CPU heat goes really high for no reason

Vaielab

This summer I bought a new computer.

I don't use my computer for a lots of stuff, word, excel, little bit of coding, and youtube.

I wanted a really fast computer and a quiet one.

So I bought an i7-7700k with a asus prime b250m board, no graphics cards (using the cpu), and a coolermaster hyper t4 for cpu cooling.

To be the most quiest possible, I bought an thermaltake suppressor f31.

Most of the time, it is super quiet, and based on my sensors, the cpu temperature stay around 32-33°C

But sometime, most of the time when I compile some code (real small application), the temperature will go up to 88-90, and the fan will start spinning and making a lots of sound.

And after a little whiles, the temperature will drop almost instantly and the fan will be quiet again.

Is it possible that something was badly done when making the computer, or thoses gaps in temperature are normal?

And is there a way to reduce the amount of noise while the cpu is getting hot, or at least, to reduce the temperature of the cpu?

Thank you

Could try reapplying thermal paste to the CPU but it could also just be from Intel using shitty TIM on their CPU's to begin with. Their 6700k and 7700k are pretty notorious for getting to hot. Especially on Asus boards if you have the multicore enhancement thing turned on in your bios, but im not sure if B350 mobos even have that option as I don't have a B350 mobo or Skylake/Kabylake CPU.

Gaming Desktop - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus, 32GB Cosair Vengenace LP 3600mhz, EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra,  Sabrent Rocket 4 1TB NVME SSD, WD Blue SN570 NVME SSD, 4TB Mass storage, EVGA 750W G2, Corsair 270R

How much thermal compound was applied to the CPU heatspreader? Is the mounting pressure even?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Try a prolonged stress test and see what happens. Those numbers aren't completely insane, but they do seem a little abnormal. Blaming it on Intel TIM a little tin foil hatty if you ask me. Yeah sure it's bad, but not that bad... it usually only starts to matter for people who are pushing the voltages up during heavy overclocking.

If it not only heats up, but also starts to throttle under a synthetic load, go ahead and try a reapplication of thermal paste and test again, and if that doesn't clear up the issue, the next most likely cause is a weak cooler. Personally I've never owned anything but a 240mm radiator, so I don't know for sure where the line is between enough and not enough when it comes to air coolers. The T4 looks bigger than a stock Intel cooler, so I would guess that it would be enough at stock clock speeds... Just a guess though.

If it doesn't throttle under synthetic load and the temps stay under 100c, you're probably fine to continue using the machine with no worries.

3 hours ago, Vaielab said:

This summer I bought a new computer.

I don't use my computer for a lots of stuff, word, excel, little bit of coding, and youtube.

I wanted a really fast computer and a quiet one.

So I bought an i7-7700k with a asus prime b250m board, no graphics cards (using the cpu), and a coolermaster hyper t4 for cpu cooling.

To be the most quiest possible, I bought an thermaltake suppressor f31.

Most of the time, it is super quiet, and based on my sensors, the cpu temperature stay around 32-33°C

But sometime, most of the time when I compile some code (real small application), the temperature will go up to 88-90, and the fan will start spinning and making a lots of sound.

And after a little whiles, the temperature will drop almost instantly and the fan will be quiet again.

Is it possible that something was badly done when making the computer, or thoses gaps in temperature are normal?

And is there a way to reduce the amount of noise while the cpu is getting hot, or at least, to reduce the temperature of the cpu?

Thank you

have you oc the cpu? if not see in bios sometimes by default they have more voltage see if this is the case and drop a little the voltage

I'd definitely say the t4 isn't up to the task of keeping a 7700k reasonably cool, even at stock. You could try removing the cooler and reapplying paste but don't hold your breath for a temp decrease. There are two things that may help you, delidding the cpu and replacing the tim, or if you're not keen on voiding your warranty, get a better cooler capable of handling all that heat

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

31 minutes ago, Cyracus said:

I'd definitely say the t4 isn't up to the task of keeping a 7700k reasonably cool, even at stock. You could try removing the cooler and reapplying paste but don't hold your breath for a temp decrease. There are two things that may help you, delidding the cpu and replacing the tim, or if you're not keen on voiding your warranty, get a better cooler capable of handling all that heat

Even an Intel cooler should be able to keep it cool enough at stock.  It's probably not mounted properly.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

5 hours ago, Megah3rtz said:

I don't think a T4 is enough to cool it. 

It should be just enough unless the OP is unlucky with a high voltage chip. 

@Vaielab Have you checked to make sure that Multi-core enhancement is turned off in the motherboard settings? It's effectively and auto-oc and result in higher temps than stock. 

44 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

Even an Intel cooler should be able to keep it cool enough at stock.  It's probably not mounted properly.

It's not enough. The 7700k doesn't come with a stock cooler and throttles due to temps when using the copper slug cooler that comes with i5/i7's.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Just now, WoodenMarker said:

It's not enough. The 7700k doesn't come with a stock cooler and throttles due to temps when using the copper slug cooler that comes with i5/i7's.

It was fine for my 4790k (even with a slight overclock), and that runs hotter than the 7700k.

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

47 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

It was fine for my 4790k (even with a slight overclock), and that runs hotter than the 7700k.

I thought the general consensus was that the 7700k ran hotter than the 4790k at stock.

From personal experience, I've noticed higher temp spikes with the 7700k when using an i5/i7 copper slug cooler. I'm having trouble finding any comparisons though since comparing cpu temps across generations isn't the most popular discussion. Do you have any data on 4790k vs 7700k temps?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Just now, WoodenMarker said:

I thought the general consensus was that the 7700k ran hotter than the 4790k at stock.

From personal experience, I've noticed higher temp spikes with the 7700k when using an i5/i7 copper slug cooler. I'm having trouble finding any comparisons though since comparing cpu temps across generations isn't the most popular discussion. Do you have any data on 4790k vs 7700k temps?

I don't.  Maybe you're right.  I honestly thought that Haswell was hotter than Kaby Lake (not counting the strange random spikes that caused Intel to recommend not overclocking), but I can't think of a specific instance where I've seen comparisons.

Hi there

Thanks for the answers.

Here are some more informations:

I did not overclock anything, pretty much everything in the bios is by default except for virtualization settings.

I had this computer made for me since I did not have time to check everything out (I'm a little bit rusty, the last computer I mount was 8years ago), so I do not know if they have put any thermal paste.

A lots of you said that the t4 might not be good enough for a i7-7700k, what would you recommand? (If possible without any leds)

Also, is there a way to verify if there is enough thermal paste without having to unmount everything and reapplying some other?

@NowThatsDamp you talk about some stress tests, could you recommand one, and tell me how do I see if result are abnormal?

Thank you

2 hours ago, Vaielab said:

I had this computer made for me since I did not have time to check everything out (I'm a little bit rusty, the last computer I mount was 8years ago), so I do not know if they have put any thermal paste.

If they didn't, it would show in idle temps too. Imo this is clear case of too high voltages and too small heatsink. Check with some software how high voltages go when its under heavier load.

A lots of you said that the t4 might not be good enough for a i7-7700k, what would you recommand? (If possible without any leds)

Depends on budget, but H7 is good one. With bit more H5, Dark Rock 3, U12S and U14S and so on.

Also, is there a way to verify if there is enough thermal paste without having to unmount everything and reapplying some other?

No. I would check voltages first.

@NowThatsDamp you talk about some stress tests, could you recommand one, and tell me how do I see if result are abnormal?

OCCT, Aida64, even general benchmark like 3DMark FireStrike. Run it and have some temp monitoring software going. Preferably CPU-Z or similar for voltage readings. Check what average between cores is during test and what highest temp in single core is. Under 80C or at 80C is good and normal. Over 85C is hot, over 90C alarming.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Hello,

So I installed CPUID HWMonitor to see my stats and did a OCCT tests. The tests lasted exactly 14seconds before telling me that the cpu was over maximum value. Value reached 89.

I'm guessing this is not normal. While looking inside my computer, I saw that the heat sink had some jiggle room, is this normal?

Anyway, not too sure what data you need to help me, so I'll make a screenshot of HWMonitor with it's data and the result of the short OCCT test.

Thank you again.

2017-11-20-20h49-CpuUsage-CPU Usage.png

2017-11-20-20h49-Frequency-Bus.png

2017-11-20-20h49-Frequency-CPU #0.png

2017-11-20-20h49-Memory Usage-Memory Used.png

2017-11-20-20h49-Temperature-Core #0.png

2017-11-20-20h49-Temperature-Core #1.png

2017-11-20-20h49-Temperature-Core #2.png

2017-11-20-20h49-Temperature-Core #3.png

2017-11-20-20h49-Temperature-CPU.png

2017-11-20-20h49-Temperature-GPU.png

2017-11-20-20h49-Voltage-+3.3V.png

2017-11-20-20h49-Voltage-+5V.png

2017-11-20-20h49-Voltage-+12V.png

2017-11-20-20h49-Voltage-GT Offset.png

2017-11-20-20h49-Voltage-IA Offset.png

2017-11-20-20h49-Voltage-LLC-Ring Offset.png

2017-11-20-20h49-Voltage-System Agent Offset.png

2017-11-20-20h49-Voltage-VCORE.png

2017-11-20-20h49-Voltage-VID.png

2017-11-20-20h49-Voltage-VIN3.png

2017-11-20-20h49-Voltage-VIN4.png

HWMonitor.txt

HWMonitor.png

15 hours ago, Vaielab said:

I did not overclock anything, pretty much everything in the bios is by default except for virtualization settings.

In that case, Multi-core enhancement is probably turned on. Turn it off and see if that solves the issue. 

take off your cooler and see if there's any paste first and try remounting it.

14 seconds is way too short for it to crash due to a stress load.

Voltage isn't issue. Being under 1.23V. Next up remount and new paste.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

I just bought some thermal paste from amazon, as soon as I get it, I switch it, and keep you posted

Thanks agains!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there,

Just an quick update... amazon finally delivered the thermal paste (they lost my package), after putting new one, I launch a new OCCT test and the temperature stay stable at 65degres.

Thank you all for the help!