My mom wants an explanation on why I need a mechanical keyboard?

Akolyte

Sorry about what i said. ive been sick and have been bitchy today.

to avoid your warden's credit card, go buy one of the Visa gift cards at a gas station and use that.

Thanks!

Personally I go in a "official" nerd class with heavy focus on science so not much bullying for being a nerd there ;)

But I see your problem though :(

Yeah, Its hard trying to be friends with someone who you know is just doing it to drain the stuff out of you. I'm trying to find a group that actually is as smart as I am. One of my actual friends told me I was smarter than his college IT teacher ^_^

Yeah, Its hard trying to be friends with someone who you know is just doing it to drain the stuff out of you.  I'm trying to find a group that actually is as smart as I am.  One of my actual friends told me I was smarter than his college IT teacher ^_^

Not to insult you at all, but a dog is smarter then most of College IT teachers ;) Ours are at least atrocious :( Ask them what a proxy is and they tell you it is what connects your phone to your other devices :mellow:

Good plan though! Hope you find someone that won't exploit you and which you can actually talk with in a "geeky" fashion ;)

How many of your other friends do you think would be able to tell you the difference between a TN, VA and IPS panel?  ^_^

Tor
Corsair Obsidian 650D - Intel 4770K CPU - Gigabyte G1 Sniper 5 - ASUS GTX 780 Direct CU 2 - Kingston Beast Hyperx Beast 16 GB RAM -  Corsair AX 1200i PSU - Samsung EVO drive 750 GB - Corsair AF series 120mm fans - Corsair H100i - Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 edition - Razer Ouroboros - Razer Manticor - Windows 7 - Beyerdynamic MMX 300

It's likely what she learned on and you really want to share the experience.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

I don't know about you but one way I think i could convince my parents would be saying that they are good for typing and put less stress on the wrists. I have had a wrist sprain and my mom thinks its carpal tunnel so i guess that would work for me.

Delltopia

Case & Mobo: Stock Dell Optiplex 7010, CPU: i5 3470, RAM: 16gb 1333 DDR3 (1x8gb Corsair Vengence, 2x4gb Random), GPU: Diamond Radeon HD 7970,

PSU: EVGA GQ 650W, SSD: Kingston v300 128gb (OS), HDD: 700gb Seagate 7200rpm (Storage)

I don't know about you but one way I think i could convince my parents would be saying that they are good for typing and put less stress on the wrists. I have had a wrist sprain and my mom thinks its carpal tunnel so i guess that would work for me.

Yeah, I ended up convincing her because I said it would help out my Dyslexia possibly and it would last for much longer.  I also told her it could be perfect for me and so would be more comfortable and less painful.  And I won't get this: http://gamearthritis.org/

Make sure you order a sampler first. That way you know what switch you want and avoid wasting her money.

At the end of the day though, the truth is that mech keyboards are a luxury. You could buy a new $5 keyboard every couple of years and have spent half as much in a decade as you would have on a mechanical keyboard. You're paying significantly more purely for enjoyment. It's like buying an expensive car...In terms of road-use they do precisely the same thing, but one's just more fun to do it with.

Explain to her that mechanical keyboards will never brake even if you tried, last so much longer than membrane keys.

AFAIK maybe few years longer. Despite both will work long enough and propably most people wont hold to theirs for that long. Personally for me its a waste of cash. But hey! Its like - everybody have it soo why shouldnt me too.

Show her both and say "This one have a different click!". Youll for sure NOT gonna get it. Its only fashion about those keyboards.

Show this to your mom:

<p>Eryi's Action Rule#2 - "Dont jump on the green mushroom"

Ministry of StopIt!

LOL any explanation will not work for me,in that situation my mum will say:A keyboard is a keyboard,it does not have any medicine or magic on it.

Still using wireless acer membranes.

you don't NEED one.

I officially present you the Msacras award.

Yeah, Its hard trying to be friends with someone who you know is just doing it to drain the stuff out of you. I'm trying to find a group that actually is as smart as I am. One of my actual friends told me I was smarter than his college IT teacher ^_^

What might work is trying to find a group of friends that are semi like and trying to show them the awesomeness that is a life of a nerd. EX. My friend built a computer from a few of my other friends old parts. So far there is two. Then I build one. Now three. By this point people have started saving up/ buying them so now there is 7-8 who actually have them and everybody else except for one person want them. Granted me and the second guy are hands down the most nerdy but still a good example.

What might work is trying to find a group of friends that are semi like and trying to show them the awesomeness that is a life of a nerd. EX. My friend built a computer from a few of my other friends old parts. So far there is two. Then I build one. Now three. By this point people have started saving up/ buying them so now there is 7-8 who actually have them and everybody else except for one person want them. Granted me and the second guy are hands down the most nerdy but still a good example.

yeah, nerds are starting to be the cool thing  B)

tell her that anyone who doesnt have a mechanical keyboard is trash

I like them because when I feel the tacticle feedback or click noise I know for sure I've activated that key and I don't have to check my monitor, backspace.. and it's just better easier simpler, I started with blue (Blackwidow 2013 Ultimate) (Great Keyboard)

Gaming Rig - Excalibur - CPU: i5 6600k @ 4.1GHz, CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo, Mobo: MSI Gaming M3 RAM: 16GB Corsair @2400MHz, GPU: EVGA 1060, Case: NZXT Phantom Full Tower (Red)

My Virtualization Server - Dell R710: 2x X5570s @ 2.93GHz with 32GB DDR3 RAM [Web Server, OSX, Plex, Reverse Proxy]

I love computers, gaming, coding, and photography! Be sure to quote me so I can respond to your post!

tell her that anyone who doesnt have a mechanical keyboard is trash

yeah... im not going to be mean.  But my friend bought a Roccat Isku FX.  Not that thats a problem, just for the same price he could have bought a mechanical keyboard.

1) It doesn' feel like you are pressing down a piece of rubber.

2) It has a a satisfying click.

3) It will give you fever injuries using the keyboard.

4) It will give you credz among the people of your own age :)

Everything I know :(

'Dat Street Cred tho

| Case: NZXT Tempest 210 | CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K @ 3.9 Ghz | GPU: ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1070 | RAM: Crucial Ballistix Tactical 8GB |

| Mouse: Zowie FK1 | Monitor: Acer 21.5' | Keyboard: CoolerMaster Stealth w/ Brown Switches |

#KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #1080penis

i dont know if someone said this already 

But some mechanical keyboards have key rollover which mean you can press ALL the KEYS at the SAME TIME!!!

after you say this. she will definitely will buy one :D 

Same I have on friend who is really nerdy like me and others who have/are going to build a computer that are nerdy but not as much.

i7 4770k/Asus GTX 1080 TI/Asus RX5500 XT/Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB/Samsung 840 Pro 256GB/Seagate Barracuda 3TB/AX860i/ASUS Z87 PRO/Fractal Design Define R4/HD 598

Thanks guys! I've ordered the Razer blackwidow expert addition for 2 reasons: 

1. it was on sale

2. there are no cm storm quickfire tk cherry mx blue sold where I look. 

Thanks guys! I've ordered the Razer blackwidow expert addition for 2 reasons: 

1. it was on sale

2. there are no cm storm quickfire tk cherry mx blue sold where I look. 

at least when it breaks you can harvest the blues for something else.

Desktop -  i5 4670k, GTX 770, Maximums VI Hero, 2X Kingston Hyper X 3k in raid zero.

Laptop - Lenovo X230 Intel 535 480GB, 16GB Gskill memory, Classic Keyboard Mod, Triple USB 3.0 Express Card.

at least when it breaks you can harvest the blues for something else.

I don't think it will break soon.  Mechanical switches are good and don't ragequite since I rarley play games. :P

I don't think it will break soon.  Mechanical switches are good and don't ragequite since I rarley play games. :P

oh, i dont think the switchs will break any time soon. The black widow is notorious for having shit build quality and if anything is going to die it will probably be the PCB or controller. Like I said at least if that happens you can harvest the switchs. At any rate bad mechanical keyboards is still better than no mechanical keyboard.

Desktop -  i5 4670k, GTX 770, Maximums VI Hero, 2X Kingston Hyper X 3k in raid zero.

Laptop - Lenovo X230 Intel 535 480GB, 16GB Gskill memory, Classic Keyboard Mod, Triple USB 3.0 Express Card.

oh, i dont think the switchs will break any time soon. The black widow is notorious for having shit build quality and if anything is going to die it will probably be the PCB or controller. Like I said at least if that happens you can harvest the switchs. At any rate bad mechanical keyboards is still better than no mechanical keyboard.

Well, Razer is a premium brand and allot of people use them.  So I'm just going to go along with the flow.  If it lasts 3 or so years that fine.   I've had crappy $10 membranes last for that long so I'm not to worried. 

EDIT: The razer keyboard was on sale anyways, and was even cheaper than the quickfire TK.  So I really can't compare anything for that price to performance.  

Well, Razer is a premium brand and allot of people use them.  So I'm just going to go along with the flow.  If it lasts 3 or so years that fine.   I've had crappy $10 membranes last for that long so I'm not to worried. 

Razer is not a premium brand. They are a mainstream brand that everyone buys because of their incredible marketing department. They do have some good products such as the Deathadder and their mouse mats but while they are a big player in the keyboard space they are only there because of the aforementioned marketing. Premium keyboard brands include the likes of ducky, flico and leopold. All this said it should last at least 3 years but if it ever does break consider another brand of board.

Explain it to something she knows, like using a knife. Say to her, imaging you had to use a rubber or plastic knife to cut everything. It'd be hard and would hurt your hand after a while. Now try and do it with a precision cut metal blade. Much easier, comfier and doesn't hurt you after repitition. Or if she drives a car you could compare it to a nice mechanical feeling gearbox that gives you the satisfying click when changing gears, like in a Porsche, compared to a cheap gearbox.

Razer is not a premium brand. They are a mainstream brand that everyone buys because of their incredible marketing department. They do have some good products such as the Deathadder and their mouse mats but while they are a big player in the keyboard space they are only there because of the aforementioned marketing. Premium keyboard brands include the likes of ducky, flico and leopold. All this said it should last at least 3 years but if it ever does break consider another brand of board.

Yeah, though sadly none of those brands are sold here, except CM storm and razer which are the only mechanical keyboard brands sold here (and corsair and steelseries) I do know that Razer products are a gimmick.  But I do not buy gimmick products without a good reason.  Like I said this was cheaper than the quickfire tk and even some of the membrane gaming keyboards.  So for that price you really can't beat it, or you can't except premium quality either.  Even though it was on sale, if I bought anything below the premium price of things, I wouldn't expect good quality.  Its also got all the features of the ultimate except back lighting and some ports.  Though I have yet to see how bad it is, because you really have to experience it yourself before sealing your opinion with words.  I am warned of the bad, so thank you :) if it brakes I'll RMA it and get something else.  

And the flex doesn't appear to be all that bad according to this 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDQNusHVrEY

Yeah, though sadly none of those brands are sold here, except CM storm and razer which are the only mechanical keyboard brands sold here (and corsair and steelseries) I do know that Razer products are a gimmick.  But I do not buy gimmick products without a good reason.  Like I said this was cheaper than the quickfire tk and even some of the membrane gaming keyboards.  So for that price you really can't beat it, or you can't except premium quality either.  Even though it was on sale, if I bought anything below the premium price of things, I wouldn't expect good quality.  Its also got all the features of the ultimate except back lighting and some ports.  Though I have yet to see how bad it is, because you really have to experience it yourself before sealing your opinion with words.  I am warned of the bad, so thank you :) if it brakes I'll RMA it and get something else.  

And the flex doesn't appear to be all that bad according to this 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDQNusHVrEY

out of all those options i would go with the corsair had they been the same price but considering you got the thing on sale its not really that big of a deal. Steelseries are good but they only do boards in cherry mx black which i have no love for.