UI Criticism

Hey guys! 

So I'm working on a school project where I'm going to be making hangman. 

I built a quick UI prototype in mockplus, and I want some of you guys to try it out.

Just maybe a minute's worth of your time, just wanted to get some feedback on layout. Thanks!

HangmanPrototype-Win.zip

Virustotal report: here (I know there are 2 false positives, but I can assure you it's just what mockplus exported, nothing changed)

Want to know which mobo to get?

Spoiler

Choose whatever you need. Any more, you're wasting your money. Any less, and you don't get the features you need.

Only you know what you need to do with your computer, so nobody's really qualified to answer this question except for you.

chEcK iNsidE sPoilEr fOr a tREat!

So, is this not supposed to work? Just look at the UI?

Cause the quit button and on screen keyboard don't work.

Also, the interface shows up in a windows inside a window, not sure if that's intentional.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

So, is this not supposed to work? Just look at the UI?

Cause the quit button and on screen keyboard don't work.

Also, the interface shows up in a windows inside a window, not sure if that's intentional.

Haha yeah lol. 

On screen keyboard is just an image :P

Was the design kind of intuitive, or should I move some UI elements around?

Spoiler

Choose whatever you need. Any more, you're wasting your money. Any less, and you don't get the features you need.

Only you know what you need to do with your computer, so nobody's really qualified to answer this question except for you.

7 minutes ago, bob51zhang said:

Haha yeah lol. 

On screen keyboard is just an image :P

Was the design kind of intuitive, or should I move some UI elements around?

Looked pretty good to me.

Maybe keep things consistent by making the thickness of the lines around each button the same thickness as the line around the whole 3 buttons, and make the corners the same radius too.

Also the back button and credits button should have the same thickness border as the main 3 buttons.

I would recommend using a different font too.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

What is this crap? 33MB? Why does the .exe includes massive picture of iPhones, Android phone, and iPhones Home button, cursor and a huge library of shit images? On top of that legacy old cursors from Windows 2000 and/or older days, a SQL thinking cursor from early 90's?

Image1.png.86935a99da0e744089a6396f94eee649.png

Image2.png.7d5263a12538ff05b190b07cbb9326fe.png

Can't you make a more compact with, what it looks like (after looking through the exe): Mockplus?

Sorry for digging through your exe, but I was too curious why it was so big. At first, due to the vector images, and similar file size,  I though it was a Flash project that you passed through a swf2exe program like SWF Studio or Zinc or something, as Flash plugin + small Flash project is about the same file size.. but it was too quick to run. So, I dig deeper.

Anyway, to answer your question:

• You show a desktop applications, that is fine, but why show a touch screen keyboard? Windows PC have a physical keyboard or a touch screen keyboard already.
  • There is no place to show the invalid letters picked. Instead of the useless on screen keyboard, show that instead.
  • Why credits are 3 columns? Really? You need all these developers for a hangman game?
  • The legs of your dancing hangman don't connect to its body

Like I don't know... I am no designer, I don't know Mockplus, and I am not sure what class you are doing...

Why not make it fun? Have fun! Go crazy!

Here is my take on it, perhaps it can push some excitement and inspiration on your side.

hangman.png.12eda298fdfa1adc6ecaa7a7559a07ed.png

Between screens (menu, game, credit), the chalkboard remain static, or if you plan to build the game, have fun with some hardware accelerated graphics, and have he camera move/scroll left/right to a long/infinite chalkboard texture that you get. Make it that when you hit the "Quit" button, the school bell rings. As you play you have class room kids talking at a low level, and chalk writing sound as you mouse pick or type the letter.

Here, attached, is the Paint.NET (free program) layered image format (.pdn) for your to download and have fun changing.

I used:

Only issue is that the title bar text is not properly aligned with the window control buttons but I am too lazy to fix this. :P

Coding it:

You should be able to code this in C# with XAML (Windows Presentation Foundation), as a Universal Windows Application. You can code it with C# Win32 as well, but getting the title bar transparent might a serious pain. Try and see.

GoodBytes Super Hangman 2000.pdn

8 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

-snip- 

Whoa! Thanks for spending so much time thinking about it!

The 33MB stuff probably took in all the elements required for any project. Just got mockplus today to prototype a basic UI :P

really like the idea you're going for. Looks very refined & polished, and has a sense of a legit game to it.

The problem is that I'm using processing (crappy JVM based graphical scripting language) to do this, so the bar's probably not gonna be transparent, but I'm sure that'll be fine.

I might add on a transition animation of the blackboard being erased, among a few others. But thanks again for the suggestions. I'll keep you updated on the finished product if you would like.

Spoiler

Whoa! Thanks for spending so much time thinking about it!

Always here to support fellow devs and GUI designers :D

The 33MB stuff probably took in all the elements required for any project. Just got mockplus today to prototype a basic UI :P

Ah ok... still terrible :)

really like the idea you're going for. Looks very refined & polished, and has a sense of a legit game to it.

:D

The problem is that I'm using processing (crappy JVM based graphical scripting language) to do this, so the bar's probably not gonna be transparent, but I'm sure that'll be fine.

Oh well... Well good luck!

I might add on a transition animation of the blackboard being erased, among a few others. But thanks again for the suggestions. I'll keep you updated on the finished product if you would like.

Would seriously love to try it out! I can't wait. :)

Oh the false positive are A/V that just flags any packaged .exe it sees. I doubt they even scan anything.. it goes ":shock: :shock:!!! A packaged .exe... must contain the latest viruses!!!. Why check? It is clearly a trojan!".