you may be moving to have cable internet instead some time soon. Cable modems are different from DSL modems, so IMO it wouldn't be worth investing in one just yet. A router on the other hand can be used on both DSL and cable, you just have a cable connecting from the modem to the router's WAN port, everything else get's plugged in to the router, and the router does the hard work... again the switch can still be used with whatever router, so that's not going to be a waste of money buying or anything as that will come in handy no matter which one you use.

Hope that helps.

Spoiler
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  •  
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  •  
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  •  
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

2 hours ago, paddy-stone said:

No worries mate, it's actually a very simple answer to this as they are wired... you can just buy an 8 port switch like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-LINK-TL-SG1008D-V6-Gigabit-Desktop-Switch/dp/B001EVGIYG/

Then you just hook that switch up to one port on the router, that's it. Then just connect your wires from consoles etc up to the switch instead of the router.

I wouldn't worry about getting another router at this point, not unless you're having problems with the one you have disconnecting etc.. especially as you may be moving to have cable internet instead some time soon. Cable modems are different from DSL modems, so IMO it wouldn't be worth investing in one just yet. A router on the other hand can be used on both DSL and cable, you just have a cable connecting from the modem to the router's WAN port, everything else get's plugged in to the router, and the router does the hard work... again the switch can still be used with whatever router, so that's not going to be a waste of money buying or anything as that will come in handy no matter which one you use.

Hope that helps.

It did indeed. If I kept the same router that I have now when I make the switch to cable and have the switch hooked up will the router effect speeds? Unless Virgin give me one for free then that's a different story E.G. Having lets say 100Mb speed going to the router but then to the switch and then through the cables to the devices?

OK, let's say for example you switch to virgin, they have their own all-in-one modem/router.. all you need to do is connect the switch to it, everything else will be the same as you're gonna buy the switch first right?

The switch is gigabit, the modem/router from virgin IIRC is gigabit, so the only thing that might slow down the speed would be if your devices themselves aren't gigabit. You can't keep the router you have now for virgin, as they are completely different technologies, plus BT and other providers of all-in-one modem/routers usually make changes to them so that you CAN'T use them with any other service.

On the other hand if you were to buy a router of your own, don't bother with modem because as I said before the technology will be changing when you switch to cable. You can though just get a router, this would then connect to your BT all-in-one that has been put into [modem only] mode, then when you change to cable, you wouldn't need to touch anything downstream of the router... you would simply have the cable box put into modem only mode too, and connect to the router you already had bought as above. This is a simplistic explanation, and doesn't cover things like if you have anything port forwarded and such, but assuming you don't do any of that stuff then that is how it would go.

There are plenty of good routers out there, just be aware that changing routers can of course affect wifi range as some are better than others... and it doesn't take into consideration the layout of your house and the materials that are used that may cause interference to the signal.

Spoiler
  •  
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  •  
  •  
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

On 12/1/2017 at 9:22 PM, tt2468 said:

Ah well there's your problem. BT simply sucks ass, and they really don't give a flying hoot about you or your fellow customers.

I'm with BT and I've never had a single problem. There is 6 people living in the house. My brother an I both play games and download. No issues with speeds. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.