Monitor Suggestions for Non-Competitive Gaming

There is a lot of discussions on monitors based on refresh rates and input lag, ppi, etc and it all revolves around gamers who play fps type games, but what about those who don't? What about those who just play MMOs or single player games, do we really need a 144hz monitor with low input lag or can we dive down to something lower without any hindrance? Would like some input, thanks :)  

The only games that really make the extra 100 dollar investment worth it are CS:GO like games that are like solely twitch reflex based or games like Dota and LOL because timing matter's a lot in those games,but unless you play DOTA or LOL competitively it's not worth it.

My life

1 minute ago, JAlmei said:

There is a lot of discussions on monitors based on refresh rates and input lag, ppi, etc and it all revolves around gamers who play fps type games, but what about those who don't? What about those who just play MMOs or single player games, do we really need a 144hz monitor with low input lag or can we dive down to something lower without any hindrance? Would like some input, thanks :)  

While they aren't necessary, they're still really nice to have. To me, seeing your favorite AAA game at high refresh rate being so buttery smooth is just awesome. then again, some people just dont care. 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

Just now, TVwazhere said:

While they aren't necessary, they're still really nice to have. To me, seeing your favorite AAA game at high refresh rate being so buttery smooth is just awesome. then again, some people just dont care. 

Assuming you can run them at 144hz. Which most people can't,

My life

Get some nice 75Hz monitor with Free Sync if you have AMD card and you're set.

54 minutes ago, Himommies said:

Assuming you can run them at 144hz. Which most people can't,

Depends on your video settings and GPU setup. 1 1050ti probably wont hit 144fps, but a 1060 could with med settings in BF1 for example

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

Yyyyyeaaa I'm Nvidia all the way, was debating on making the switch but I've seen some people using freesync monitors with Nvidia GPUs. I noticed one of the ultrawide monitors I wanted was 75hz but wasn't too sure if that would suffice since all I hear about is higher refresh rate for competitive gaming. :P

40 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

Depends on your video settings and GPU setup. 1 1050ti probably wont hit 144fps, but a 1060 could with med settings in BF1 for example

Well atm I'm using a 780 (old I know) but I am working on my next rig and looking into a monitor as well so that's why this topic was brought up and I don't play FPS games unless I have to but its only on console with other friends not online.

15 hours ago, JAlmei said:

Yyyyyeaaa I'm Nvidia all the way, was debating on making the switch but I've seen some people using freesync monitors with Nvidia GPUs. I noticed one of the ultrawide monitors I wanted was 75hz but wasn't too sure if that would suffice since all I hear about is higher refresh rate for competitive gaming. :P

Most people with nvidia GPUs buy monitors with free sync not because they have free sync, but because theyre good monitors in general. Plus if they ever switch to AMD, free feature upgrade! (Nvidia gpu's do not work with Free sync so theres no benefit to two(2) of the exact same monitor, one with free sync and one without, both hooked to a nvidia gpu)