Best calibration settings for AOC AG271QG?

ColdCrystal

I just bought this highly rated monitor. It's a 27", IPS, 165Hz, Gsync, 2560x1440 resolution.

I want to have the best picture quality possible, so has anyone found the settings that are considered the best:

• brigthness
  • contrast
  • red color
  • green color 
  • blue color
  • gamma
  • overdrive

That's subjective, plus the monitors vary from panel to panel, so what looks good on one may not on another. Only way to really get the best results is to adjust your panel specifically. 

1 minute ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

That's subjective, plus the monitors vary from panel to panel, so what looks good on one may not on another. Only way to really get the best results is to adjust your panel specifically. 

Why did you post that, what purpose did it serve? Do you even own this monitor??

15 minutes ago, ColdCrystal said:

Why did you post that, what purpose did it serve?

To tell you that using someone else's settings won't necessarily get the best results. Buying a calibration tool and adjusting your panel is the best option. 

EDIT: Or you can do it by eye and see what looks best to you. Some people prefer a warmer colour, some prefer cooler. Some prefer it to be brighter, some less bright. We can't tell you what is best for you as we are not you. If all you want is colour accuracy, get a colour calibrator and adjust the panel that way. 

EDIT2: It also has nothing to do with owning the monitor. The same thing goes for pretty much all monitors other than professional colour grading monitors that go through individual calibration before leaving the factory. I would suggest that when asking for advice on a public forum, you try and take some rather than getting antsy about it, or people won't want to help you. You said you want the best picture quality, so I told you how you'd get the best picture quality. 

5 minutes ago, ColdCrystal said:

Why did you post that, what purpose did it serve? Do you even own this monitor??

even if u have 2 identical monitors, exact same type numbers the panel differ on what looks the best, it doesnt take a rocket scientist to know that

also everyones eyes are different and what may look good to one person might not look good to the other

its just a personal preference rather then this is best or that is best..

(◑‿◐)

So two things, there is a lot of personal preference in the look of monitors and every panel turns out the different, I have 2 identical 4k panels and to get them to look the same their settings had to be put in wayyy different areas.

It is not personal preference we have standards and you should try to meet them. Panel to panel have manufacturing differences but I believe this series is pre-calibrated. I just make sure either to use srgb profile or standard if it does not have one. Make sure to turn off any unnecessary processing it may have on like dynamic contrast or shadow control. I have a AG271QX and the ideal overdrive on this panel seems to be 40 but I am not sure if it would be the same on your panel. if you are unhappy with this panels stock settings or another monitor in the future I recommend a spyder 5 any model and using Display cal instead of stock software. I got one and have made many color profiles for myself and friends.  

Well, personal preferences are definitely a factor and not every screen is exactly the same but here are my settings if you want to try them out.

Contrast: 50

Brightness: 35

Game Color: 100

Shadow Control: 0

Gamma: Gamma1

Overdrive: Strong

Low Blue Light: 0

Color Temp.: User

Red: 65

Green: 65

Blue: 65

7 minutes ago, WereCat said:

Well, personal preferences are definitely a factor and not every screen is exactly the same but here are my settings if you want to try them out.

Contrast: 50

Brightness: 35

Game Color: 100

Shadow Control: 0

Gamma: Gamma1

Overdrive: Strong

Low Blue Light: 0

Color Temp.: User

Red: 65

Green: 65

Blue: 65

What exactly is the purpose of overdrive, I have it set to medium.

Just now, ColdCrystal said:

What exactly is the purpose of overdrive, I have it set to medium.

Can improve the response time of the monitor (less blurry image when moving around). However, at high values, it can cause issues like visual defects for example so it is not guaranteed to work always on high settings. In my case it does and it is a big improvement over the Medium setting.

• 2 months later...
On 20/10/2017 at 3:04 PM, WereCat said:

Can improve the response time of the monitor (less blurry image when moving around). However, at high values, it can cause issues like visual defects for example so it is not guaranteed to work always on high settings. In my case it does and it is a big improvement over the Medium setting.

Hi,

Does putting overdrive on strong do the overclocking feature on this monitor?

Ive copies your settings but I want to keep it at 144hz so that G Sync is still enabled. 

2 hours ago, PeterD1001 said:

Hi,

Does putting overdrive on strong do the overclocking feature on this monitor?

Ive copies your settings but I want to keep it at 144hz so that G Sync is still enabled. 

I am using 165Hz with G-Sync and Overdrive at Strong all at the same time.

Overclocking from 144Hz to 165Hz is a different setting. You can do all of this at 144Hz if you wish as well. But why keep it at 144Hz if you can crank it up to 165Hz?

On 25/12/2017 at 5:22 PM, WereCat said:

I am using 165Hz with G-Sync and Overdrive at Strong all at the same time.

Overclocking from 144Hz to 165Hz is a different setting. You can do all of this at 144Hz if you wish as well. But why keep it at 144Hz if you can crank it up to 165Hz?

I’m pretty sure I read that G Sync only operates up to 144hz??

im not sure whether that means it switches off completely or whether it stays on up to 144 fps and then isn’t enabled between 145-165 though. 

Anyway I just got one of these the other day. I’ve copied your settings but left it on 144hz. I must I’m loving the monitor. 

Coming straight from a 15.6” laptop to this the difference is amazing. 

13 hours ago, PeterD1001 said:

I’m pretty sure I read that G Sync only operates up to 144hz??

im not sure whether that means it switches off completely or whether it stays on up to 144 fps and then isn’t enabled between 145-165 though. 

Anyway I just got one of these the other day. I’ve copied your settings but left it on 144hz. I must I’m loving the monitor. 

Coming straight from a 15.6” laptop to this the difference is amazing. 

G-Sync works on both 165Hz and 144Hz.

If you will have more FPS than Hz, it will not work.

If you will enable ULMB, you are stuck to 120Hz and no G-Sync as well.

• 2 weeks later...
On 28/12/2017 at 7:00 PM, WereCat said:

G-Sync works on both 165Hz and 144Hz.

If you will have more FPS than Hz, it will not work.

If you will enable ULMB, you are stuck to 120Hz and no G-Sync as well.

Are you trying to say that if FPS is higher in a game than the monitors refresh rate (say getting 300 FPS in  Counter Strike) then somehow G-sync is turned off / rendered useless? That's how I read it and if so I feel obliged to point out that this is plain incorrect before people go trying to cap their FPS. 

As for calibration of the monitor, I've only had it for half a day so I'll test my custom settings for a bit longer before posting them on here. What I will say say for now is that the gamma mode 2 seems to provide improved colour accuracy in expense for contrast (which is immediately noticeable when switching between the modes).

41 minutes ago, cynicle said:

Are you trying to say that if FPS is higher in a game than the monitors refresh rate (say getting 300 FPS in  Counter Strike) then somehow G-sync is turned off / rendered useless? That's how I read it and if so I feel obliged to point out that this is plain incorrect before people go trying to cap their FPS. 

It is not incorrect.

G-Sync will only function up to the max monitor refresh rate.

It adaptively adjust the Hz of the screen to match the FPS to eliminate tearing.

If you get more FPS than the max monitor Hz then how is the monitor supposed to match that? It cannot. You will simply get tearing because at that point G-Sync cant function properly.