Quick 'n dirty mod: ATX board in an ITX case.

Three years ago I made a little ITX-based storage server. It was based on an AMD E-350 board with four 3TB WD Red drives, all fitted inside this Cooler Master Elite 120 enclosure. I've always wanted to do some light virtualization on this server, but the dual core CPU that I had was just too damn slow to do this.

Recently I upgraded my own desktop, this left me with an Asrock 970 Extreme3 motherboard (with an AMD FX-6100 CPU and 16 GB's of DDR3 memory installed). That got me thinking: this hardware would almost triple the performance of my little server.

Only one slight problem: fitting an ATX board inside a case designed for mini ITX. I didn't want to buy an ATX case (it wouldn't have been able to fit on my little server shelf). So I started to investigate modding the CM Elite 120.

A quick look at the dimensions of the board and the case revealed that It could be done, so I grabbed my tools and went ahead with it.

1.thumb.jpg.31308f6106ffa94e17484c54d9060576.jpg

First I stripped down the case. After doing that I made a paper template of the board with all the mounting holes marked.

Once satisfied with the position I drilled the holes and threaded in some standoffs.

2.thumb.jpg.5abc48c3091f539c135a3cdabbdf5b4c.jpg

Board and front intake fan mounted in place. Fortunately there is enough horizontal clearance for that humongous Scythe Mugen cooler.

3.thumb.jpg.b76a8856fd3303114b68ae2c8f9e0800.jpg

Top view, it all fits.

4.thumb.jpg.30f776ee1c57d8ccc2cce7de9496fe77.jpg

I designed and 3D printed a custom drive mount solution. It's a simple design aimed at printing speed, a fancier mount with more supports would've taken forever to print.

First I wanted to reuse the original metal drive cage, but unfortunately It only holds three drives and it wouldn't have been able to fit above the board with the fourth drive on top.

5.thumb.jpg.da1687834d373cea0da4fc89bccb9d07.jpg

Drive mounts in place. It's surprisingly rigid with little to no flex in all directions.

6.thumb.jpg.8efd8a954b76426e5d5c4fee7bf24d02.jpg

I bolted the PSU to the back of the case using the original PSU bracket. With a low profile CPU cooler I might have been able to mount it in its original location.

The PSU also acts as an exhaust fan by drawing in air through the large cutouts in the back of the case and blowing it out the side.

7.thumb.jpg.9890695e15c7a8dc5b1810e2b5184fce.jpg

Other side. Everything is packed in nicely.

8.thumb.jpg.ced9b6c04cf78cefaa3ef28024bf7a18.jpg

Completed system back on its little shelf.

I used an angle grinder to make a cutout in the side panel for the I/O shield (not shown).

9.thumb.jpg.33602619ad3a44236feb301ecb028e20.jpg

Final result.

Main Linux rig: HP Elitebook 2560P (i5-2410M, 8 GB, Pop! OS)

Living room/couch gaming rig: AMD 5800X, Asus TUF Radeon 6900 XT, 32 GB, 65" LG C1 OLED

Home server and internet gateway: Dell Optiplex 3040 MFF (i5-6500T, 16 GB, Ubuntu Server 22.04 LTS)

Phone: Asus Zenfone 10

Looks good! I also love the fact there's a bunch of hardware on the side of the shelf :D

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

Just now, samcool55 said:

Looks good! I also love the fact there's a bunch of hardware on the side of the shelf :D

Thanks. Luke's networking wall video inspired me to mount it this way, this corner of the garage is kind of the networking hub for the whole house.

Here is a better shot of it (from before the modded server):

IMG_20171105_223304.thumb.jpg.44f0206a7ba2cb3136ff4a86532c5d8d.jpg

It's all powered by a UPS down on the floor.

Future upgrades include a managed PoE switch to power the two Ubiquiti Access Points, and maybe a small patch panel to make things a little cleaner.

Living room/couch gaming rig: AMD 5800X, Asus TUF Radeon 6900 XT, 32 GB, 65" LG C1 OLED

Home server and internet gateway: Dell Optiplex 3040 MFF (i5-6500T, 16 GB, Ubuntu Server 22.04 LTS)

20 minutes ago, Just.Oblivious said:

Three years ago I made a little ITX-based storage server. It was based on an AMD E-350 board with four 3TB WD Red drives, all fitted inside this Cooler Master Elite 120 enclosure. I've always wanted to do some light virtualization on this server, but the dual core CPU that I had was just too damn slow to do this.

Recently I upgraded my own desktop, this left me with an Asrock 970 Extreme3 motherboard (with an AMD FX-6100 CPU and 16 GB's of DDR3 memory installed). That got me thinking: this hardware would almost triple the performance of my little server.

Only one slight problem: fitting an ATX board inside a case designed for mini ITX. I didn't want to buy an ATX case (it wouldn't have been able to fit on my little server shelf). So I started to investigate modding the CM Elite 120.

A quick look at the dimensions of the board and the case revealed that It could be done, so I grabbed my tools and went ahead with it.

1.thumb.jpg.31308f6106ffa94e17484c54d9060576.jpg

First I stripped down the case. After doing that I made a paper template of the board with all the mounting holes marked.

Once satisfied with the position I drilled the holes and threaded in some standoffs.

2.thumb.jpg.5abc48c3091f539c135a3cdabbdf5b4c.jpg

Board and front intake fan mounted in place. Fortunately there is enough horizontal clearance for that humongous Scythe Mugen cooler.

3.thumb.jpg.b76a8856fd3303114b68ae2c8f9e0800.jpg

Top view, it all fits.

4.thumb.jpg.30f776ee1c57d8ccc2cce7de9496fe77.jpg

I designed and 3D printed a custom drive mount solution. It's a simple design aimed at printing speed, a fancier mount with more supports would've taken forever to print.

First I wanted to reuse the original metal drive cage, but unfortunately It only holds three drives and it wouldn't have been able to fit above the board with the fourth drive on top.

5.thumb.jpg.da1687834d373cea0da4fc89bccb9d07.jpg

Drive mounts in place. It's surprisingly rigid with little to no flex in all directions.

6.thumb.jpg.8efd8a954b76426e5d5c4fee7bf24d02.jpg

I bolted the PSU to the back of the case using the original PSU bracket. With a low profile CPU cooler I might have been able to mount it in its original location.

The PSU also acts as an exhaust fan by drawing in air through the large cutouts in the back of the case and blowing it out the side.

7.thumb.jpg.9890695e15c7a8dc5b1810e2b5184fce.jpg

Other side. Everything is packed in nicely.

8.thumb.jpg.ced9b6c04cf78cefaa3ef28024bf7a18.jpg

Completed system back on its little shelf.

I used an angle grinder to make a cutout in the side panel for the I/O shield (not shown).

9.thumb.jpg.33602619ad3a44236feb301ecb028e20.jpg

Final result.

Gewoon geweldig

4 minutes ago, Just.Oblivious said:

Thanks. Luke's networking wall video inspired me to mount it this way, this corner of the garage is kind of the networking hub for the whole house.

Here is a better shot of it (from before the modded server):

-snip-

It's all powered by a UPS down on the floor.

Future upgrades include a managed PoE switch to power the two Ubiquiti Access Points, and maybe a small patch panel to make things a little cleaner.

:D ziet er fantastisch uit.

About the ubiquiti stuff, how good does it actually work? I've heard good things about it but i've never seen someone actually use it at home for example.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

thats pretty cool

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Wow, looks really good. It’s a lot better than what I would have been able to do. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

32 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

:D ziet er fantastisch uit.

About the ubiquiti stuff, how good does it actually work? I've heard good things about it but i've never seen someone actually use it at home for example.

Dankjewel :D

The Ubiquiti stuff performs extremely well. Wireless performance is excellent, it's all very easy to manage and monitor from the UniFi controller (that's also running on the storage serer).

My current setup has two Ubiquiti UniFi AP AC Lite's in it, together with a three port USG (UniFi Security Gateway). This Christmas I'm hoping to get a nice UniFi PoE switch;) 

As a networking guru I was a little disappointed by the software of the USG, it doesn't quite have the features and monitoring capabilities that I expected it to have (some advanced features require diving into the CLI and fiddling around with Json files). The UniFi integration and the DPI features somewhat make up for that though.