General Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Discussion

Go to solution Solved by GrockleTD,

image.jpeg.b8411fead9bfaea71c078608c4627778.jpeg

1 minute ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Yea looks like 170$ average for X99. 

Up to you how you handle this one. I can only help so much. 

under 300 bucks, ebay deals 2700x

3600x around the same as 2700x tad more.

Saw a Ryzen 1400 combo for 150+15. But that' probably lacks any luster. (A320 chipset no oc)(150-200 for OC boards)

2600x looks like around 250.

All give or take numbers.

Sell hardware and then have funds? (I don't know your financial situation)

Yeah, it's a tough decision for sure.

Another option is find a combo that gives me a sufficient CPU and motherboard, but a different architecture. Maybe a 6700K or whatever? I'm not sure yet.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

1 minute ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Yeah, it's a tough decision for sure.

Another option is find a combo that gives me a sufficient CPU and motherboard, but a different architecture. Maybe a 6700K or whatever? I'm not sure yet.

When shopping today, you buy as current as possible. (Imo.). 

I'd pit my 2700x rig against any of the greatest 8/9/10 series Intel. The price to performance is way killer.

Runs cooler, consumes less to run per clock cycle. 

16 threads 300 bucks. This is a no brainer. Could do the 1700X instead......

Just now, ShrimpBrime said:

I'd pit my 2700x rig against any of the greatest 8/9/10 series Intel. The price to performance is way killer.

For sure.

I tend to gravitate towards the best bang for my buck. On a budget, that tends to end up being used market Intel in most cases.

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

For sure.

I tend to gravitate towards the best bang for my buck. On a budget, that tends to end up being used market Intel in most cases.

Used 6700K cost as much as New 2700x. And the poor 6700K gets it's ass handed to itself in comparison dollar to dollar.

Most would say cough it up for a 3600X, but yea that's a neat idea if you only need/want 12 threads.

Lots of options, I'm basing ideas off of board and Cpu around 300 bucks.

2 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Lots of options, I'm basing ideas off of board and Cpu around 300 bucks.

I'd like to stay under $200 if at all possible, so it may just end up being a new X99 board.

Still got a couple tricks up my sleeve that I'm gonna try on this system, though.

I'd like to stay under $200 if at all possible, so it may just end up being a new X99 board.

Yep. Selling makes it a hassle. I completely agree and understand. 

My 2 systems are no joke.

8700K running memory 2133mhz effective 16-16-16 F@H OCCT tested stable. 

I do not give opinions biased in any way. Love both AMD and Intel.

Love both AMD and Intel.

I like whichever gives me the best performance for my price point, usually. Not really biased in either direction.

Just now, Crunchy Dragon said:

I like whichever gives me the best performance for my price point, usually. Not really biased in either direction.

I'd do this board. Says unused. 

In fact I'd jump on it right now if possible. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Never-used-ASUS-X99-E-ATX-Intel-Motherboard-LGA2011/133344557522?hash=item1f0bf479d2:g:v~0AAOSwAHFeVaXz

5 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

I'd do this board. Says unused. 

In fact I'd jump on it right now if possible. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Never-used-ASUS-X99-E-ATX-Intel-Motherboard-LGA2011/133344557522?hash=item1f0bf479d2:g:v~0AAOSwAHFeVaXz

I'll try what tricks I have left first.

Could be as simple as cpu reseat.....

6 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Could be as simple as cpu reseat.....

Reseated it twice :/

Reseated just about everything, really. I'm gonna tear the board out and see if I can get it to work outside the case.

9 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Reseated it twice :/

Reseated just about everything, really. I'm gonna tear the board out and see if I can get it to work outside the case.

Do a loooong bios reset while you have it all out. Maybe take it all out, set it up. Then remove any and all power source cmos jumper in place while you sleep on it. I know some of my boards don't reset cmos settings right away after leaving the battery out. Takes quite a bit of time for caps to leak out the energy.

Do a loooong bios reset while you have it all out. Maybe take it all out, set it up. Then remove any and all power source cmos jumper in place while you sleep on it. I know some of my boards don't reset cmos settings right away after leaving the battery out. Takes quite a bit of time for caps to leak out the energy.

Yeah, it's a process for sure. I'm just getting the bare minimum out, just my motherboard, PSU, and GPU.

Yeah, it's a process for sure. I'm just getting the bare minimum out, just my motherboard, PSU, and GPU.

I have been running case'less for the past few years. 

Got tired of all the crazy hardware swapping difficulties that cases involve lol. 

So my PC sits on top of an old TV cart 3 foot tall 2 foot deep 3 foot wide. Even has a nice little shelf for stuff. 

SilverStone TJ07 sits collecting dust. Poor thing. 

1 minute ago, Schnoz said:

I found a Xeon E5520 (Nehalem, LGA1366, 4C/8T, 2.53 GHz). How good is that for a processor of that generation? Also, I heard there was a strong demand for LGA1366 processors. Is that true?

It's not the best, but it's not terrible. The hexacore Xeons are in much higher demand as far as I know, but I haven't kept up with the X58 market a whole lot.

4 hours ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

My baby decided it wasn't gonna boot anymore today.

I decided it was time to do some actual cleaning(been almost 6 months since I started running X99), took it apart, dusted, repasted, put it back together, almost nothing.

Reseated RAM, reseated CPU, reseated PSU connectors, unplugged SATA drives, tried every PCIe graphics card I own, same behavior: all fans turn on for a while, system shuts down, system powers back on. Almost like a boot loop except no boot.

Anybody have any suggestions?

No error codes of any type? What CPU, mobo, and RAM config are you running?

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

Just now, Zando Bob said:

No error codes of any type? What CPU, mobo, and RAM config are you running?

No POST speaker, no fancy LED debug(rip in X99).

i7-5820K
Gigabyte X99-SLI
4x4GB DDR4-2400

53 minutes ago, Schnoz said:

I found a Xeon E5520 (Nehalem, LGA1366, 4C/8T, 2.53 GHz). How good is that for a processor of that generation? Also, I heard there was a strong demand for LGA1366 processors. Is that true?

Strong demand, also a very strong supply, they won't sell for a lot unless it's the very highest SKU (so for Xeons the X5690, maaaybe X5680, for i7s pretty much anything i7 970 or higher). Depending on the mobo it'd likely go for a bit, but still not much if it's a more basic server board.

10 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

No POST speaker, no fancy LED debug(rip in X99).

Oof ?. Not really a RIP for X99 though, my X99 boards both have POST Code readouts and speakers, as do my X79 and X58 boards. It's just a RIP for that specific mobo ?.

10 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

i7-5820K
Gigabyte X99-SLI
4x4GB DDR4-2400

Hmmmmm... Good lord, does it not even have error lights? Not seeing anything on those in the manual ?. I assume you've cleared CMOS both with the jumper and battery removal method? Also checked the CPU jumper to make sure that didn't get switched to OC mode for some reason, and tried with a single stick of RAM? Seems weird that something would just stop working suddenly without any warning beforehand.

1 hour ago, ShrimpBrime said:

A no fun-er either. That platform was so disappointing that I moved back to X58 because it was more fun. It's utterly depressing that a 2700X with an all-core OC is slower in games than just leaving PBO on and fucking right off.

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

5 hours ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

My baby decided it wasn't gonna boot anymore today.

I decided it was time to do some actual cleaning(been almost 6 months since I started running X99), took it apart, dusted, repasted, put it back together, almost nothing.

Reseated RAM, reseated CPU, reseated PSU connectors, unplugged SATA drives, tried every PCIe graphics card I own, same behavior: all fans turn on for a while, system shuts down, system powers back on. Almost like a boot loop except no boot.

Anybody have any suggestions?

Have you been able test individual components on another machine? CPU, psu, gpu, etc.

I did not see any mention of trying a cold reset:

Disconnect all power, remove motherboard battery, and close the CL_RTC jumper if your motherboard has one, then with the psu unplugged but switched to the ON position, press and hold the power button on the case for at least 30 seconds.

That has helped me out of many odd situations

Just now, Zando Bob said:

Oof ?. Not really a RIP for X99 though, my X99 boards both have POST Code readouts and speakers, as do my X79 and X58 boards. It's just a RIP for that specific mobo ?.

Hmmmmm... Good lord, does it not even have error lights? Not seeing anything on those in the manual ?. I assume you've cleared CMOS both with the jumper and battery removal method? Also checked the CPU jumper to make sure that didn't get switched to OC mode for some reason, and tried with a single stick of RAM? Seems weird that something would just stop working suddenly without any warning beforehand.

I tried everything I can with what I have.

1 minute ago, Skunch said:

Have you been able test individual components on another machine? CPU, psu, gpu, etc.

I did not see any mention of trying a cold reset:

Disconnect all power, remove motherboard battery, and close the CL_RTC jumper if your motherboard has one, then with the psu unplugged but switched to the ON position, press and hold the power button on the case for at least 30 seconds.

That has helped me out of many odd situations

Unfortunately I can't test anything, but I tried every variation of hardware possible with the parts I have on hand.

Unfortunately I can't test anything, but I tried every variation of hardware possible with the parts I have on hand.

If you can find a way to test the parts, it helps you find out how many replacements you'll need to buy ?

3 minutes ago, Skunch said:

If you can find a way to test the parts, it helps you find out how many replacements you'll need to buy ?

That's why I'm looking for a relatively cheap working motherboard.

If I'm lucky, it's just the board that's dead. Symptoms seem more appropriate for a dead motherboard than anything else.

2 hours ago, Zando Bob said:

A no fun-er either. That platform was so disappointing that I moved back to X58 because it was more fun. It's utterly depressing that a 2700X with an all-core OC is slower in games than just leaving PBO on and fucking right off.

Hey there watch who you call a no funner! 

I have my old hardware too.... it predates anything in your sig. Blow your doors off with my AGP card mutha funka. ?

7 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Hey there watch who you call a no funner! 

I have my old hardware too.... it predates anything in your sig. Blow your doors off with my AGP card mutha funka. ?

Hey, I've got AGP as well!