Computer really slow

Hi there,

I am running the following:

Q9400

8gb ddr2 ram

gtx 660

The problem is its really slow I even installed windows on a new drive and its still very slow, like clicking start can take a few seconds to open etc. 

But I have another pc with a e6300, and its a lot faster than my one above. Which is odd cause it has a better processor etc.

Any idea why?

Thanks

try reseating everything , and check the cpu and gpu temps , and try a different sata port for the drive too just in case.

You have ddr2, a gtx 660, and a Q9400, im not trying to roast you but you have some pretty outdated gear and im not surprised that you it would take a coupe seconds to open anything. 

1 minute ago, HZapperz said:

You have ddr2, a gtx 660, and a Q9400, im not trying to roast you but you have some pretty outdated gear and im not surprised that you it would take a coupe seconds to open anything. 

`yeah but how can a e6300 run it faster than that plus it only as 2gb of ram

6 minutes ago, emosun said:

try reseating everything , and check the cpu and gpu temps , and try a different sata port for the drive too just in case.

ill try different sata port but cpu and gpu r normal. would clearing bios help?

Just now, HZapperz said:

how much power do you think opening the start menu requires? lol. leave it to us 775 enthusiasts

Just now, nzskiing said:

`yeah but how can a e6300 run it faster than that plus it only as 2gb of ram

The 2 gb of ram could be faster, and the e6300 could be in a lot better shape than your q9400, i really hope you have at most windows 7 running on your system. BC if you have anything above that i would be surprised if windows even works

Just now, nzskiing said:

ill try different sata port but cpu and gpu r normal. would clearing bios help?

you can try it if maybe theres some weird overclocking or ram setting that are still being used.

Try a single stick of ram also , try each stick alone in the machine.

Just now, emosun said:

how much power do you think opening the start menu requires? lol. leave it to us 775 enthusiasts

I mean any NEW parts would be able to open the start menu but, based on his specs i'm guessing this build was made 5-7 years ago

Just now, HZapperz said:

The 2 gb of ram could be faster, and the e6300 could be in a lot better shape than your q9400, i really hope you have at most windows 7 running on your system. BC if you have anything above that i would be surprised if windows even works

Yeah I am windows 7, really, i didn't know a q9400 was that bad especially compared to an e6300.

Just now, emosun said:

you can try it if maybe theres some weird overclocking or ram setting that are still being used.

Try a single stick of ram also , try each stick alone in the machine.

Ok ill try :)

Just now, nzskiing said:

Yeah I am windows 7, really, i didn't know a q9400 was that bad especially compared to an e6300.

it's not , It can run anything from xp to 10 just fine. not sure what this other guy is talking about but he most likely has never done it before.

2 minutes ago, HZapperz said:

mean any NEW parts would be able to open the start menu but, based on his specs i'm guessing this build was made 5-7 years ago

more like 10 years for 775 systems , but again , I'm sure you think the start menu might be a super task for older hardware but his machine is significantly faster than most tablets that run windows 10 today.

3 minutes ago, HZapperz said:

Honestly, Windows 10 runs relatively well on one of my E4300 computers with 3GB DDR2. I think a Q9400 with 8gb DDR2 should handle Windows 10 with ease.

4 minutes ago, emosun said:

it's not , It can run anything from xp to 10 just fine. not sure what this other guy is talking about but he most likely has never done it before.

Its old outdated gear, is what im saying. Like you could have the threadripper 1950x but in 10 years it would be almost obsolete bc it would be old and worndown. 

Its old outdated gear, is what im saying. Like you could have the threadripper 1950x but in 10 years it would be almost obsolete bc it would be old and worndown. 

May I refer you to this???

1 minute ago, INTEL_HP_2002 said:

Honestly, Windows 10 runs relatively well on one of my E4300 computers with 3GB DDR2. I think a Q9400 with 8gb DDR2 should handle Windows 10 with ease.

it will , op's even using windows 7 so it'll definitely work fine.

again , I don't think you actually know much about 775 era pc's so , what you're saying is essentially just incorrect.

Thanks for all your comments, I tried the pc with 4gb of ocz memory and it works fine, stick in the other 4 gb of adata ram and its slow as. Seems to be the ram maybe its faulty not sure.

1 hour ago, emosun said:

it will , op's even using windows 7 so it'll definitely work fine.

again , I don't think you actually know much about 775 era pc's so , what you're saying is essentially just incorrect.

Its wierd, the memory i have is ddr 800 but on cpu z its showing as 400mhz? Could that be the problem?

1 minute ago, nzskiing said:

Its wierd, the memory i have is ddr 800 but on cpu z its showing as 400mhz? Could that be the problem?

no that is normal , it'll show exactly half the speed the memory is

Just now, emosun said:

no that is normal , it'll show exactly half the speed the memory is

ah, that's annoying resetting the bios seems to make it go faster, could be just the mobo is old as, and been used as a server before i got it and been used for about 4 years. prob dying lol.

not likely as the OS you're trying to run isn't intensive even for much slower hardware , you most likely have either a problem with the drive/drive controller or the specific build/version of windows is having a conflict of some sort.

does the motherboard have it's correct driver installed or is it using generic windows drivers? is the gpu driver installed?

I think its generic windows drivers. The 660 is running nvidia drivers and gefore experience etc.

7 minutes ago, emosun said:

not likely as the OS you're trying to run isn't intensive even for much slower hardware , you most likely have either a problem with the drive/drive controller or the specific build/version of windows is having a conflict of some sort.

does the motherboard have it's correct driver installed or is it using generic windows drivers? is the gpu driver installed?

I think its generic windows drivers. The 660 is running nvidia drivers and gefore experience etc.

if you 100% uninstall the nvidia driver , does the machine become quicker? obviously there would be no display driver installed but does navigation improve?