Does a Wireless repeater cut internet speed in half

avg123

From what I've read online, a repeater cuts bandwidth in half

1.Does the repeater affect the primary router?

So a device connect to the repeater will get half the speed, but does installing a repeater affect the speed of the primary router? Will the speed of devices connected to the primary router decrease in any way if a repeater is installed?

2.What exactly is meant by the fact bandwith is halved by the repeater?

Say I have a 300mbps primary router, 300mbps repeater and a 100mbps internet connection. A device connected to the primary router is getting 100mbps speed. Arepeater halfs the bandwidth. So half of 300mbps is 150mbps. Now my 100mbps connection is less than 150mbps. So will a device connected to the repeater get the full 100mbps or will it get 50 mbps? 

3.Does using a repeater increase lag?

1.Does the repeater affect the primary router? , no only the devices that are connected to the repeater will be affected

2.What exactly is meant by the fact bandwith is halved by the repeater?

2.What exa Say I have a 300mbps primary router, 300mbps repeater and a 100mbps internet connection. A device connected to the primary router is getting 100mbps speed. Arepeater halfs the bandwidth. So half of 300mbps is 150mbps. Now my 100mbps connection is less than 150mbps. So will a device connected to the repeater get the full 100mbps or will it get 50 mbps? 

it cuts the speed in half because it can only connect 1time per time, if u put somthing between that it would have to connect 2times , thus if u would have 100mb internet it would become 50mb due to it having to connect/communicate twice rather then once

3.Does using a repeater increase lag?  yes it increases delay because there are more communications required to access ur pc/network

use a extra accesspoint instead such as a second router ( in access point mode ) to avoid this issue all over

(◑‿◐)

1. No

2. Local bandwidth, it will only impact internet speed if the halfed local throughput is less than the internet speed.

3. Yes

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

just set up an AP instead? seems strange that a repeater would cut your bandwidth in half, but an AP wont atleast

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

I actually have a blog post that illustrates this issue.

https://happylittleforkbomb.wordpress.com/2017/08/17/wifis-and-the-netizens-who-love-then/

unless a repeater is located where it has a good connection (where your devices have a good connection), it will have a bad connection and need to resend packets a lot.

On 24/09/2017 at 2:11 PM, Brian Blankenship said:

I actually have a blog post that illustrates this issue.

https://happylittleforkbomb.wordpress.com/2017/08/17/wifis-and-the-netizens-who-love-then/

unless a repeater is located where it has a good connection (where your devices have a good connection), it will have a bad connection and need to resend packets a lot.

Wonderful article describing the concept of using wired access points. My only feedback is NOT to name your networks the same unless you know your device and the routers all support Band Steering between 2.4GHz and 5GHz networks. I only say this because although my Note 3 supports full speeds on both bands, switching between the 2 is not at all seamless as there's a 5-10 second break in network connectivity when it switches. However, if your devices support this functionality, then holy crap is it ever amazing.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

On 9/29/2017 at 7:10 PM, kirashi said:

Wonderful article describing the concept of using wired access points. My only feedback is NOT to name your networks the same unless you know your device and the routers all support Band Steering between 2.4GHz and 5GHz networks. I only say this because although my Note 3 supports full speeds on both bands, switching between the 2 is not at all seamless as there's a 5-10 second break in network connectivity when it switches. However, if your devices support this functionality, then holy crap is it ever amazing.

That's a good point! Thank you for noting that. I only use one type of network for a device (whatever the best it can do is), so I never saw an issue with that.