Will M.2 SATA SSD work on a M.2 NVMe slot?

OundercoverO

Hi there guys;

I've recently been given a M.2 2280 Samsung 850 Evo SSD with a SATA III Interface and tried to install it on my new Lenovo Y520 Laptop, which a SSD M.2 2280 PCIe NVMe slot.

I've been unable to get my SSD to work, despise everything i tried. When it comes to computers i know what it's been told in the internet and a little bit more, but i've started to think that the SSD might not be compatible with my NVMe slot, and i need to upgrade to an NVMe one in order to make it work, however they're slightly more expensive and i wouldn't benefit from an NVMe SSD that much.

Is is possible to make a SATA SSD work on a NVMe PCIe slot or am i forced to get a new one in order to make it work?

You will need to look it up in the motherboard and/or laptop's manual/technical specifications.

HAL9000: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x | Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black | 32 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz | Asus X570 Prime Pro | ASUS TUF 3080 Ti | 1 TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus + 1 TB Crucial MX500 + 6 TB WD RED | Corsair HX1000 | be quiet Pure Base 500DX | LG 34UM95 34" 3440x1440

Hydrogen server: Intel i3-10100 | Cryorig M9i | 64 GB Crucial Ballistix 3200MHz DDR4 | Gigabyte B560M-DS3H | 33 TB of storage | Fractal Design Define R5 | unRAID 6.9.2

Carbon server: Fujitsu PRIMERGY RX100 S7p | Xeon E3-1230 v2 | 16 GB DDR3 ECC | 60 GB Corsair SSD & 250 GB Samsung 850 Pro | Intel i340-T4 | ESXi 6.5.1

Big Mac cluster: 2x Raspberry Pi 2 Model B | 1x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B | 2x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+

I have but i cannot find anything relative to that subject, only that the laptop has a PCIe NVMe slot of M.2 SSD's

3 minutes ago, OundercoverO said:

I have but i cannot find anything relative to that subject, only that the laptop has a PCIe NVMe slot of M.2 SSD's

These are the replacement M.2 parts in the service manual.  All of them appear to be NVMe.  I'd suspect that the M.2 is not tied to SATA controller so it may not work.  

I've attached the entire service manual in case you need it.  

Good luck.

Capture.JPG

legion_y520-15ikbn_hmm_201701.pdf

Thanks, it does seem like it is only possible to use NVMe SSD's to this M.2 slot, it's kind of annoying at how little information is available about this subject from Lenovo or the SSD manufacturers honestly.

Just now, OundercoverO said:

Thanks, it does seem like it is only possible to use NVMe SSD's to this M.2 slot, it's kind of annoying at how little information is available about this subject from Lenovo or the SSD manufacturers honestly.

You could try contacting them, but all indications are that it's a NVMe slot only.  

1 minute ago, OundercoverO said:

how little information is available about this subject from Lenovo or the SSD manufacturers honestly.

not the ssd manufacturers fault if Lenovo implemented a non-standard m.2 slot. Lenovo customer support might have a plain answer for you, or you can dig through the bios and look for m.2 mode and see if sata is an option...

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

There is a SATA option that i've set to AHCI, however ssd is still pretty much invisible.

• 2 years later...

You can work it out by just seeing the female port for that.

In sata there are 2 keys (notch) while nvme has 1.

I have seen in predator Helios 300, the same slot can connect to m.2 SATA and m.2 nvme

So if the slot has only one key , so you should be able to connect the both

• 1 year later...

i have a sata m.2 and want to upgrade to a rog strix x570i which is dual mvme can i use my current sata drive in the mvme slot?

On 8/15/2017 at 4:33 PM, OundercoverO said:

There is a SATA option that i've set to AHCI, however ssd is still pretty much invisible.

that's for the sata port a normal SSD are connected to. but you get brackets you can use to connect your m.2 sata there too.