Upgrading my PC for 500 euros.

Underi

So I've been thinking about upgrading my PC for a while, now the time has come since I'm going to order the parts through my school VAT free, the thing is, I am not sure what to put in. I have a decent build already but my CPU isn't good enough for todays games, dropping below 60FPS on high/ultra settings in BF1. So I've been thinking about R5 1600(x?) and 8600k. I compared them and seems like I am getting 30% better CPU for extra one hunder euros. I will only take 8GB of RAM since I can just buy another stick later on. I'm trying to go as budget as possible for everything except my CPU, since that is the thing I am trying to upgrade here. Mobos and RAM are upgraded because my current CPU is LGA1150, so I'll need to upgrade almost everything in my system. Any suggestions? Is my planned build good as it is? Or what?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i5-8600K 3.6GHz 6-Core Processor  ($279.89 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock - Z370M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($121.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Kingston - HyperX Fury Black 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($129.78 @ OutletPC)
Case: BitFenix - Nova ATX Mid Tower Case  ($39.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair - VS 450W ATX Power Supply
Total: $571.64
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-11-06 03:17 EST-0500

My stuff:

Spoiler

CPU :  Intel i5 8400 | GPU : MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4GB

RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 @ 3600MHz

Mouse : Logitech G502 HERO SE | Keyboard : Mountain Everest Max w/ Cherry MX Brown

Headset : Beyerdynamics DT990 Pro 250Ω w/ AT2020USB+

Monitor : Acer XF240H @  144Hz

an lga 1150 i7/xeon can still perform very well, get a better psu as the VS is very low quality. what's your hardware?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

Hi. 

Is the choice of an mATX mobo in a standard ATX case deliberate? 

And whats thw GPU I assume you already own? 

Just now, herman mcpootis said:

an lga 1150 i7/xeon can still perform very well, get a better psu as the VS is very low quality. what's your hardware?

Specs are in my signature and the importer doesn't sell any lga1150 processors anymore.

My stuff:

Spoiler

Mouse : Logitech G502 HERO SE | Keyboard : Mountain Everest Max w/ Cherry MX Brown

Todays games a very graphics heavy and im not sure if i missed it but you dont have a graphics card? 

//Thanks

Avve1000
Setup in Profile!

Just now, Storytellar said:

Hi. 

Is the choice of an mATX mobo in a standard ATX case deliberate? 

And whats thw GPU I assume you already own? 

I own a GTX 970 and yes mATX mobo in ATX case was deliberate, ATX mobos are cost more.

My stuff:

Spoiler

Just now, Avve1000 said:

Todays games a very graphics heavy and im not sure if i missed it but you dont have a graphics card? 

I am upgrading my PC, not making a completely new one. I have a GTX 970 already.

My stuff:

Spoiler

Just now, Underi said:

I own a GTX 970 and yes mATX mobo in ATX case was deliberate, ATX mobos are cost more.

Thought so, just checking. 

All is good then but consider i higher quality PSU as mentioned. 

You might find soonish that you will feel the need to upgrade GPU as well. 

3 minutes ago, Underi said:

I am upgrading my PC, not making a completely new one. I have a GTX 970 already.

Well id get another 8 gb of ram, maybe upgrade to a better cpu, but id rather just save some more cash and buy a new motherboard and cpu at the same time. Maybe getting the 8700k, but for $500? hmm, new ram, new psu and lower your game settings. Wait till you can spare more money for the cpu upgrade. 

//Thanks

Avve1000
Setup in Profile!

Specs are in my signature and the importer doesn't sell any lga1150 processors anymore.

if you can get used parts:

https://www.ebay.de/itm/Intel-Core-i7-4770-4770-3-4-GHz-Quad-Core-Prozessor-mit-boxed-lufter/222699284971?epid=165820821&hash=item33d9e969eb:g:aDsAAOSwI8lZ91n5 192 euros(sell off your i5 for around 100 euros)

then:

https://de.pcpartpicker.com/product/ZBZ2FT/aoc-monitor-g2460pf 229 euros for a better monitor

https://de.pcpartpicker.com/product/4Ms8TW/corsair-vengeance-500w-80-bronze-certified-atx-power-supply-cp-9020107-de to replace the VS

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

1 minute ago, Avve1000 said:

Well id get another 8 gb of ram, maybe upgrade to a better cpu, but id rather just save some more cash and buy a new motherboard and cpu at the same time. Maybe getting the 8700k, but for $500? hmm, new ram, new psu and lower your game settings. Wait till you can spare more money for the cpu upgrade. 

Lowering my game settings is the last thing I am going to do. 8GB will work out as long as I don't have chrome open while playing GTA. 8600K will do it's job just fine for the next 2-3 years, which is running games 60FPS 1080p. Like I said in my post, I am trying to go as budget as possible in EVERYTHING except the CPU. This means cheap RAM, cheap motherboard and a cheap case.

My stuff:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, herman mcpootis said:

Sorry, I am ordering the parts VAT free and this means that they are going to use Finnish importers for the parts. Also why would I want to waste money on a "better" monitor? If I'm not going to run my games 144 FPS I am not going to benefit from a 144Hz monitor. My current one is just fine.

My stuff:

Spoiler

Just now, Underi said:

Lowering my game settings is the last thing I am going to do. 8GB will work out as long as I don't have chrome open while playing GTA. 8600K will do it's job just fine for the next 2-3 years, which is running games 60FPS 1080p. Like I said in my post, I am trying to go as budget as possible in EVERYTHING except the CPU. This means cheap RAM, cheap motherboard and a cheap case.

Well you need to get a new motherboard for 1151 anyways if you want to get a high end cpu. Havent seen 1150 in a while. So what ram do you have? Try getting the exakt same sticks. Why not lower the settings? Thats what pretty much everyone has to do? and should do. Like i have a 1080 but still put lowest settings on Pubg. Then get a 1151 motherboard and a 8700k? Thats what id go for then. 

//Thanks

Avve1000
Setup in Profile!

7 minutes ago, Underi said:

Also why would I want to waste money on a "better" monitor?

Cuz its better? faster refresh rate and higher hz is not a cap on fps? Some games like to cap on the fps but its not the same thing. Simply both looks better and runs better. Theres a big difference between the one you are using now and a 1920x1080 144hz 1ms. Not rly a waste if you are into graphics over gameplay :) 

//Thanks

Avve1000
Setup in Profile!

12 minutes ago, Avve1000 said:

Cuz its better? faster refresh rate and higher hz is not a cap on fps? Some games like to cap on the fps but its not the same thing. Simply both looks better and runs better. Theres a big difference between the one you are using now and a 1920x1080 144hz 1ms. Not rly a waste if you are into graphics over gameplay :) 

I'll surely upgrade my monitor the moment it goes all black and doesn't work anymore. What I meant is that if my system can't run a game 144 FPS, it won't benefit from the higher refresh rate and I have wasted money on something that I don't use. I don't need a 1440p monitor, I don't need 144Hz. I don't need to upgrade my monitor and right now I don't have money to use on a new one. I have 480 euros and I want to upgrade my computer.

My stuff:

Spoiler

19 minutes ago, Avve1000 said:

Well you need to get a new motherboard for 1151 anyways if you want to get a high end cpu. Havent seen 1150 in a while. So what ram do you have? Try getting the exakt same sticks. Why not lower the settings? Thats what pretty much everyone has to do? and should do. Like i have a 1080 but still put lowest settings on Pubg. Then get a 1151 motherboard and a 8700k? Thats what id go for then. 

Did you even read my post? I am going to buy a new cpu, a new mobo, 8GB of DDR4 ram, a 400-500 watt psu and I have all of them on my original post listed with cat sized letters. PUBG is an exception since it is badly optimized and full of bugs. I am sure you don't run something like GTA on the lowest settings just because? Why should I lower my settings when I can upgrade my PC and keep the games on ultra/high? I don't know what you understood wrong but I am fully aware that I have to buy almost a whole new computer. 8700k is out of my reach because it costs too much, that is why I am getting a 8600k AND a 1151 mobo.  AFAIK the AsRock Z370M Pro4 IS an LGA1151 motherboard and supports coffee lake processors. Dude, please read the original post before advising me to buy a "high end cpu and 1151 motherboard". That's exactly what I am doing right now. The difference between 8600 and a 8700 is barely even there and it costs 100 euros more. Not worth my money.

My stuff:

Spoiler

28 minutes ago, Underi said:

Sorry, I am ordering the parts VAT free and this means that they are going to use Finnish importers for the parts. Also why would I want to waste money on a "better" monitor? If I'm not going to run my games 144 FPS I am not going to benefit from a 144Hz monitor. My current one is just fine.

What does it matter whether you pay VAT or not when you can get better stuff for the same amount of money?

I´d try to continue using as many parts as I already have, wouldn´t insist on buying a CPU that requires me to buy everything else new, get a decent PSU and consider the graphics card as most important.  I also don´t understand why you want to buy a new case.

So get a better CPU that fits the board, a decent PSU and do something about the graphics card.  Buy CPU and graphics card used, maybe even the PSU, and you´ll probably get better results for your application than you otherwise could within your budget.

Did you even read my post? I am going to buy a new cpu, a new mobo, 8GB of DDR4 ram, a 400-500 watt psu and I have all of them on my original post listed with cat sized letters. PUBG is an exception since it is badly optimized and full of bugs. I am sure you don't run something like GTA on the lowest settings just because? Why should I lower my settings when I can upgrade my PC and keep the games on ultra/high? I don't know what you understood wrong but I am fully aware that I have to buy almost a whole new computer. 8700k is out of my reach because it costs too much, that is why I am getting a 8600k AND a 1151 mobo.  AFAIK the AsRock Z370M Pro4 IS an LGA1151 motherboard and supports coffee lake processors. Dude, please read the original post before advising me to buy a "high end cpu and 1151 motherboard". That's exactly what I am doing right now. The difference between 8600 and a 8700 is barely even there and it costs 100 euros more. Not worth my money.

If you have it all figured out, then why are you asking for suggestions?

23 minutes ago, Underi said:

Why not i7 8700k? nvm, well get the 7700k? and you have picked a micro atx motherboard? for a miditower? 

//Thanks

Avve1000
Setup in Profile!

3 hours ago, herman mcpootis said:

VS= Very  Shit

2 hours ago, seon123 said:

What is that thing?

He wanted a good cpu, and if he is all about high end cpu then here you go. He had a micro atx board so I had to change that, and since he didnt care what kind of RAM he wanted i took the cheapest one. the upgrade to 500w was more cuz of quality, and its gold certified. 

//Thanks

Avve1000
Setup in Profile!

42 minutes ago, Avve1000 said:

He wanted a good cpu, and if he is all about high end cpu then here you go. He had a micro atx board so I had to change that, and since he didnt care what kind of RAM he wanted i took the cheapest one. the upgrade to 500w was more cuz of quality, and its gold certified. 

There is no reason to get the 7700K instead of an 8400 or Ryzen 7, it has no cooler, you won't overclock the 7700K on such a low end board, RAM speed does affect performance noticeably, and there is a whole lot more to PSUs than the wattage and the efficiency

:)

18 hours ago, seon123 said:

There is no reason to get the 7700K instead of an 8400 or Ryzen 7, it has no cooler, you won't overclock the 7700K on such a low end board, RAM speed does affect performance noticeably, and there is a whole lot more to PSUs than the wattage and the efficiency

Would you rather take Ryzen 7 and high-speed ram instead of 8400 and lower-end ram? I checked out and it'd be 500 euros with the 8400, lower end ram and a decent mobo and PSU, but having high-speed ram with 1700 and OC mobo would be about 600 euros, and lower end ram with 8600k and OC mobo would be 17 euros cheaper than the 1700 combo. What should I pick?

My stuff:

Spoiler