Cryptographic Flaw Within Infineon TPM Chips Announced

jagdtigger

Some of the biggest tech giants in the industry are warning customers of a very serious vulnerability affecting TPM chips produced by Infineon Technologies. The vulnerability itself is created by a flaw in the Trusted Platform Module (TPM), which is designed to protect cryptographic devices within integrated hardware.

Once an attacker gains access to the Public RSA key of a device with an affected Infineon TPM module, they will be able to compute the private key through factorization. Due to the amount of resources required to compute these keys, it is unlikely that the individual user has much to worry about. Current factorization estimates show 2 hours of CPU time for a 512 bit key, and the 2048 bit RSA key taking 140.8 years of CPU time.

Source:

https://www.hardocp.com/news/2017/10/16/cryptographic_flaw_within_infineon_tpm_chips_announced

Affected vendors ATM: Asus, Acer, Lenovo, HP, Toshiba, Samsung, LG, Chromebook.

This attack takes a lot of resource, but its just yet another example why these "black boxes" should not exist... Who knows how many weakness is still hidden in their firmware, and how many was found only by black-hats and/or acronym agencies.

2 hours ago, Ryujin2003 said:

No Dell?

Didn't see it in the source doc, but how old are this TPM chips?

Running "powershell.exe get-tpm" in powershell seems to show that my Dell Inspiron 5577 has an Intel TPM.

Damn.. we use TPM on our laptops at work (Dell Latitudes).

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

1 hour ago, Abdul201588 said:

Damn.. we use TPM on our laptops at work (Dell Latitudes).

How old are they and are you sure they are using TPMs from Infineon?

1 hour ago, tjcater said:

Too be honest. I haven't checked. xD lol. I need to ask my manager at some point..

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

I've always wondered how they compute CPU time for these kinds of things. CPU's have an insane range of ipc and clock speeds as well as thread count.

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

2 hours ago, Swatson said:

I've always wondered how they compute CPU time for these kinds of things. CPU's have an insane range of ipc and clock speeds as well as thread count.

Probably an average server with 12 cores or similar from the Haswell generation or later. I would doubt they would use anything with fewer than 6 cores due to the massive gains they would be able to achieve with more cores.

RSA-768 took 2 years with a CPU time of 2000 years on a single core 2.2 GHz opteron.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RSA_numbers#RSA-768

RSA-2048 let alone 3072 or 4096 would take much longer.

Considering how available and cheap it is to rent high powered could and gpu based servers. Not to mention the botnets available for rent on the black market, i thinking that if someone was actually determined to crack one of these affected tpm chips it wouldn't take s long as many think. Remember these "CPU times" are usually based on only a few mqchines.

This is an actually huge security flaw and I hope there's a way to fix it. Unless it's hardcoded into the chip shouldn't there be a way to flash an update to it? (Not exactly sure how to chips work anymore)

Use this guide to fix text problems in your postGo here and here for all your power supply needs

New Build Currently Under Construction! See here!!!! -----> 

Spoiler

Deathwatch:[CPU I7 4790K @ 4.5GHz][RAM TEAM VULCAN 16 GB 1600][MB ASRock Z97 Anniversary][GPU XFX Radeon RX 480 8GB][STORAGE 250GB SAMSUNG EVO SSD Samsung 2TB HDD 2TB WD External Drive][COOLER Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo][PSU Cooler Master 650M][Case Thermaltake Core V31]

Spoiler

Cupid:[CPU Core 2 Duo E8600 3.33GHz][RAM 3 GB DDR2][750GB Samsung 2.5" HDD/HDD Seagate 80GB SATA/Samsung 80GB IDE/WD 325GB IDE][MB Acer M1641][CASE Antec][[PSU Altec 425 Watt][GPU Radeon HD 4890 1GB][TP-Link 54MBps Wireless Card]

Spoiler

Carlile: [CPU 2x Pentium 3 1.4GHz][MB ASUS TR-DLS][RAM 2x 512MB DDR ECC Registered][GPU Nvidia TNT2 Pro][PSU Enermax][HDD 1 IDE 160GB, 4 SCSI 70GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 3]

Spoiler

Zeonnight [CPU AMD Athlon x2 4400][GPU Sapphire Radeon 4650 1GB][RAM 2GB DDR2]

Spoiler

Server [CPU 2x Xeon L5630][PSU Dell Poweredge 850w][HDD 1 SATA 160GB, 3 SAS 146GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 6i]

Spoiler

Kero [CPU Pentium 1 133Mhz] [GPU Cirrus Logic LCD 1MB Graphics Controller] [Ram 48MB ][HDD 1.4GB Hitachi IDE]

Spoiler

Mining Rig: [CPU Athlon 64 X2 4400+][GPUS 9 RX 560s, 2 RX 570][HDD 160GB something][RAM 8GBs DDR3][PSUs 1 Thermaltake 700w, 2 Delta 900w 120v Server modded]

RAINBOWS!!!

QUOTE ME SO I CAN SEE YOUR REPLYS!!!!

4 hours ago, tjcater said:

Well... As for age.... The post cites Samsung devices... When was the last time Samsung made a PC? Almost as long as Sony?

Steve Gibson went in-depth on this in Tuesday's episode of Security Now.  Kinda surprised that it only popped up here today.

15:15 to 36:15

He also mentioned that they only found out because they generated a load of keys and studied the output.  This is once again proof that anything related to security really needs to be open-source.

38 minutes ago, ScratchCat said:

Probably an average server with 12 cores or similar from the Haswell generation or later. I would doubt they would use anything with fewer than 6 cores due to the massive gains they would be able to achieve with more cores.

modern single core, no hyperthreading either.  Also keep in mind that this is worst-case scenario.  It needs that amount of CPU time to run ALL possible combinations.  On average the key will be found in about half the time.  So 100 CPU years to crack a 2048bit key with a modern 8-core with hyperthreading = little over 6 years to run all possible combinations.  That means 100 CPU years will be on average 3 years for a modern high-end gaming PC's CPU.  So with some serious processing power it really won't take too long.  If you have access to a supercomputer or a botnet, 100 CPU years is probably a matter of hours. 

1 hour ago, ScratchCat said:

RSA-768 took 2 years with a CPU time of 2000 years on a single core 2.2 GHz opteron.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RSA_numbers#RSA-768

RSA-2048 let alone 3072 or 4096 would take much longer.

See that doesn't help. Why are they measuring CPU time in thousands of years with a single core opteron. CPU time of 2 years with the proper cpus used is much more helpful.

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount