Please help please please harddrive error I don’t even know

Jack Dvorak

I tried to put my laptop drive in my desktop and I realized that I didn’t need it so I turned my computer off and took it off and reconnected everything and it is coming up with the weird 0xc00000f error and I can’t get into bios cuz my keyboard doesn’t turn on until windows is launched and I don’t have another keyboard and I need my computer fixed within 3 hours please help

2 minutes ago, Jack Dvorak said:

I tried to put my laptop drive in my desktop and I realized that I didn’t need it so I turned my computer off and took it off and reconnected everything and it is coming up with the weird 0xc00000f error and I can’t get into bios cuz my keyboard doesn’t turn on until windows is launched and I don’t have another keyboard and I need my computer fixed within 3 hours please help

It's because you're trying to boot an install of Windows from another machine. The cleanest, less painful way of dealing with this is to reinstall Windows completely. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

1 minute ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

It's because you're trying to boot an install of Windows from another machine. The cleanest, less painful way of dealing with this is to reinstall Windows completely. 

I cannot do that I have too many important files please help.

1 minute ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

I managed to get into bios I don’t want to lose any files please

Just now, LabRat said:

disconnect laptop drive ( physically ) from pc. boot with original HD hooked up.

I did that and this happened

Just now, Jack Dvorak said:

I cannot do that I have too many important files please help.

If you're trying to retrieve files, boot off the drive originally used to for the OS on your desktop. The drive from your laptop will appear in Windows as just regular storage with the files intact. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 

Just now, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

If you're trying to retrieve files, boot off the drive originally used to for the OS on your desktop. The drive from your laptop will appear in Windows as just regular storage with the files intact. 

No I just wanted more storage for some other things and if I reinstall windows do I lose all of my files?

yes, you will lose whatever is on the drive.

you should have hot swapped the laptop drive into the pc and reformatted it while the pc was active.

Just now, LabRat said:

yes, you will lose whatever is on the drive.

you should have hot swapped the laptop drive into the pc and reformatted it while the pc was active.

I didn’t know how oh my god I hate my life is there any way at all to fix this without losing anything

No I just wanted more storage for some other things and if I reinstall windows do I lose all of my files?

You won't loose files if you don't format the drive from your laptop. Unplug the SATA cable to the drive from the laptop, wait until Windows boots, then plug back in your drive.

I didn’t know how oh my god I hate my life is there any way at all to fix this without losing anything

Just calm down, you're confusing us and yourself. If you haven't tried reinstall Windows, you haven't lost anything yet.

Just now, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Just calm down, you're confusing us and yourself. If you haven't tried reinstall Windows, you haven't lost anything yet.

I have not, i just have this error since then I have not done anything to it. Please help I got into bios tho

really, you're trying to get your original pc booted up. ??? and using the laptop drive for extra storage right...??

Just now, LabRat said:

really, you're trying to get your original pc booted up. ??? and using the laptop drive for extra storage right...??

I feel like we should start from the beginning. 

1 minute ago, LabRat said:

Yes, I took the laptop drive out as I don’t need it anymore. I forgot I had enough space on another drive. And when I shut my pc fully off and took it out, then I restarted my computer and this error occurred.

You need to plug the drive into a different fully functioning PC, save your files on the other computer, then clean install windows.

https://www.howtogeek.com/224342/how-to-clean-install-windows-10/

No there is no other way to do it, unless you want to buy a brand new drive.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

2 minutes ago, Enderman said:

You need to plug the drive into a different fully functioning PC, save your files on the other computer, then clean install windows.

https://www.howtogeek.com/224342/how-to-clean-install-windows-10/

No there is no other way to do it, unless you want to buy a brand new drive.

I cannot do that this is the only pc in the household. Are you sure this is the only way. No other way in the world whatsoever.

2 minutes ago, Jack Dvorak said:

I cannot do that this is the only pc in the household. Are you sure this is the only way. No other way in the world whatsoever.

So let me confirm this...

You wanted to use your old laptop drive as a storage drive for your desktop. So you plugged it into your desktop. Now it wouldn't boot, even if you unplug the laptop drive or have it boot off of the original drive from the boot menu. Is that correct? 

I want you to explicitly answer, have you tried removing the laptop drive, just leaving the original drive to boot Windows? 

It sounds like the original drive won't boot even now that the laptop drive is disconnected. Is the PC UEFI or Legacy boot? If you can get into the BIOS, try selecting the original drive as the very first boot device. It may still be looking for another SATA device.

• CPU
    Intel Core i7-7820X @ 4.2GHz
  • Motherboard
    Asus Prime X299 Deluxe
  • RAM
    32GB G.Skill TridentZ RGB DDR4
  • GPU
    GTX 1080Ti FE
  • Case
    Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX
  • Storage
    500GB 960 Pro SSD, 240GB PNY SATA SSD, 3TB WD Red NAS
  • PSU
    Corsair RMx Series, RM850x
  • Display(s)
    3x 1080p Garbage
  • Cooling
    Fully Custom EK :D
  • Keyboard
    Razer BlackWidow Chroma "Clicky"
  • Mouse
    Razer Super Mega Black Mamba of Death 9000DPI
  • Sound
    Logitech Something with a broken bass adjustment knob so it's always rupturing spleens
  • Operating System
    NSA-Approved version of Windows 10 Pro

8 minutes ago, Jack Dvorak said:

You either use another PC to get the data off, or you wipe the drive.

Should have done your research before messing with stuff like this...

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

4 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

So let me confirm this...

You wanted to use your old laptop drive as a storage drive for your desktop. So you plugged it into your desktop. Now it wouldn't boot, even if you unplug the laptop drive or have it boot off of the original drive from the boot menu. Is that correct? 

I want you to explicitly answer, have you tried removing the laptop drive, just leaving the original drive to boot Windows? 

Yes. It didn’t launch with the laptop drive in, so I took it back out. And the same error occurred. The boot sequence is still how it should be... 

2 minutes ago, BWLServers said:

It sounds like the original drive won't boot even now that the laptop drive is disconnected. Is the PC UEFI or Legacy boot? If you can get into the BIOS, try selecting the original drive as the very first boot device. It may still be looking for another SATA device.

I did that, the primary boot source is the main hardrive

Just now, Enderman said:

You either use another PC to get the data off, or you wipe the drive.

Should have done your research before messing with stuff like this...

That's not very constructive or necessarily true. A hard drive doesn't just not boot for no reason and become completely unfixable.

If we can get into a command prompt we can investigate further.

• CPU
    Intel Core i7-7820X @ 4.2GHz
  • Motherboard
    Asus Prime X299 Deluxe
  • RAM
    32GB G.Skill TridentZ RGB DDR4
  • GPU
    GTX 1080Ti FE
  • Case
    Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX
  • Storage
    500GB 960 Pro SSD, 240GB PNY SATA SSD, 3TB WD Red NAS
  • PSU
    Corsair RMx Series, RM850x
  • Display(s)
    3x 1080p Garbage
  • Cooling
    Fully Custom EK :D
  • Keyboard
    Razer BlackWidow Chroma "Clicky"
  • Mouse
    Razer Super Mega Black Mamba of Death 9000DPI
  • Sound
    Logitech Something with a broken bass adjustment knob so it's always rupturing spleens
  • Operating System
    NSA-Approved version of Windows 10 Pro