Anyone know any tiny psu’s?

Legolessed

I’m building a diy gaming laptop and I’m looking for a tiny psu to power it. I was looking at pico psus but I need at least 334 watts for the system and the only one I found was a 500 watt one but it was $90. I’m looking at like $20-30ish. Another strategy would be 1 psu for the motherboard and 1 for the gpu but idk if that work. Thanks!

Just get one for the GPU and one for the mobo. As Austin Evans proved in Scrapyard Wars Season 3, it works.(actually it kinda didn't but yeah)

The SFX 450W PSU that comes with the Fractal Design Node 202 is pretty small

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

2 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Just get one for the GPU and one for the mobo. As Austin Evans proved in Scrapyard Wars Season 3, it works.(actually it kinda didn't but yeah)

The SFX 450W PSU that comes with the Fractal Design Node 202 is pretty small

Thank you! I heard something about you having to short 2 pins or something like that with duel psu setups. Is that true?

Just now, Legolessed said:

Thank you! I heard something about you having to short 2 pins or something like that with duel psu setups. Is that true?

To my knowledge, Austin didn't. He just kinda plugged everything in.

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Just now, Crunchy Dragon said:

To my knowledge, Austin didn't. He just kinda plugged everything in.

K awesome thank you!

Just now, Legolessed said:

K awesome thank you!

yeah no problem! Good luck!

P.S.

Make sure to post this in Build Logs when you start the project, this sounds very interesting :)

6 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

P.S.

Make sure to post this in Build Logs when you start the project, this sounds very interesting :)

I will :)

19 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

P.S.

What about this? This is perfect but idk if it’s too thick. Do you think mini itx power supplies are he way to go due to the lower costs? 

https://www.outletpc.com/wr4972-replace-power-rp-tfx-420-tfx-12v-420w-psu.html?gclid=CjwKCAjwmqHPBRBQEiwAOvbR89TMCnX1N9AQdUhbeyIkOf31NpQ6EWjs0wii750jBWNTu2OTtMpNTBoC-5IQAvD_BwE

. HDPLEX Makes some pretty nice small PSUs, like the 160W DC-ATX Converter and the 400W DC-ATX Converter. They, on the other hand, require you to have an AC-DC power brick, which in itself isn't hard to hide away but it needs to be able to supply the converter with sufficient wattage.

21 minutes ago, Legolessed said:

I’m building a diy gaming laptop and I’m looking for a tiny psu to power it. I was looking at pico psus but I need at least 334 watts for the system and the only one I found was a 500 watt one but it was $90. I’m looking at like $20-30ish. Another strategy would be 1 psu for the motherboard and 1 for the gpu but idk if that work. Thanks!

It depends on what you consider as tiny.

Seasonic makes 600W 2U PSUs and up to 500W for 1U, like this: https://seasonic.com/product/ss-600-h2u-active-pfc-f0/  They´re 80+ Gold and inexpensive, considering what you get, and a steal when you buy a used one.

If your machine requires at least 344W, I´d recommend at least a 500W PSU because you don´t want to run a PSU at, or close to, full capacity.  I would strongly advise *against* using one or even two $20 bricks which will not be able to supply that much power to begin with and may fry the hardware when they go up in flames, or before that.  I´d go for the 2U 600W.

At the end of the day, it´ll save you much hassle, time and money.

42 minutes ago, Legolessed said:

What about this? This is perfect but idk if it’s too thick. Do you think mini itx power supplies are he way to go due to the lower costs? 

https://www.outletpc.com/wr4972-replace-power-rp-tfx-420-tfx-12v-420w-psu.html?gclid=CjwKCAjwmqHPBRBQEiwAOvbR89TMCnX1N9AQdUhbeyIkOf31NpQ6EWjs0wii750jBWNTu2OTtMpNTBoC-5IQAvD_BwE

That might be loud?

I happen to have two Ablecom SP262-1S here (because I bought some used servers recently); they are 1U, 260W PSUs.  They each have one fan which is about as loud as the three 40mm fans in the case which run at about 8.5k rpm.

That´s why I looked into PSUs and ended up buying a Seasonic (ATX size, though, hasn´t arrived yet), for their reputation of good quality, high efficiency, longevity and quietness.  I don´t know from own experience how quiet or loud the SS-600 H2U is, but as far as I can tell, chances are you won´t really hear its fan at 350W.

I did see a PSU go up in smoke once.  It was plugged with dust it had gathered over time.  Fortunately, the user pulled the plug right away when it started.  Otherwise, the building might have burned down.

Still wanna buy a $20 PSU that can reliably deliver 350W? :)

9 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

Just saying, but with the appropriate power brick and some airflow, the HDPLEX 160W can push 300W with ease. What system are you going to try run @Legolessed?

$58 is very steep though. im running a q9400 cpu 8gb of ram and a radeon hd 5870. yea i know its a very odd set of parts but if you know me its not that surprising.

9 minutes ago, Legolessed said:

$58 is very steep though. im running a q9400 cpu 8gb of ram and a radeon hd 5870. yea i know its a very odd set of parts but if you know me its not that surprising.

That'll use less than 300W easily
Also, you're not going to find anything of quality, that small, under that price.

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

4 hours ago, Legolessed said:

That MIGHT work, depending on how thick you want the laptop to be. If you're going MSI Titan levels of thickness, that'll be perfect

23 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

That MIGHT work, depending on how thick you want the laptop to be. If you're going MSI Titan levels of thickness, that'll be perfect

well this is prototype 1. when i made a diy smartwatch it took me 5 prototypes to get it into a reasonable form factor and even then i still have the battery mounted on the wrist strap. but it does get like a week of battery life so..... i know this is going to be a thick laptop. so i may yolo it. i mean that 5870 isnt a thin card and my motherboard is a micro atx board, not super thin. im using it more as a portable workstation rather than a real laptop. prototype 1 wont even have a battery in it most likely. thank you so much btw! 

One of my friends has the msi titan. the sli msi titan. That thing is a beast, holy crap. It games like a beast and it sounds like a beast (like a 747 overhead)

There are custom power supplies that only output 12v or 24v which can output some amount of current and they're cheap.

For example:

26$ for 150w 12v power supply : https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/delta-electronics/PMT-12V150W1AA/1145-1071-ND/4386542

(note this relies on air flowing around it to stay cool, can't just shove it inside a case without ventilation)

or

42$ for super small 150w 12v power supply : https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/delta-electronics/PJ-12V150WBNA/1145-1046-ND/4386517

PJ-12V150WBNA.jpg.054c17f89f696b2706904cd359de0c8e.jpg

For higher wattages, they're more expensive. You can get 300w in the 50$ price point and as small height but at higher voltages like 19v and 24v .. that's one of the reasons why most laptops have standardized on ~ 19v DC Input. Higher currents mean more losses in wires, more heat, more wires required...

It's stupid to think of 350 watts in a laptop style thing. You wouldn't even be able to cool it in the first place. Figure out first how much your system is gonna use and then search for a power supply.

Or better yet, think hard whether or not it would be cheaper to sell the hardware you have and put some money for a lower power hardware and pay less for a power supply.

For example, sell the 5870 that eats 150 watts and replace it with a RX 560 which eats 80w or a gtx 1050 that eats 75w or just go for a 35w GT 1030 or a 45w RX 550

Your 95w TDP q9400 (And maybe 80-100w power consumption) has about the same performance as a 40$ Intel G3930 with 51w tdp and probably averaging <40w power consumption   ... or a 60$ A6-9500 (socket AM4, with integrated graphics in 65w TDP) will also have about the same performance , pair it with a a320 board that's around 50$ and you'll power everything using less than 150$

11 hours ago, mariushm said:

There are custom power supplies that only output 12v or 24v which can output some amount of current and they're cheap.

For example:

26$ for 150w 12v power supply : https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/delta-electronics/PMT-12V150W1AA/1145-1071-ND/4386542

(note this relies on air flowing around it to stay cool, can't just shove it inside a case without ventilation)

or

42$ for super small 150w 12v power supply : https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/delta-electronics/PJ-12V150WBNA/1145-1046-ND/4386517

PJ-12V150WBNA.jpg.054c17f89f696b2706904cd359de0c8e.jpg

For higher wattages, they're more expensive. You can get 300w in the 50$ price point and as small height but at higher voltages like 19v and 24v .. that's one of the reasons why most laptops have standardized on ~ 19v DC Input. Higher currents mean more losses in wires, more heat, more wires required...

It's stupid to think of 350 watts in a laptop style thing. You wouldn't even be able to cool it in the first place. Figure out first how much your system is gonna use and then search for a power supply.

Or better yet, think hard whether or not it would be cheaper to sell the hardware you have and put some money for a lower power hardware and pay less for a power supply.

For example, sell the 5870 that eats 150 watts and replace it with a RX 560 which eats 80w or a gtx 1050 that eats 75w or just go for a 35w GT 1030 or a 45w RX 550

Your 95w TDP q9400 (And maybe 80-100w power consumption) has about the same performance as a 40$ Intel G3930 with 51w tdp and probably averaging <40w power consumption   ... or a 60$ A6-9500 (socket AM4, with integrated graphics in 65w TDP) will also have about the same performance , pair it with a a320 board that's around 50$ and you'll power everything using less than 150$

im not selling the hardware, it would in no way come close to the cost of new hardware. I got all those components together for like $40. i might just get the outlet pc power supply for prototype 1.

2 hours ago, Legolessed said:

im not selling the hardware, it would in no way come close to the cost of new hardware. I got all those components together for like $40. i might just get the outlet pc power supply for prototype 1.

Sometimes someone has to come along and say "stop the madness".

You're trying to push a square into a circle , using power hungry desktop components for what they weren't intended.

Instead of continuing the madness by trying to buy some expensive power supply to feed your laptop with up to 350w, work from the other end, try to recuperate some of the money you lost by selling these parts on eBay or some local shops. Then buy something that's more suitable to use as a laptop, like a motherboard with cpu soldered to it, or some motherboard with socket but which accepts processors with integrated graphics.

For example, Intel q9400 sells for 16$ with free shipping.  Put it on eBay on sale for 13$ and you'll sell it within a week or so... after 1$ in shipping costs and 1$ in eBay fees, you'll still have 11$.

Put the 5870 for maybe 25-30$ on eBay and it will sell - with the current gaming cards being so expensive due to mining, lots of people would be willing to buy something like 5870 that will still play games like CS:Go or other moba games, while saving money for a better card.

So after ebay fees and shipping, you'd still be left with around 20-25$  and with 10$ from cpu, you've only lost around 10$ with your mistake.  Probably have some memory as well ... put that on eBay as well.

You say you want to make a gaming laptop.. what games are you trying to play ... depending on the video card you get and the games you play, a low power processor like that 40$ dual core Intel cpu g3930 would be powerful enough - some games will be happy with just 2 cores and high frequency on those cores, and with the integrated graphics disabled, the cpu will really use little power.

Figure out first what specs your laptop will be and that will tell you what the whole system will use and get something accordingly.,

And really, really consider buying one of those motherboards that can be powered completely from a DC IN connector , this way you won't have to buy expensive pico psu or regular atx power supply, you'll only have two wires (+19v and ground) and a power on switch to mess with.

If you'll ever want a custom graphics card, you'd just have to buy a dc-dc converter that would take 19v in and output 12v to the pci-e 6pin connector or the pci-e x16 slot (you can use a pci-e x16 riser cable that allows you to power a video card separately)

Asrock had a bunch of these boards that could run from DC In jack and optional 24 pin atx connector, for example socket AM1  Asrock AM1H-ITX  https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/AM1H-ITX/index.us.asp or socket 1151 Asrock H110TM-ITX  https://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/H110TM-ITX/index.us.asp

1 minute ago, mariushm said:

Sometimes someone has to come along and say "stop the madness".

You're trying to push a square into a circle , using power hungry desktop components for what they weren't intended.

Instead of continuing the madness by trying to buy some expensive power supply to feed your laptop with up to 350w, work from the other end, try to recuperate some of the money you lost by selling these parts on eBay or some local shops. Then buy something that's more suitable to use as a laptop, like a motherboard with cpu soldered to it, or some motherboard with socket but which accepts processors with integrated graphics.

For example, Intel q9400 sells for 16$ with free shipping.  Put it on eBay on sale for 13$ and you'll sell it within a week or so... after 1$ in shipping costs and 1$ in eBay fees, you'll still have 11$.

Put the 5870 for maybe 25-30$ on eBay and it will sell - with the current gaming cards being so expensive due to mining, lots of people would be willing to buy something like 5870 that will still play games like CS:Go or other moba games, while saving money for a better card.

So after ebay fees and shipping, you'd still be left with around 20-25$  and with 10$ from cpu, you've only lost around 10$ with your mistake.  Probably have some memory as well ... put that on eBay as well.

You say you want to make a gaming laptop.. what games are you trying to play ... depending on the video card you get and the games you play, a low power processor like that 40$ dual core Intel cpu g3930 would be powerful enough - some games will be happy with just 2 cores and high frequency on those cores, and with the integrated graphics disabled, the cpu will really use little power.

Figure out first what specs your laptop will be and that will tell you what the whole system will use and get something accordingly.,

And really, really consider buying one of those motherboards that can be powered completely from a DC IN connector , this way you won't have to buy expensive pico psu or regular atx power supply, you'll only have two wires (+19v and ground) and a power on switch to mess with.

If you'll ever want a custom graphics card, you'd just have to buy a dc-dc converter that would take 19v in and output 12v to the pci-e 6pin connector or the pci-e x16 slot (you can use a pci-e x16 riser cable that allows you to power a video card separately)

Asrock had a bunch of these boards that could run from DC In jack and optional 24 pin atx connector, for example socket AM1  Asrock AM1H-ITX  https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/AM1H-ITX/index.us.asp or socket 1151 Asrock H110TM-ITX  https://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/H110TM-ITX/index.us.asp

i know its not practical. and i found some tfx psu's on ebay for really cheap. I know this is a very power hungery setup and I went into this knowing that. This isnt practical by any means, im doing it for fun. for the same amount of money i could have bought a laptop that would be way thinner and less power hungery and whatever than this but i decided not too. Thank you for the help and im not mad or anything but im going to do this.

On 10/19/2017 at 4:54 PM, Legolessed said:

K awesome thank you!

You need an ATX bridging plug for the PSU that is not plugged into the mobo

Watercooling Pro & Keyboard Enthusiast!