D7000 VS D5300 for the same price.

Hey!

I was looking for a new camera. I have a Sony SLT-A37 and want to make an an upgrade. Options are a used D7000 or a new D5300 for the same price. Comparison?

Aditya K. Arun / redscape photo and video.

Photography, Tech enthusiast.

500px.com/redscape_

Instagram: redscape_

6 hours ago, Red____14 said:

Hey!

I was looking for a new camera. I have a Sony SLT-A37 and want to make an an upgrade. Options are a used D7000 or a new D5300 for the same price. Comparison?

The only technical advantages I would see (or really care about) in the D7000 are: first, dual memory card slots. Second, the in-body AF motor making it better compatible with older lenses.  The D5300 might have better advantage for video work, if you want to use it for that.

Aside from that, the performance of both cameras really depends on you, for still images.  When it comes to still images, I'm a Nikonian all the way.

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins

Internal focusing motor is a biggy IMO.

Lens prices on non-AFS and AFS are like night and day. 

Get the one with an internal focusing motor.

CPU R7 1700    Motherboard Asus Prime X370 Pro  RAM  24GB Corsair LPX 3000 (at 2933Mhz)    GPU EVGA GTX1070 SC  Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M    

Storage 1 x 1TB m.2, 1x 500GB SSD, 1x 1TB HDD, 1x 8TB HDD  PSU Corsair RM1000  Cooling Thermalright Macho Rev B (tower)

Synology NAS 1 x 4TB 1 x 8TB

The D7000 is a great camera. I used one for around 3-4 years as my main photo/video camera for various events and projects. Like Akira mentioned, the dual memory card slots are great as well as the auto-focus motor. I do want to highlight that the D7000's low light performance is less the stellar. It is a 7 year old camera now, so it's sensor is not going to be as robust as the D5300. 

That being said the D5300 was released in 2013, has a 24 MP sensor compared to the D7000's 16MP.  Both sensors are the same size so there is going to be a general quality improvement with the new tech inside the 5300. The D5300 also has a lot better video options if you end up doing anything like that. Considering that you have Sony gear right now, I do not see much of a reason to get a camera like the D7000 that supports older lens focussing motors if you don't have any older Nikon lenses in the first place.

Another thing I want to mention is that after a while of use, the D7000's focus motor begins to slowly deteriorate and become inaccurate, you will either have to do internal focus adjustments(which are in the menus so this is possible), or send it into Nikon for a recalibration or repair(this happened to my sister who had the same camera body). Considering how a new camera won't have this issue and the age of the D7000 now, I would recommend getting the D5300 simply because it has newer, better tech, and the features the D7000 has would not be incredibly useful to a newcomer on Nikon cameras.

Get the d7000 if you actually need the professional features, even though the in body AF motor could come quite handy none the less. 

If not, go for the d5300, because its smaller, lighter, easier to use, had more features etc. 

Personally, id probably go for the d7000, but I personally like having and use the features you mentioned. If you don't the d5300 is the better choice. Not because of the 8mp extra, but because it is an easier to use camera for a beginner and has features you will actually care about and use, even if you outgrow it much faster. 

6700k|Hyper 212 EVO|Asus Z170 Deluxe|GTX970 STRIX|16gb 2400mhz Teamgroup memory|Samsung 950 PRO+ 2TB Seagate HDD| CM Realpower M1000|H440

"The tragedy of the poor is the poverty of their aspirations" Adam Smith

Take a look at my flickr?:  https://www.flickr.com/photos/150012948@N06/

Yeah, I guess I'll be going for the D5300. Apart from photography, I also do a lot of video work, like short films and other small videos. Currently i record in 4K using my Galaxy S7 for normal shots, but use the Sony for more complicated shots.

And since the D7000 is used, it's AF motor might have worn down a bit. 

Aditya K. Arun / redscape photo and video.

Photography, Tech enthusiast.

500px.com/redscape_

Instagram: redscape_

14 minutes ago, Red____14 said:

Yeah, I guess I'll be going for the D5300. Apart from photography, I also do a lot of video work, like short films and other small videos. Currently i record in 4K using my Galaxy S7 for normal shots, but use the Sony for more complicated shots.

And since the D7000 is used, it's AF motor might have worn down a bit. 

1. The D7000 has a worse implementation of video than the D5300, so it's already decided for you if you need the camera for video work.

2. The AF-motor wear and tear takes ages to occur.  The D7000 came out in 2010 and depending on the shutter count, you can probably make a reasonable estimate of how often the in-body AF motor was used.  Likely the person(s) who owned/used the camera previously used lenses with the AF motor inside the lens in which case the in-body AF motor was not used at all.

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins