To Freesync or not to Freesync

Guest DL__
Go to solution Solved by TheRandomness,

-Thread moved to Displays.

18 minutes ago, DL__ said:

And yes, thank you for letting me know. I was already planning on getting an AMD GPU for it,

To be fair, except Vega 56 or 64, AMD doesn't really have an upgrade from 980Ti. And both of those cost so much it is really not worth upgrading. How about going for a G-Sync monitor?

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

Well honestly, any AMD GPU you buy won't be much better than the 980Ti, just saying. Only Vega64, and not by much.

Ultrawides with freesync are way cheaper

1 minute ago, Bouzoo said:

To be fair, except Vega 56 or 64, AMD doesn't really have an upgrade from 980Ti. And both of those cost so much it is really not worth upgrading. How about going for a G-Sync monitor?

Just now, The Oddball said:

Well honestly, any AMD GPU you buy won't be much better than the 980Ti, just saying. Only Vega64, and not by much.

Well Vega 64 is an upgrade, and depending on the game he may get up to ~20 FPS, which is worth it on monitors with higher refresh rate. But not at the current price. I'd keep the 980Ti and wait for next round or a sale. 

Just now, DL__ said:

Ultrawides with freesync are way cheaper

Cheaper than an ultrawide + selling/and or buying a new AMD equivalent or better than a 980Ti? I'd double check on that. 

28 minutes ago, DL__ said:

I want to make a PC last as long as possible while providing smooth game play. Is free sync a good option? All I want Is buttery smooth game play. My rig is on my profile.

Yes, freesync is great and cheap to implement, so many budget moniters have it

CPU: Ryzen 1700@3.9ghz; GPU: EVGA 560 Ti 1gb; RAM: 16gb 2x8 Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3000; PCPP: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/b3xzzM

Just now, Bouzoo said:

Cheaper than an ultrawide + selling/and or buying a new AMD equivalent or better than a 980Ti? I'd double check on that. 

I Acknowledge your statement . but I am not looking for anything more than smooth fps in games   , I am not convinced. I am perfectly fine with selling my 980ti for a 580 or a vega 56 or 64, I just want buttery smooth frame rates without stuttering or lag. 

2.PNG.d248882f2ce10f0d94942a7afd7b33a8.PNG1.PNG.f0d18707de6ba0911c26924078a9f3e3.PNG

3.PNG.40d25b6814fda06253f84973321a162e.PNG

And I do not care if the graphics quality has to be turned down as long as the game runs smoothly

18 minutes ago, DL__ said:

I Acknowledge your statement . but I am not looking for anything more than smooth fps in games   , I am not convinced. I am perfectly fine with selling my 980ti for a 580 or a vega 56 or 64, I just want buttery smooth frame rates without stuttering or lag. 

Lemme put it this way. G-Sync and Freesync have both it's upsides and downsides. However getting a 580 is a downgrade, and benefits from Vega 56 for the price are not worth it with current pricing, even after selling your 980Ti, you will have to add what, $350-400 minimum for a Vega56 (someone correct me on this), and even more for Vega 64. I'm all for Freesync, however in this case you might be investing money for something that is not necessarily an upgrade, and by the hundreds of dollars. That's why I said double check it. NV + G-Sync is the same as AMD+Freesync, even better in some parts due to the physical module, you can check all in details here. Also G-Sync usually has a higher rr range on which it works. 

Furthermore, you are comparing wrong monitors. You're taking Freesync monitors with 60Hz rr and G-sync with up to 144Hz (and even more bells and whistles than that). Entry level budget monitors to pretty high end stuff, if we exclude professional monitors. That is a huge difference. A good comparison would be the same monitors with both sync options or different monitors with similar/same specs.

Monitor Type FreeSync Price G-Sync Price
24” 1080p 144 Hz AOC G2460PF $249 AOC G2460PG $449
24” 1080p 240 Hz TN ViewSonic XG2530 $449 Acer Predator XB252Q $549
27” 1440p 144 Hz IPS Acer XF270HU $599 Acer Predator XB271HU (OC to 165 Hz) $799
27” 4K 60 Hz IPS Acer H277HK $649 Acer Predator XB271HK $879
34” 1440p 21:9 100 Hz VA Philips 349X7 $899 AOC AG352UCG $1099
35” 1080p 21:9 144 Hz VA Acer XZ350CU $599 Acer Predator Z301C (OC to 200 Hz) $799

To put it in perspective, going for a GPU upgrade of $350+ and saving $200-$250 on a monitor is not worth it (imo). You do the math. And 980Ti is slightly worse than a GTX 1070, a bit more in DX12 than in DX11 and lower. It should last you until next GPU lines.

In the end you're the one doing the purchase, I just want to show you that you're making wrong comparisons in some area, and that you're possibly not really getting the best for your money, I'd say even losing money. 

14 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

Lemme put it this way. G-Sync and Freesync have both it's upsides and downsides. However getting a 580 is a downgrade, and benefits from Vega 56 for the price are not worth it with current pricing, even after selling your 980Ti, you will have to add what, $350-400 minimum for a Vega56 (someone correct me on this), and even more for Vega 64. I'm all for Freesync, however in this case you might be investing money for something that is not necessarily an upgrade, and by the hundreds of dollars. That's why I said double check it. NV + G-Sync is the same as AMD+Freesync, even better in some parts due to the physical module, you can check all in details here. Also G-Sync usually has a higher rr range on which it works. 

Furthermore, you are comparing wrong monitors. You're taking Freesync monitors with 60Hz rr and G-sync with up to 144Hz (and even more bells and whistles than that). Entry level budget monitors to pretty high end stuff, if we exclude professional monitors. That is a huge difference. A good comparison would be the same monitors with both sync options or different monitors with similar/same specs.

Monitor Type FreeSync Price G-Sync Price
24” 1080p 144 Hz AOC G2460PF $249 AOC G2460PG $449
24” 1080p 240 Hz TN ViewSonic XG2530 $449 Acer Predator XB252Q $549
27” 1440p 144 Hz IPS Acer XF270HU $599 Acer Predator XB271HU (OC to 165 Hz) $799
27” 4K 60 Hz IPS Acer H277HK $649 Acer Predator XB271HK $879
34” 1440p 21:9 100 Hz VA Philips 349X7 $899 AOC AG352UCG $1099
35” 1080p 21:9 144 Hz VA Acer XZ350CU $599 Acer Predator Z301C (OC to 200 Hz) $799

To put it in perspective, going for a GPU upgrade of $350+ and saving $200-$250 on a monitor is not worth it (imo). You do the math. And 980Ti is slightly worse than a GTX 1070, a bit more in DX12 than in DX11 and lower. It should last you until next GPU lines.

In the end you're the one doing the purchase, I just want to show you that you're making wrong comparisons in some area, and that you're possibly not really getting the best for your money, I'd say even losing money. 

I do appreciate this, but I have to upgrade my system anyway which I probably should have mentioned, I am selling my old monitor for $200 to get a $220 freesync monitor and I recently bought the 980ti, and Since my processor cant handle smooth fps, anyway, I am happy to return the 980ti for a cheaper gpu. Also, I dont need 144 hz, I just want the game to run smoothly

In the near future, i am going to get a intel core i7-8700 with a good amd gpu for freesync

1 hour ago, DL__ said:

And yes, thank you for letting me know. I was already planning on getting an AMD GPU for it,

What GPU are you intending on getting?

Frankly if you already have a 980 Ti, the only AMD GPU worth buying is a Vega 64 - and that's quite the expensive upgrade.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Just now, dalekphalm said:

What GPU are you intending on getting?

Frankly if you already have a 980 Ti, the only AMD GPU worth buying is a Vega 64 - and that's quite the expensive upgrade.

But I can easily return the 980ti, the 980ti was a test to show me what I wanted In reguards to gaming performace before I did a whole system upgrade. My results found that I needed a more powerful cpu as well. But i am still good with my fx series. But I also want to experience adaptive sync first before upgrading

my original gpu was a r9 280x

11 minutes ago, DL__ said:

I am happy to return the 980ti for a cheaper gpu. 

The only cheaper AMD cards worth getting is the 580. However for an ultrawide, you mentioned this:

38 minutes ago, DL__ said:

I am perfectly fine with selling my 980ti for a 580 or a vega 56 or 64, I just want buttery smooth frame rates without stuttering or lag. 

Two of those are much, much more expensive, and a 580 for 2560x1080, depending on the games you'll be playing, it might not last you that long.

1 minute ago, Bouzoo said:

The only cheaper AMD cards worth getting is the 580. However for an ultrawide, you mentioned this:

Two of those are much, much more expensive.

Good point, but I also would be happy with using 1080p instead of 2k

1 minute ago, DL__ said:

But I can easily return the 980ti, the 980ti was a test to show me what I wanted In reguards to gaming performace before I did a whole system upgrade. My results found that I needed a more powerful cpu as well. But i am still good with my fx series. But I also want to experience adaptive sync first before upgrading

Well none the less, if you're going to go for an AMD GPU, the Vega 64 is the one to look at.

I'd also definitely replace that FX CPU ASAP - if only to get a modern chipset with better features.

You should consider both AMD Ryzen as well as the Intel i-series. Depends on what you want to do with the system, outside of gaming. Ryzen is a good gaming CPU but a great multi-tasking CPU. i7's are decent at multitasking and great at gaming. Though to be honest, many games won't even have a noticeable difference (I'm comparing Ryzen 7 to i7 in this case).

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Well none the less, if you're going to go for an AMD GPU, the Vega 64 is the one to look at.

I'd also definitely replace that FX CPU ASAP - if only to get a modern chipset with better features.

You should consider both AMD Ryzen as well as the Intel i-series. Depends on what you want to do with the system, outside of gaming. Ryzen is a good gaming CPU but a great multi-tasking CPU. i7's are decent at multitasking and great at gaming. Though to be honest, many games won't even have a noticeable difference (I'm comparing Ryzen 7 to i7 in this case).

I rely on user benchmark for those results. I want good performance for old and new games. So I need that good single core performance. I am leaning towards an 8700k

3 minutes ago, DL__ said:

I rely on user benchmark for those results. I want good performance for old and new games. So I need that good single core performance. I am leaning towards an 8700k

Older games will fly on either a Ryzen 7 or an i7. Both will be very fast. Very few games will be held back by the Ryzen 7.

But if you want to get an i7-8700K? Sure, no problem with that.

2 minutes ago, DL__ said:

Good point, but I also would be happy with using 1080p instead of 2k

2560x1080 (what you're getting) is 25% more pixels than 1080p. And actually 1080p is 2K. :P

Anyway, I wouldn't recommend a 580 over a 980Ti. If you want buttery smooth framerate, the first thing to take into consideration is the raw power, and you can see that here. There is no sync that will help you with less power to push frames. THe 580 is not a bad GPU, but since you have a 980Ti, I'd really suggest keeping it. 

Just now, DL__ said:

Since you're mostly gaming, as I understand here, go with 8600K and save a lot of money. Like >$120. And put it towards a G-Sync monitor. :P

er games will fly on either a Ryzen 7 or an i7. Both will be very fast. Very few games will be held back by the Ryzen 7.

But if you want to get an i7-8700K? Sure, no problem with that.

But back to freesync, by returning my 980ti for a rx 580 8gb, I should be able to run battlefield between 40 and 75 fps correct?

1 hour ago, DL__ said:

How would you enable it?

In AMD Catalyst Control Center I believe. Not too use as I've never used Freesync. Got a monitor that has it, but I'm running a Nvidia card, so only G-Sync works for me. Got one a few weeks ago.

Nyaaah~! UwU

Since I al already able to run it at average 60 fps with a minimum of 50