144Hz question

Draydince

I recently went from a 24inch 60hz to a 24inch 144hz and to be honest, while playing games I hardly noticed much a difference. (Yes, I was able to achieve the full 144fps)

I was starting to feel like I had wasted my money, but I wanted to do some more testing before returning it.

I don't have room on my desk to fit 2 monitors and didn't feel like taking this one down, putting my old up, and repeating for testing - so instead I set my 144hz monitor to manually run at 60hz in control panel.

When using it in 60hz mode everything seems extremely clunky. Like it almost feels like I'm lagging with sort of jitters. I don't recall it ever feeling this clunky with my old 60hz monitor. I know people will say once you get used to 144hz you can never go back to 60hz, but I literally only had this monitor a couple days I don't really feel like I've had it long enough for 60hz to feel like potato.

My question is, could this clunky feeling be due to the fact that my monitor itself is 144hz and using it at its non-native refresh rate is causing the clunky feeling? 

The first day I ever used this monitor I honestly felt virtually no difference coming from my old one, I certainly didn't feel like 144hz was smooth and 60hz was clunky.

I know the best way to test this for myself would be to hook my old monitor up, but... I'm extremely lazy.

144Hz is most obvious with fast paced games like FPS. I've played some slow paced games at that refresh rate and tbh I forget about the 144Hz. Training also plays are role there too. Go back to a proper 60Hz monitor after a month or two and you'll instantly miss your 144Hz

I had the same thing. It’s true that it sucks to go back after you make the move

That's an F in the profile pic

22 minutes ago, Draydince said:

The first day I ever used this monitor I honestly felt virtually no difference coming from my old one, I certainly didn't feel like 144hz was smooth and 60hz was clunky.

Visually there is no difference other than finally being able to see the bass turd that shot you. Other than that it's all the same.

What are you doing with it/what games? You should be able to see a difference even just moving the mouse around on your desktop.

Just now, Cookybiscuit said:

What are you doing with it/what games? You should be able to see a difference even just moving the mouse around on your desktop.

That's the thing. When I came from my old 60hz, I never had that "wow this is smooth compared to what I had feeling" but when I set my 144hz to run in 60hz mode it feels clunky all the sudden. A feeling I don't recall at all having before on my 60hz. Even in just general desktop use the forced 60hz mode almost feels like I'm running like on a pentium or something underpowered, it seems very jittery.

For gaming I feel like I maybe notice a little less screen tearing, but honestly I'm trying hard to find a difference so I may be creating a placebo. I've tested it in Overwatch, Star Wars Battlefront, league of legends, Diablo 3. I know not all of those are super fast intense games, but my notice was mostly in desktop use.

I had the same. It is hard to notice how much better 144hz is, but it is easy to see how much worse 60hz is... if you go back to your old monitor, the level of clunkyness will be same as with the new monitor on 60hz. If you return it, you will have to get used to the 60hz again

5900X

MSI MEG X570 Unify

32GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance

RTX 3080

Dark Base Pro 900

Corsair RM1000i

2 minutes ago, Alesek said:

I had the same. It is hard to notice how much better 144hz is, but it is easy to see how much worse 60hz is... if you go back to your old monitor, the level of clunkyness will be same as with the new monitor on 60hz. If you return it, you will have to get used to the 60hz again

The cheapskate in me doesn't want you to be right, but if running my monitor at 60hz is a true genuine 60hz experience and not just an issue of 144hz running at a forced lower res then I'll definitely keep it. 

connect your old monitor and see for yourself :-) 

5900X

MSI MEG X570 Unify

32GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance

RTX 3080

Dark Base Pro 900

Corsair RM1000i

Haha yeah, that would be the logical thing to do - but I'm very lazy. It's just odd, I never felt that my old monitor was even remotely clunky but now when I set this one into 60hz mode I feel like someone snuck into my computer and replaced my processor with a pentium 3 lol

Honestly for me personally i see the difference even between 60-75, I run at 100hz but I used to run at 144hz and i do miss the extra 44hz, I don't have the data to explain this but i really think it depends on your eyes, I have friends who can't see it and just feel like things look "clearer" on my pc compared to the shitty throw up experience of a potato console. Some of my friends think 4k 30hz on games is a great experience. I personally hate going back to 60 and refuse 30 and im not even being a master race guy. 

Chicken Nuggets

CPU - i7-4790k | CPU Cooler - Custom Loop | Motherboard -  MSI Z97 Gaming 5 | RAM - Mushkin Redline (2x4GB) 2400Mhz   Graphics Card - GTX Titan X(Maxwell)  | Power Supply - Super Flower 80+ Gold 650w Storage - Samsung 840 Evo 256gb + 750 Seagate Hybrid + 1TB WD Green + Raid 0 4X500GB + Raid 1 500GB HDD Case - HAF-X | Colour Theme - Orange & Black | Monitor - ACER Predator x34 Overclock to 100hz

2 minutes ago, Hayabusa1989 said:

Honestly for me personally i see the difference even between 60-75, I run at 100hz but I used to run at 144hz and i do miss the extra 44hz, I don't have the data to explain this but i really think it depends on your eyes, I have friends who can't see it and just feel like things look "clearer" on my pc compared to the shitty throw up experience of a potato console. Some of my friends think 4k 30hz on games is a great experience. I personally hate going back to 60 and refuse 30 and im not even being a master race guy. 

My guess is most likely since I was so used to 60hz that I didn't notice a difference when going to 144hz at first, but now going back to 60hz I definitely feel a difference. I also did a few tests and I do notice some less screen tearing. I think my eyes might even have a little room left to see higher hz lol I still see a little at 144, but definitely less than 60. I just wish high refresh rate IPS were more affordable. I do miss the picture quality. I've calibrated it as best as I can, and it's not bad, but it's definitely not great. Though I got it looking pretty good for being a TN.

A while back i went from 75Hz/FPS 1440p to 144Hz/FPS 1440p in Insurgency (fast paced true FPS) and wow the difference was real.

I couldn't go back, but I play alot of fast FPS titles and am certainly sensitive to this. Also whilst i'm not very good, I do care about my performance and try to improve all the time.

CPU Intel i7 8700K @5Ghz Motherboard ROG Maximus Hero 10 RAM Corsair Vengeance 32GB 3600MHz 

GPU MSI Gaming X 1080ti Case Thermaltake Core P3  Storage SSD Boot plus Samsung 960 Evo M.2 nvme storage 

PSU Corsair RM750W Gold Display Asus ROG Strix XG32VQ 144Hz 1440p Cooling Corsair H100i V2 

Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK FX Mouse Roccat Kone Aimo Audio MK3 Fostex T50RP + Schiit Magni 3 AMP and Modi 2 DAC 
Operating System Win 10

VR HTC Vive, Audio Strap Motion Platform DOF Reality 2 DOF

I know this thread's been dead for a while, but I just wanted to give an update.

I'm meeting up with my friend tomorrow to give him my old monitor. I hooked it up to give it a cleaning before giving it to him.

Holy shit.

I don't even know how I did that before. Without exaggeration, I started to feel nauseous and everything felt like it was lagging.

I legitimately didn't notice a single difference the first time I went from 60 to 144, but going 144 to 60 is seeeeriously noticeable.

Even just everyday things like desktop browsing felt worse. It felt like my mouse was lagging behind my movements in a way that made me question if it was even working properly.

They should just make 60hz monitors illegal from hereon out.