Anyone have or getting ELEX?

Delicieuxz

I think it's already out on consoles, but releases in 4 hours for PC.

I haven't followed the game's development intensely, but I love Gothic 1 and 2, and have been rooting for PB to make another amazing game ever since playing those.

This review I just watched has me pretty interested in the game, now. It sounds like typical PB technical issues are present, but that there's amazing environment design (as is expected from PB), and really good quest design.

The premise of the story, and the factions sound awesome, I think. Too bad it's also said that the English voice acting isn't impressive. That's another thing that's expected from PB games, sadly. I wonder if PB, who are a German developer, even realize how mediocre - bad the English voice acting in many of their games is. If they did, I think they might put more effort into finding a better localization company.

I've looked at some other reviews, too, and while some are pretty rough on the game, I don't really expect anything different for a PB game at this point. People who understand PB's style, and what they focus on in their games (the good ones) tend to love what they can experience in them, while people who judge a game more on whether it has AAA visual and technical presentation don't get into them as much, and don't seem to appreciate the other unique qualities that PB is known for.

That said, because of the reviews mentioning technical issues, I might wait for a patch or two to release before I play this. I have Assassin's Creed Origins preordered, so I'll be playing that in the meantime.

Divinity: Original Sin 2, Assassin's Creed Origins, ELEX... this is pretty much a dream release season, for me.

Here's an excellent history of PB combat systems, and an analysis of ELEX' combat, according to now months-old pre-release footage. The ELEX-specific stuff starts at 3:59.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

I've been playing for about two hours now. While the graphics aren't impressive and controls are a little janky, the game world really sucks you in and the characters are interesting. If you played the Gothic and Risen games you know what too expect  in terms of gameplay.

Cool. From what I've read and heard, with all the comparisons to the early Gothic games, it sounds like I'll really like it.

The negative reviews focus on things like technical presentation, and the combat. But the technical presentation has all that I need, and I understand PB combat, so I discount those criticisms. Most of the other feedback is pretty glowing.

Comparing the game to AAA titles and saying how the graphics and animations aren't good is a pretty irrelevant criticism for this game, IMO, since AAA games don't have any of the much better stuff that Gothic 1 and 2 have, which make them the greatest PC RPGs ever made. And it sounds like there is a lot of that same stuff in ELEX.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

8 hours ago, Delicieuxz said:

Cool. From what I've read and heard, with all the comparisons to the early Gothic games, it sounds like I'll really like it.

The negative reviews focus on things like technical presentation, and the combat. But the technical presentation has all that I need, and I understand PB combat, so I discount those criticisms. Most of the other feedback is pretty glowing.

Comparing the game to AAA titles and saying how the graphics and animations aren't good is a pretty irrelevant criticism for this game, IMO, since AAA games don't have any of the much better stuff that Gothic 1 and 2 have, which make them the greatest PC RPGs ever made. And it sounds like there is a lot of that same stuff in ELEX.

If you're a fan of Gothic 1&2 and want more of the same but with a more modern feel to it you'll like it for sure. It shares a lot of the game concepts, like choosing a faction and working your way thru the ranks, learning skills. You have a lot of freedom of choice and are basically free to go anywhere but your very weak in the beginning and have to avoid fights (just like in Gothic.)

What's new is the jetpack, it's pretty awesome if you ask me.

Another note about the graphics: I don't think they're downright bad, but the texture resolution is just too low even on the highest settings. Especially for vegetation and armor. Nothig a texture pack couldn't fix and I'm sure we'll see one eventually.

All in all, it's basically a no-brainer if you likr PB's other games.

Yeah, to me, ELEX' graphics overall look better than Fallout 4's, and look a whole lot better than Skyrim Special Edition's (which is still pretty high in the Steam top sellers list), so, I don't particularly get that criticism.

ELEX screenshot

Fallout 4 screenshot

Skyrim Special Edition screenshot

Reshade can be used to tweak the graphics:

@Delicieuxz Forget what I said about the textures. They're not bad at all actually. It just seems that if you change the texture quality in the settings, it only goes into effect after a restart and when I started playing, didn't realize that. Playing some more right now and the textures look fine now!