Torn on an Acer Z35P or a VR headset

r34lj4k3

Just want to make sure nobody has heard any negatives about this monitor. It seems to be well liked by everyone on Reddit with one but that's not exactly unbiased reviews.

The things that I like about the monitor:

3440x1440

120hz (overclocked)

35inches

Ultrawide seems cool (this would be my first one)

I  mostly play pubg/dota2/skyrim/wow/fallout4/civ5 and think that these all support it.

Negatives:

No HDR (although I don't think the content is really there for it yet, either)

Not quite 4k

Not quite 144hz

8bit color

For a little perspective, I'm coming from a 24" 1920x1200 samsung so this should be a huge upgrade. My rig is a 7900x with dual 1080tis so I should have the power to push this. I was originally going to wait for the asus pg35vq but the panel manufacturer posted on their site that they won't be ready until q2 2018 and I really don't want to wait 6+ months for that. 

On the other hand, I've been tempted to get an htc vive but there is another headset funded on kickstarter that is proven not to be vaporware that is an 8k vr headset that I could see myself using almost exclusively and not end up needing either of those monitors.

Realistically, I would be getting that headset sometime next year so I can swing both if I want to. Is the Acer worth it? Is there anything else I should be looking at?

120Hz to 144Hz while noticable, isnt nearly as much as even 60 to 75 if you ask me, above 100Hz the improvement, while there, falls of. check out Microsofts Mixed reality headsets, i havent really found much on them but tracking seems decent, they are compatible with SteamVR and they start at $399. The Vive would probably be better but they could prove to be a nice alternative. they have a higher resolution than the Vive and Rift but the build dosent seem to be amazing

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

I tried VR, it is a great experience and it was very tempting to buy it but I got to the conclusion that the content for it is really not worth it to invest that kind of money into VR right now.

Regarding the monitor, 120Hz vs 144Hz is a small difference (1.38ms) and I would definitely rather have that monitor than VR headset.

1 hour ago, r34lj4k3 said:

Just want to make sure nobody has heard any negatives about this monitor. It seems to be well liked by everyone on Reddit with one but that's not exactly unbiased reviews.

The things that I like about the monitor:

3440x1440

120hz (overclocked)

35inches

Ultrawide seems cool (this would be my first one)

I  mostly play pubg/dota2/skyrim/wow/fallout4/civ5 and think that these all support it.

Negatives:

No HDR (although I don't think the content is really there for it yet, either)

Not quite 4k

Not quite 144hz

8bit color

For a little perspective, I'm coming from a 24" 1920x1200 samsung so this should be a huge upgrade. My rig is a 7900x with dual 1080tis so I should have the power to push this. I was originally going to wait for the asus pg35vq but the panel manufacturer posted on their site that they won't be ready until q2 2018 and I really don't want to wait 6+ months for that. 

On the other hand, I've been tempted to get an htc vive but there is another headset funded on kickstarter that is proven not to be vaporware that is an 8k vr headset that I could see myself using almost exclusively and not end up needing either of those monitors.

Realistically, I would be getting that headset sometime next year so I can swing both if I want to. Is the Acer worth it? Is there anything else I should be looking at?

was thinking about the z35p too while acer didnt release the X34P i´ve been waiting for a while now, and then i had the choice between pq34 from asus, x34 or the dell

just got myself this beauty and its 34" IPS 3440x1440 120hz (OC)https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/new-alienware-34-curved-gaming-monitor-aw3418dw/apd/210-amsv/monitors-monitor-accessories

your 1080ti s should be able to push the fps ;) and you still got nvidias proprietary "greed"-sync

everyone wants 4k, its nice true IMO i prefer 3440x1440

Spoiler

CPU i7 4790K 4,7Ghz Cooling:Corsair H100iGTX+Noctua NF-F12PWM GPU: EVGA 1080ti SC+ ACX2.0+ RAM:16GB DDR3 1866mhz Crucial Balistics Tactical Tracer Mobo:ASUS Z97-AR PSU:EVGA 750W G2 Supernova Case:Fractal Meshify C Storage:500GB Samsung 850 evo, 900GB Toshiba Game Storage SSD, 2TB Data HDD

i7 4790k Devils Canyon OC @4,6Ghz,Cooler Corsair h100i GTX, GPU EVGA 980Ti SC+ ACX 2.0+ @ stoc

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/278610-display-technology-faqmythbuster/

1 minute ago, Bl00dgod said:

was thinking about the z35p too while acer didnt release the X34P i´ve been waiting for a while now, and then i had the choice between pq34 from asus, x34 or the dell

just got myself this beauty and its 34" IPS 3440x1440 120hz (OC)https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/new-alienware-34-curved-gaming-monitor-aw3418dw/apd/210-amsv/monitors-monitor-accessories

your 1080ti s should be able to push the fps ;) and you still got nvidias proprietary "greed"-sync

everyone wants 4k, its nice true IMO i prefer 3440x1440

I saw this but I'm not sure that this is worth 60% more money. Is the difference in the VA and IPS panel going to be worth $600?

22 minutes ago, r34lj4k3 said:

I saw this but I'm not sure that this is worth 60% more money. Is the difference in the VA and IPS panel going to be worth $600?

60% more money oO"            holy moly

in germany the z35p is 1100~ish bucks and the dell is 1330 but they got a % bonus and i got it for 1,2grand so only 100 more ( pq34 and x34 were both 1100-1200 ~ish too )

always wanted to get some ultrasharps but my old 22" refuses to die :D so i changed my 34" aoc

Spoiler

CPU i7 4790K 4,7Ghz Cooling:Corsair H100iGTX+Noctua NF-F12PWM GPU: EVGA 1080ti SC+ ACX2.0+ RAM:16GB DDR3 1866mhz Crucial Balistics Tactical Tracer Mobo:ASUS Z97-AR PSU:EVGA 750W G2 Supernova Case:Fractal Meshify C Storage:500GB Samsung 850 evo, 900GB Toshiba Game Storage SSD, 2TB Data HDD

i7 4790k Devils Canyon OC @4,6Ghz,Cooler Corsair h100i GTX, GPU EVGA 980Ti SC+ ACX 2.0+ @ stoc

7 hours ago, Bl00dgod said:

60% more money oO"            holy moly

in germany the z35p is 1100~ish bucks and the dell is 1330 but they got a % bonus and i got it for 1,2grand so only 100 more ( pq34 and x34 were both 1100-1200 ~ish too )

always wanted to get some ultrasharps but my old 22" refuses to die :D so i changed my 34" aoc

For me, it starts at 1493 and I have another $130 in tax to contend with. I live in California, though. What deal did you use?

13 hours ago, r34lj4k3 said:

For me, it starts at 1493 and I have another $130 in tax to contend with. I live in California, though. What deal did you use?

there was a 10-15% off on new systems and laptops, i asked their support if that works on displays too and used it

otherwise if there´s that much price difference you can just go with the 34" IPS displays from Acer´s or Asus

Spoiler