GTX 1060 or GTX 1070? 2560 x 1080 @ 60fps

Go to solution Solved by Guest,

High Ultra TW3 then defo 1070, esp. at that res and 60fps

I'm trying to decide between a GTX 1060 or a GTX 1070. I could just buy 1070, but if you guys know that the 1060 will be able to perform for what I want, I'll be able to save 200 bucks :D

I'm aiming for games like Witcher 3 on High to Ultra settings on this monitor: LG 29UM68-P 29IN 21:9 (2560x1080p) at 60fps. 

Also, to avoid asking this question in the future and to learn something, how do you guys know if a graphics card will be able to run at the required resolution? Can you use manufacturing specs or is it based on tests and benchmarks done by enthusiasts? 

Thanks for the help! 

GTX 1070

The 1060 was made especially for current games on high-ultra settings at 1920x1080. Anything higher and a GTX 1070 is a significant step up.

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

1 minute ago, RiqSha said:

Also, to avoid asking this question in the future and to learn something, how do you guys know if a graphics card will be able to run at the required resolution? Can you use manufacturing specs or is it based on tests and benchmarks done by enthusiasts? 

nvidia and amd both sell many of each GPU they make, and most games sell just as many copies..

and with the world of the internet, everyone is suddenly a reviewer, so chances are very good that someone somewhere has the exact combination you're looking for, and all you need to do is find that person.

--

trough my almost 3 years at LTT forums i've actually bumped into a few people with almost the exact same setup as me, one of them coming creepily close to identical.

4 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

Thanks m8 ! 

3 minutes ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

GTX 1070

The 1060 was made especially for current games on high-ultra settings at 1920x1080. Anything higher and a GTX 1070 is a significant step up.

Ahh, thanks for the tip.

I was trying to cheap out and trying to save some money but I'm guessing that would have just cost me more in the long run.

Thanks guys! 

4 minutes ago, manikyath said:

nvidia and amd both sell many of each GPU they make, and most games sell just as many copies..

and with the world of the internet, everyone is suddenly a reviewer, so chances are very good that someone somewhere has the exact combination you're looking for, and all you need to do is find that person.

--

trough my almost 3 years at LTT forums i've actually bumped into a few people with almost the exact same setup as me, one of them coming creepily close to identical.

You're right. I'll try to do that next time. Tankz.

2 minutes ago, RiqSha said:

I was trying to cheap out and trying to save some money but I'm guessing that would have just cost me more in the long run.

Top tip: Never cheap out on a critical component when it comes to what you are building your PC for.

If you just want to game at 1920x1080 on high-ultra settings in the latest AAA titles at 60FPS or little more, the 1060 will be more than adequate.

If you want 120FPS on that same resolution or if you're going even wider or moving up to QHD, the 1070 is a better bet and will be a much more worthwhile purchase for those situations.

Basically, don't worry too much about the price. Instead, think more of what you're getting in return for what you want to use it for. There's a reason why I never recommend cheap, low-end GPUs for most people unless they want it for fun or just to use as a backup in case their main GPU does a dead.

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

the 1060 is definitely capable, but you can get the 1070 to have some peace of mind.

Core i7 7700k Kabylake stock + Kraken x52 | ASUS Z170-A | 8GB DDR4 2133MHz HyperX | ASUS GeForce GTX 1060 STRIX 6GB | 250GB SSD Samsung 850 EVO + 2TB HDD WD RE4 | Seasonic X-Series 650w | Corsair 460x RGB  | Win 10 Pro 64 bit | Corsair M65 PRO RGB Mouse | Corsair K70 RGB RapidFire

3 hours ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

Top tip: Never cheap out on a critical component when it comes to what you are building your PC for.

If you just want to game at 1920x1080 on high-ultra settings in the latest AAA titles at 60FPS or little more, the 1060 will be more than adequate.

If you want 120FPS on that same resolution or if you're going even wider or moving up to QHD, the 1070 is a better bet and will be a much more worthwhile purchase for those situations.

Basically, don't worry too much about the price. Instead, think more of what you're getting in return for what you want to use it for. There's a reason why I never recommend cheap, low-end GPUs for most people unless they want it for fun or just to use as a backup in case their main GPU does a dead.

Yeah, I agree. To be honest, if I had more time in my schedule and I knew I would be gaming a lot more I'd go with the 1070 without question. But as much as I want to play up coming games like ANTHEM, I most likely will only have time to play single player games like TW3, ME Andromeda, AC Origins, etc. So since it won't see as much use, I was trying to see if I could go with the 1060.

But I will up my resolution by next year and I want to be able to play 60fps with peace of mind when I do, so it seems 1070 is the best choice.

Thanks! 

My old RX480 used to handly 2560x1080 really well.  I think that the 1060 would be fine for now, but if you're looking for something that will hold up for a bit longer the 1070 is probably a good call.

19 minutes ago, veli2501 said:

My old RX480 used to handly 2560x1080 really well.  I think that the 1060 would be fine for now, but if you're looking for something that will hold up for a bit longer the 1070 is probably a good call.

Yeah it seems 1070 would just be the better option. Thanks for all the help guys! 

• 2 months later...