New Build Won't Post (im a noob)

Go to solution Solved by Changis,
11 minutes ago, Oddcesarr said:

upon further investigation, the cpu is also not on the support page which leads me to believe I need to update the bios perhaps (which I do not know how to do safely) 

might just have an incompatible board on my hands?????

that could be it.. see if you can return it and get one that supports your cpu and ram (though you might have to change the ram as well.. depends on the new mb's qvl)

or if you're lucky enought to have a friend that has a compatible cpu and ramstick you can borrow for the bios update, you can do that.. there might also be a local computer repair shop that can update the bios for you, just check that the bios updates actually add support for your cpu

Greetings every body, finally decided to build my own computer with the following major components

Motherboard: ASRock A320M-DGS

CPU: Ryzen 3 1300x

Graphics: EVGA GTX 1050 Ti

RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 2400 8GBx1 

PSU: EVGA 500 BQ 

after watching numerous build videos and learning that i should make sure my parts work before installing everything into my case, i did just that and to my surprise i could not get my system to POST

my fans would turn on but i would hear no sort of beep (i dont think the motherboard comes with a speaker for this, no light either)

i reseated the cpu several times and adjusted the pressure on the cooler, i heard this was an issue sometimes, i double checked to make sure all my connections were solid and my ram (tried both slots) and graphics were seated properly as well. The motherboard does include on-board graphics so i tried that output and still nothing. I read my motherboard manual and did the whole clear cmos thing as well and still nothing. I did read a couple reviews on Newegg where i purchssed the motherboard and saw reviews of a couple people receiving theres DOA. I want to try to see if i can get mine to start before i declare it DOA. Could it be that my ram is incompatible? I did try to start it without ram as well and nothing there either. My graphics works on my other computer but i have no way of diagnosing a bad cpu if thats the case. Im lost and need help since i am pretty new to this. I appreciate the replies if any, thanks!

The fans spin? Does the computer stay on or turn off? Do you have your monitor plugged in correctly and set to use the correct input?

I edit my posts a lot.

There is not onboard graphics with the Ryzen 1300X so you won't get any output from the motherboard directly. Definitely make sure it's plugged into the GPU directly.

How long are you waiting after you power it on for anything to happen?

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Turn on the PC and wait. Ryzen PCs take forever until they post for the first time.

-+-+- This is a reminder to clean the dust filters of your PC! -+-+-

Main PC:

Ryzen 5 1600 3.8GHz - RX 570 4GB - 2x8GB DDR4 - ASUS Prime X370-Pro - Shadow Rock 2 - Define S - Seasonic Prime Gold 650W

500GB NVME SSD - 1TB SATA SSD - 1TB HDD - Windows 10 Pro

Dorm PC:

i5 4590 - GTX 960 4GB - 2x4GB DDR3 - ASUS H81M2 - Dark Rock 3 - Define R3 - 250GB SATA SSD - Seasonic S12 430W - Windows 10 Pro - Linux Mint

NAS:

Pentium G4400 - 4GB DDR4 - Fujitsu Esprimo P556 - 250GB SATA SSD - 2 x 4TB NAS HDD - 12V PSU - OpenMediaVault

Laptop:

Dell Latitude E6520 - i5 2430M - 2x4GB DDR3 - 250GB SATA SSD - Windows 10 Pro - Linux Mint

4 minutes ago, Oddcesarr said:

after watching numerous build videos and learning that i should make sure my parts work before installing everything into my case, i did just that and to my surprise i could not get my system to POST

Wait several minutes.  In the mean time, download the latest bios version and be ready to update as soon as you're in the bios.

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x  Board: Asus PRIME X570-P  Ram: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2x8) DDR4-3000  Case: Fractal Design Define S

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070  SSD: HP EX950 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM

PSU: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Platinum 750W  Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S SE-AM4  Monitor: Viotek GFT27DB 27.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz

5 minutes ago, Lurick said:

There is not onboard graphics with the Ryzen 1300X so you won't get any output from the motherboard directly. Definitely make sure it's plugged into the GPU directly.

How long are you waiting after you power it on for anything to happen?

5 or more minutes

had it on for like 15 minutes at one point and still nothing, ive been trying to be pretty patient with it since ive heard ryzen takes a while to start the first time but ive yet to get any signal, it doesnt restart on its own or anything either, ive double checked everything that ive said ive done as well

7 minutes ago, GrayTech said:

Turn on the PC and wait. Ryzen PCs take forever until they post for the first time.

How long did it take for yours to come on? Ive given my system about 15 fifteen minutes on one of my attempts 

27 minutes ago, Oddcesarr said:

Greetings every body, finally decided to build my own computer with the following major components

Motherboard: ASRock A320M-DGS

CPU: Ryzen 3 1300x

Graphics: EVGA GTX 1050 Ti

RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 2400 8GBx1 

PSU: EVGA 500 BQ 

my fans would turn on but i would hear no sort of beep (i dont think the motherboard comes with a speaker for this, no light either)

i reseated the cpu several times and adjusted the pressure on the cooler, i heard this was an issue sometimes, i double checked to make sure all my connections were solid and my ram (tried both slots) and graphics were seated properly as well. The motherboard does include on-board graphics so i tried that output and still nothing. I read my motherboard manual and did the whole clear cmos thing as well and still nothing. I did read a couple reviews on Newegg where i purchssed the motherboard and saw reviews of a couple people receiving theres DOA. I want to try to see if i can get mine to start before i declare it DOA. Could it be that my ram is incompatible? I did try to start it without ram as well and nothing there either. My graphics works on my other computer but i have no way of diagnosing a bad cpu if thats the case. Im lost and need help since i am pretty new to this. I appreciate the replies if any, thanks!

try reseating ram.. make sure they are properly connected

i've seen many who forget to push down both sides of ram sticks, it's an easy thing to miss

Have you tried to perform a sudden temporary interrupt of the electricity flow to your computational device followed by a re-initialization procedure of the central processing unit and associated components?

Personal Rig Specs

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.8GHZ
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z270H GAMING
Graphics Card: Inno3D ICHILL GEFORCE GTX 1080 TI X3 ULTRA
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX Black DDR4 2x8GB @ 3GHZ
Storage: 2 x Samsung NVMe SSD 960 EVO 256GB in Raid | 2 x Seagate 4TB Expansion Desktop 

(seagates are originally external drives removed from casing and installed internally)
PSU: Seasonic Prime Titanium 850W 
Case: Mission SG GGX 3.5 (same as Rosewill Cullinan or Anidees AI Crystal with other stock fans)
Cooling: Kraken X62 for CPU, Corsair H55 with NZXT Kraken G12 for GPU 

Just now, Changis said:

try reseating ram.. make sure they are properly connected

i've seen many who forget to push down both sides of ram sticks, it's an easy thing to miss

I've tried reseating the ram multiple times, made sure both sides clipped in, this motherboard only has a lock on one side so it takes it bit more force to get the ram in and I didn't seat it correctly the first time but every other time after that I got it in the right way and tried both ram slots as well, so I'm starting to wonder if the ram is incompatible, if the motherboard is DOA, or if the processor is bad as well

2 minutes ago, Oddcesarr said:

I've tried reseating the ram multiple times, made sure both sides clipped in, this motherboard only has a lock on one side so it takes it bit more force to get the ram in and I didn't seat it correctly the first time but every other time after that I got it in the right way and tried both ram slots as well, so I'm starting to wonder if the ram is incompatible, if the motherboard is DOA, or if the processor is bad as well

your motherboards manual should list ram sticks that are compatible with the board.. ram not listed might work, but it has not been tested by the manufacturer..

check your memory's model number against the QVL (Qualified Vendor List)

and just to double check since you say you are a beginner builder, so don't take them the wrong way, but you are 100% sure there are no loose screw lying around and you have used standoffs between the case and MB?

if you remove harddrives and everything except cpu, ram, gpu and psu and front panel buttons/lights (temporarily remove usb/audio connections as well) from the motherboard, does it manage to post?

Have you tried to perform a sudden temporary interrupt of the electricity flow to your computational device followed by a re-initialization procedure of the central processing unit and associated components?

Personal Rig Specs

Spoiler

Storage: 2 x Samsung NVMe SSD 960 EVO 256GB in Raid | 2 x Seagate 4TB Expansion Desktop 

(seagates are originally external drives removed from casing and installed internally)
Case: Mission SG GGX 3.5 (same as Rosewill Cullinan or Anidees AI Crystal with other stock fans)

5 minutes ago, Changis said:

your motherboards manual should list ram sticks that are compatible with the board.. ram not listed might work, but it has not been tested by the manufacturer..

check your memory's model number against the QVL (Qualified Vendor List)

and just to double check since you say you are a beginner builder, so don't take them the wrong way, but you are 100% sure there are no loose screw lying around and you have used standoffs between the case and MB?

if you remove harddrives and everything except cpu, ram, gpu and psu and front panel buttons/lights (temporarily remove usb/audio connections as well) from the motherboard, does it manage to post?

I have not attempted to post with the case installed in the case, I did so before installing the motherboard in the case, the only things connected were the cpu, cpu fan, psu, graphics, ram, and front panel power switch

I could not find my ram on the support list so maybe thats it?

2 minutes ago, Oddcesarr said:

I have not attempted to post with the case installed in the case, I did so before installing the motherboard in the case, the only things connected were the cpu, cpu fan, psu, graphics, ram, and front panel power switch

I could not find my ram on the support list so maybe thats it?

right.. you said in your OP :P sometimes troubleshooting goes a bit fast (but better to ask one time to many than one time to little ;) )

that might be it.. best way is to test with known working or brand new ram listed as compatible in the qvl

Personal Rig Specs

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Changis said:

right.. you said in your OP :P sometimes troubleshooting goes a bit fast (but better to ask one time to many than one time to little ;) )

that might be it.. best way is to test with known working or brand new ram listed as compatible in the qvl

upon further investigation, the cpu is also not on the support page which leads me to believe I need to update the bios perhaps (which I do not know how to do safely) 

11 minutes ago, Oddcesarr said:

that could be it.. see if you can return it and get one that supports your cpu and ram (though you might have to change the ram as well.. depends on the new mb's qvl)

or if you're lucky enought to have a friend that has a compatible cpu and ramstick you can borrow for the bios update, you can do that.. there might also be a local computer repair shop that can update the bios for you, just check that the bios updates actually add support for your cpu

Personal Rig Specs

Spoiler