gtx 1060 3gb questions

hi guys! i'm new to this pc building thing and the vram confused me. should i buy the gtx 1060 3gb or the 1050ti 4gb variant? which card will last me longer? the games that i'm planning to play are PUBG Overwatch and gta 5. those kind of games :) and paired with r3 1200 or r5 1400.

1060 6gb with a 1200

Ion (Main Build)                                                                                        Overall Setup

i5 6500 3.2 GHz                                                                     -Blue snowball (White) thanks goodwill

MSI Mortar Arctic                                                                   -Logitech K120

Asus 1060 6GB Dual                                                             -Logitech Daedalus Prime G302

PNY CS1311 120 GB                                                            -Mousepad I made in 1st grade with my name on it                                                 

WD Caviar Blue 1 TB                                                              

Crucial Ballistix Sport LT White 16GB (8x2GB) 2400

NZXT S340 White

Corsair CXM 450W 

Lenovo H320 (Old Pre-built PC)                                      Possible upgrade for H320          

i5 650 3.2 GHz (heh)                                                                                    Xeon X3470

Motherboard unknown                                                       Same Motherboard

iGPU                                                                                   GT 1030 (MSI Low Profile Half Height)

Crucial 240GB SSD                                                           Crucial 240GB SSD

6GB DDR3 (4+2GB)                                                           8-10GB DDR3 (4+2+2GB/4+4+2GB)

Lenovo H320 case                                                             Lenovo H320 case

Unknown PSU (210W?)                                                     Same PSU (210W?)    

9 hours ago, rookie.wanna.play said:

hi guys! i'm new to this pc building thing and the vram confused me. should i buy the gtx 1060 3gb or the 1050ti 4gb variant? which card will last me longer? the games that i'm planning to play are PUBG Overwatch and gta 5. those kind of games :) and paired with r3 1200 or r5 1400.

I'd recommend you wait a bit and gather more money and go with 1060 6gb and a R5 1500x.

|| CPU: Intel i5-8600K || Cooler: CoolerMaster Hyper 212X || Motherboard: Gigabyte Z370 HD3P || GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1050ti OC Windforce 4GB || Memory: 16GB Crucial DDR4 3000mhz || HDD: WD Black 500GB + Seagate Barracuda 2TB || SSD: Samsung 980 1TB || PSU: Corsair VS550 || Case: nJoy Ice Cage || Fans: Segotep Halo Ring RGB ||Monitor: 2x Dell 27" P2717H IPS Full HD || Second Monitor/TV: LG 49UJ620V UHD || Mouse: Logitech G502 || Keyboard: Logitech G810 + Royal Kludge RK84 || Speakers: Philips SPA-5300 subw + Arylic 2.1 + DIY Bookshelves w/ Dayton Audio || Headphones: HyperX Cloud Flight S ||

TO BE UPGRADED:

>> Headphones << >> Keyboard << >> HDD << >> Mouse << >> PC Case << >> Memory(another stick) << >> Graphics Card << 

People like to crap on the 3GB version, but there is only a 5-10% performance between them, assuming you're running both at playable settings. If you try to run them at settings where neither would get 60fps, then the 3GB version does much worse. If you can, then get the 6GB version though. 

The R5 1400 is good (and the 1200 is okay too), but make sure to pair it with 3200MHz RAM for the best performance. Make sure the motherboard supports that too. 

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

6 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

but there is only a 5-10% performance between them

True up until you use up that frame buffer, at which point you have a paperweight instead of a GPU. The 1060 3GB is kind of a stupid purchase in my opinion, it's comparable to a 980Ti in speed but has a microscopic frame buffer. 3GB frame buffer if you're playing at 1440p with a card that powerful is just gimping your purchase. A 1060 in GTA5 for example will easily run it at 1440p on a mix of high/ultra with 2x MSAA, and will use more than 4GB of VRAM.

9 hours ago, rookie.wanna.play said:

GTX 1060 6GB with an R3 1200

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

39 minutes ago, Cookybiscuit said:

True up until you use up that frame buffer, at which point you have a paperweight instead of a GPU. The 1060 3GB is kind of a stupid purchase in my opinion, it's comparable to a 980Ti in speed but has a microscopic frame buffer. 3GB frame buffer if you're playing at 1440p with a card that powerful is just gimping your purchase. A 1060 in GTA5 for example will easily run it at 1440p on a mix of high/ultra with 2x MSAA, and will use more than 4GB of VRAM.

You missed what I said about "playable settings". When you're at a present where the frame buffer is used up, both cards are getting dragged down. Take a look at this 1440p comparison. 

As you'll see, unless you're running settings where even the 6GB model can't keep 60fps, there is barely a difference. 

Also, running out of memory doesn't mean the card stops working. It just means some of the textures are compressed/decompressed as needed. That means more work for the GPU, but it doesn't make an enormous difference. 

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

2 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

You missed what I said about "playable settings". When you're at a present where the frame buffer is used up, both cards are getting dragged down. Take a look at this 1440p comparison. 

As you'll see, unless you're running settings where even the 6GB model can't keep 60fps, there is barely a difference. 

PS: I think you'll find the GTA results interesting ;)

All I'm seeing is a bunch of tests at 1440p where the 1060 is more than capable of producing playable framerates at high settings, and VRAM usage is above 3GB, just because the framerate is good doesn't mean it wouldn't be stuttery. Further, the main contributor to VRAM usage (independent of AA and resolution) is texture quality, I bet in a lot of these tests you could lower settings other than texture quality and get a much better experience. Personally unless I was on a 1080p monitor and sure that fact wasn't going to change for the duration I was keeping the card, I would never buy a 3GB 1060. 

I do see your point though, in most cases it doesn't make any sense to buy the higher-tier VRAM card as it would run out of steam settings-wise before you eat up the VRAM, but given how fast the 1060 is I don't think it's a particularly good choice.

I just launched GTA5 at 1440p 2x MSAA Ultra, like I said and it's using over 4GB on my system. Maybe though it uses some kind of pre-fetching system though, so it uses more if it knows you have more, I don't really know.

GTA 5 is rather demanding on the gpu and given the options I would go for the best card you can afford, I went for a gtx 1070 in mine which right now I do wish I just went all in and got the 1080 ti but at that time I was only playing at 1080p and the 1070 plays GTA on max very well, today I'm getting the delivery of my Acer Predator X34A and now I'm thinking of getting the 1080 ti to up the frame rate at max for the 100+ fps, like I say you buy the best card u can afford so the higher gtx 10 series higher ram models will be best, all comes down to 1: how much ur willing to pay and 2: how much u actually have to spend ? If for example u could wait a month and up the price to s 1070 then I would do that 

I7 7700K @5.0ghz, Asus Z270-P, Corsair H115i, hyperX 16gb, Asus duel 1070, Nzxt H440

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/ZTsYD8

20 hours ago, R3ep3r said:

I'd recommend you wait a bit and gather more money and go with 1060 6gb and a R5 1500x.

ohh okay :) thanks

20 hours ago, JoostinOnline said:

People like to crap on the 3GB version, but there is only a 5-10% performance between them, assuming you're running both at playable settings. If you try to run them at settings where neither would get 60fps, then the 3GB version does much worse. If you can, then get the 6GB version though. 

The R5 1400 is good (and the 1200 is okay too), but make sure to pair it with 3200MHz RAM for the best performance. Make sure the motherboard supports that too. 

thanks man

16 hours ago, Cookybiscuit said:

All I'm seeing is a bunch of tests at 1440p where the 1060 is more than capable of producing playable framerates at high settings, and VRAM usage is above 3GB, just because the framerate is good doesn't mean it wouldn't be stuttery

That's exactly what it means.  What do you think causes stuttering if not an uneven framerate?  The highs and lows are pretty close together on the games, for both cards.

Personally unless I was on a 1080p monitor and sure that fact wasn't going to change for the duration I was keeping the card, I would never buy a 3GB 1060.

Do you see the bias here?  You've already assumed that the 3GB version won't work, and because of that benchmarks won't change your mind.

I just launched GTA5 at 1440p 2x MSAA Ultra, like I said and it's using over 4GB on my system. Maybe though it uses some kind of pre-fetching system though, so it uses more if it knows you have more, I don't really know.

As I said, if you have less than 4GB then it will just compress some of the stuff you aren't using, then decompress it later.  That means it adds some extra work, so framerates will be slightly slower.  It doesn't turn into a huge problem until you're like 2-3GB over, because then it's constantly having to manage memory usage.

The 6GB version is DEFINITELY better, but that's mostly due to the additional CUDA cores (10% more, if memory serves correctly), not the extra VRAM.  As long as we're talking about 1080p, I doubt the 6GB version would perform any better in most games if it had 50GB of VRAM.

59 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

That's exactly what it means.  What do you think causes stuttering if not an uneven framerate?  The highs and lows are pretty close together on the games, for both cards.

Do you see the bias here?  You've already assumed that the 3GB version won't work, and because of that benchmarks won't change your mind.

As I said, if you have less than 4GB then it will just compress some of the stuff you aren't using, then decompress it later.  That means it adds some extra work, so framerates will be slightly slower.  It doesn't turn into a huge problem until you're like 2-3GB over, because then it's constantly having to manage memory usage.

The 6GB version is DEFINITELY better, but that's mostly due to the additional CUDA cores (10% more, if memory serves correctly), not the extra VRAM.  As long as we're talking about 1080p, I doubt the 6GB version would perform any better in most games if it had 50GB of VRAM.

Still not worth saving the peanuts in price difference between them in my opinion. At 1080p, sure it would probably be fine, at 1440p, I don't fancy it. You also don't mention that most of the tests were run using FXAA, which looks god-awful but does not consume any VRAM. A much more realistic usage scenario at 1440p would be 2x MSAA, or 4x MSAA at 1080p, at that point VRAM usage would increase accordingly in all of the tests. 

I guess it depends on what resolution OP is at, and if he plays any games that require silly amounts of VRAM, like modded Skyrim for example.

52 minutes ago, Cookybiscuit said:

Still not worth saving the peanuts in price difference between them in my opinion. At 1080p, sure it would probably be fine, at 1440p, I don't fancy it. You also don't mention that most of the tests were run using FXAA, which looks god-awful but does not consume any VRAM. A much more realistic usage scenario at 1440p would be 2x MSAA, or 4x MSAA at 1080p, at that point VRAM usage would increase accordingly in all of the tests. 

I guess it depends on what resolution OP is at, and if he plays any games that require silly amounts of VRAM, like modded Skyrim for example.

It's not a 1440p card.  It's designed for 1080p.  And even with MSAA running, the differences would have scaled.  You continue to act like a game will just stop running smoothly if all the VRAM is used.  You also ignored my first question.

20 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

It's not a 1440p card.  It's designed for 1080p.  And even with MSAA running, the differences would have scaled.  You continue to act like a game will just stop running smoothly if all the VRAM is used.  You also ignored my first question.

1060 is more than capable at 1440p, the test you linked proved this. Something like a 1060 would also be totally fine at 4K too in the real world, not every game is ludicrously demanding, and not everyone cares that they'll have to knock the settings down from ultra to a mix of medium/high in some games. Running out of VRAM causes stuttering, you know this much, if or not it would bother someone is another thing.

I'm sorry but I just wouldn't be able to sleep at night with only 3GB of VRAM, it would make me uncomfortable.

14 minutes ago, Cookybiscuit said:

1060 is more than capable at 1440p, the test you linked proved this.

That doesn't mean it's targeted towards 1440p.

Something like a 1060 would also be totally fine at 4K too in the real world,

Well at that point the 3GB version would do very bad.  1080p gaming will almost never push VRAM over 3GB, and it doesn't hurt it if it goes a ~1GB over, at 4K even a 6GB one will be struggling to meet VRAM requirements.  The 3GB one would have to compress everything, and performance would tank.  The 6GB one wouldn't do good either (because of lack of power, not the VRAM) though, so I don't think it matters.

I'm sorry but I just wouldn't be able to sleep at night with only 3GB of VRAM, it would make me uncomfortable.

Meaning you don't understand how VRAM works.  Right now my computer is using all 16GB of my RAM.  If I removed one of the 8GB sticks it would make very little difference.  The extra RAM usage is just cached data, like with VRAM.

The lower CUDA core count is a legitimate reason to not get the 6GB one.  Having unnecessary VRAM isn't.  It's totally fine to not want a GPU, but you should know its actual strengths and weaknesses.

@rookie.wanna.play If you can get the 6GB version if you can.  Graphics card prices kind of suck right now.  Another option would be a used GTX 980, as they have almost identical performance and graphics cards almost never go bad.

5 hours ago, JoostinOnline said:

That doesn't mean it's targeted towards 1440p.

Well at that point the 3GB version would do very bad.  1080p gaming will almost never push VRAM over 3GB, and it doesn't hurt it if it goes a ~1GB over, at 4K even a 6GB one will be struggling to meet VRAM requirements.  The 3GB one would have to compress everything, and performance would tank.  The 6GB one wouldn't do good either (because of lack of power, not the VRAM) though, so I don't think it matters.

Meaning you don't understand how VRAM works.  Right now my computer is using all 16GB of my RAM.  If I removed one of the 8GB sticks it would make very little difference.  The extra RAM usage is just cached data, like with VRAM.

The lower CUDA core count is a legitimate reason to not get the 6GB one.  Having unnecessary VRAM isn't.  It's totally fine to not want a GPU, but you should know its actual strengths and weaknesses.

@rookie.wanna.play If you can get the 6GB version if you can.  Graphics card prices kind of suck right now.  Another option would be a used GTX 980, as they have almost identical performance and graphics cards almost never go bad.

Okay thanks man