Ordered extra fans. Can I plug them into the aio header ?

So I am a newbie into setting up cooling. I purchased an Asus Maximus X Hero along with a Corsair 570x which comes in with 3 fans. I ordered a Deepcool Gammaxx GT air cooler along as well in order to cool the i5 8600k cpu I got.

I felt it would be nicer to add in a few more fans to get a bit more RGB vibe on it and order a 3 pack HD120 fans. 

Now comes the problem. I didn't forsee at all the number of 4 pin headers available to make this connection. I have to use the chassis fan 1,2,3 to setup the already available SP120s of the corsair 570x case. In addition to that I will be using the CPU FAN1 to control the air cooler. 

Looking at the motherboard manually shows me that I do have a few more 4 pin headers left on the board but I don't know if it's a good idea to use the remaining headers to setup my HD120s. 

I believe that header is a constant one that you cannot control, but I'd check the manual.

Edit: Just looked, the default is fixed, but can be changed in the BIOS.

Also remember not to connect the HD fans to the SP hub. A lot of people make that error, so just a heads up. You have to use the hub that comes w/ it.

Why not? The mobo can handle all of them at once without problem.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

11 minutes ago, evila89 said:

So I am a newbie into setting up cooling. I purchased an Asus Maximus X Hero along with a Corsair 570x which comes in with 3 fans. I ordered a Deepcool Gammaxx GT air cooler along as well in order to cool the i5 8600k cpu I got.

I felt it would be nicer to add in a few more fans to get a bit more RGB vibe on it and order a 3 pack HD120 fans. 

Now comes the problem. I didn't forsee at all the number of 4 pin headers available to make this connection. I have to use the chassis fan 1,2,3 to setup the already available SP120s of the corsair 570x case. In addition to that I will be using the CPU FAN1 to control the air cooler. 

Looking at the motherboard manually shows me that I do have a few more 4 pin headers left on the board but I don't know if it's a good idea to use the remaining headers to setup my HD120s. 

You can try, but i would just get a fan hub that connects via USB 2.0

CPU: Ryzen 1700@3.9ghz; GPU: EVGA 560 Ti 1gb; RAM: 16gb 2x8 Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3000; PCPP: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/b3xzzM

16 minutes ago, Legendarypoet said:

I believe that header is a constant one that you cannot control, but I'd check the manual.

I took a look at the manual and I do see something interesting. So the Maximus X Hero has this setup called Q-Fan and can control the following. Looks like I can control all of these (include AIO_PUMP and W_PUMP+) using Q-Fan control by setting them to PWM and assigning a fan curve ( 2nd screenshot ).

I can give this a shot. Do you think it's safe ? Would it cause any damage to other components on the board ? 

image.png.9b4ffe55e83064a82cd76833a96ee87e.png

image.png.6b346e36d8183ab1f01df9cca60899a9.png

2 minutes ago, evila89 said:

I took a look at the manual and I do see something interesting. So the Maximus X Hero has this setup called Q-Fan and can control the following. Looks like I can control all of these (include AIO_PUMP and W_PUMP+) using Q-Fan control by setting them to PWM and assigning a fan curve ( 2nd screenshot ).

I can give this a shot. Do you think it's safe ? Would it cause any damage to other components on the board ? 

Should be fine. I looked at the manual since I wasn't doing anything.

Do checked the warning in my original edited post about the HDs.

28 minutes ago, Legendarypoet said:

Excellent. Oh yeah, I did note this one Luke said this on his review on the 570x. Thanks a lot for clearing this up man. Appreciate it. I will post an update as soon as I have put the rig together.

Just use fan splitters or even a fan hub, especially if you have a lot of fans that you want to be controlled by the CPU temp for example. Fan splitters are pretty cheap, maybe a few dollars, hubs can run to about $20 maybe, I have a thermaltake commander 10 port hub, very small and powers from a sata connector... comes with the lead to connect to to the PWM header. Just bear on mind that ALL fans connected to the hub will run at the same percentage set in your fan curve for the CPU/mobo etc. If it's just a few fans then splitters would be best and much cheaper.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

51 minutes ago, paddy-stone said:

Just use fan splitters or even a fan hub, especially if you have a lot of fans that you want to be controlled by the CPU temp for example. Fan splitters are pretty cheap, maybe a few dollars, hubs can run to about $20 maybe, I have a thermaltake commander 10 port hub, very small and powers from a sata connector... comes with the lead to connect to to the PWM header. Just bear on mind that ALL fans connected to the hub will run at the same percentage set in your fan curve for the CPU/mobo etc. If it's just a few fans then splitters would be best and much cheaper.

I hear ya, under normal circumstances that's what I would have done, or even got a corsair commander pro to handle the fans, but at the moment I have access to neither. Looks like the board functionality can keep me going till the next month till I get a commander pro down :)

On 11/19/2017 at 7:14 PM, Legendarypoet said:

Alright so I took a look at the bios. It appears that it doesn't allow controlling the aio header or the wpump+ header ( the fan curve is not adjustable when I select aio header or wpump+ ). Any other options you would recommend ?

6 hours ago, evila89 said:

Alright so I took a look at the bios. It appears that it doesn't allow controlling the aio header or the wpump+ header ( the fan curve is not adjustable when I select aio header or wpump+ ). Any other options you would recommend ?

The Corsair Commander Pro for sure.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, so I actually got it to work. Just switch to pwm mode on the aio and the curve becomes editable in bios :)

12 hours ago, evila89 said:

Hi, so I actually got it to work. Just switch to pwm mode on the aio and the curve becomes editable in bios :)

Yeah its under advanced settings. As long as you stick under 1a for each header you'll be allright. I have two fans on each on my strix board.