Audio newbie question - Connecting entertainment system speakers to a PC

Euphoria

Hi everyone. So as I mentioned in the title I'm a complete audio newbie, but I am trying to improve my audio setup. I've recently purchased a decent set of headphones and ditched once and for all my crappy gaming headsets, but one thing is still lacking... my speakers.

I've recently quit my job to take care of my father so money is Very tight. I've looked online for some decent speakers that people seem to recommend, but they're all out of my budget. Then it hit me, I have an old-ish DVD/Blu-ray entertainment system in the attic, the player overheated and melted a few years ago, but the speakers are fine, they're definitely not audiophile quality but they're not cheap and nasty either. I got them down and dusted 'em off to look at the connection they use, it's just plain ol' speaker cable, no plug on the end.
So my question is, how can I connect these to a PC, is it even possible? Is there an adapter for speaker cable to 3.5mm plug, or is there anything specific I need to check with the speakers to know if my PC can even drive them?

Any help would be appreciated.

Build: "The Cake Is A Lie" - (Portal 2 Theme)  Wall Mounted (in a ThermalTake Core P8 all sides removed)  Ryzen 5900X • 64GB Team Group Dark Pro (B-Dies) 3600MHz CL16 • ASUS X570-E Gaming • EK Quantum Plexi Monoblock  MSI RTX 3090 Suprim X  EK Quantum Plexi Block  2TB Samsung 980 Pro Gen4 NVME  8TB Samsung 870 QVO  Corsair RM 850X 2x EK P480M Radiators   PrimoChill Fittings  2x D5 Pumps  Monsoon MMRS Pump Housing  2x HeatKiller Tube 200 Reservoirs  

you would need an amplifier.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Is that just to connect them via speaker wire with no plugs, or because a PC mobo wouldn't be able to drive them, or both?

Build: "The Cake Is A Lie" - (Portal 2 Theme)  Wall Mounted (in a ThermalTake Core P8 all sides removed)  Ryzen 5900X • 64GB Team Group Dark Pro (B-Dies) 3600MHz CL16 • ASUS X570-E Gaming • EK Quantum Plexi Monoblock  MSI RTX 3090 Suprim X  EK Quantum Plexi Block  2TB Samsung 980 Pro Gen4 NVME  8TB Samsung 870 QVO  Corsair RM 850X 2x EK P480M Radiators   PrimoChill Fittings  2x D5 Pumps  Monsoon MMRS Pump Housing  2x HeatKiller Tube 200 Reservoirs  

Because the output from the motherboard doesn't output at a suitable level for (passive) speakers. You can physically make an adapter to a 3.5mm jack but it wouldn't help you.

Any specs on the speakers? Either a model number or there should be a basic label near the inputs with impedance suggested amp rating (pictures are good).

11 hours ago, Euphoria said:

Hi everyone. So as I mentioned in the title I'm a complete audio newbie, but I am trying to improve my audio setup. I've recently purchased a decent set of headphones and ditched once and for all my crappy gaming headsets, but one thing is still lacking... my speakers.

I've recently quit my job to take care of my father so money is Very tight. I've looked online for some decent speakers that people seem to recommend, but they're all out of my budget. Then it hit me, I have an old-ish DVD/Blu-ray entertainment system in the attic, the player overheated and melted a few years ago, but the speakers are fine, they're definitely not audiophile quality but they're not cheap and nasty either. I got them down and dusted 'em off to look at the connection they use, it's just plain ol' speaker cable, no plug on the end.
So my question is, how can I connect these to a PC, is it even possible? Is there an adapter for speaker cable to 3.5mm plug, or is there anything specific I need to check with the speakers to know if my PC can even drive them?

Any help would be appreciated.

Craigslist for a cheap AV receiver with the proper inputs.

Thanks for helping ladies/gents.

[Edit] Answered my own question :)

Sorry to bother people, I just want to check I've got this correct and I understand.

Is something like this what users above are referring to: Cheap Amp on Amazon
It has 2 outputs (Left and Right) plus 1 subwoofer output. So, as long as it has the power to drive the speakers, which I believe it does, I just require a 3.5mm to RCA cable (3.5mm connected to my PC mobo, to RCA plugged into the amp, and obviously the speakers and sub connected to the amp outputs. Is that correct??

I know it's a cheapo piece of rubbish, money is tight since quitting my job, so if someone has a recommendation for a better one that isn't too much more that would be helpful.