USB ports stop working when installing Windows 7

WoodChuckers

Hello community, i have recently built my brother a computer system and currently trying to install windows 7. However once i get to the screen where to choose language my keyboard and mouse stop working. I tried swicthing the ports making sure they are in usb 2.0 but no luck. I updated the bios to the latest version and still no luck. Anyone have any idea on what to do?

My build:

Amd Ryzen 1300x

Corsair vengence 16gb DDR4 3200

MSI B350 Bazooka AM4 

Sandisk 120GB SSD

Seagate Baracudda 1TB

Corsair CX series 550 watt bronze

Asus Dual gtx 1060 6GB

*also trying to install windows through cd*

Ryzen doesn't support Windows 7, so the microcode in the MB is also going to have compatibility issues. Get Windows 10 or a different PC architecture.

why would you not use windows 10 on a new PC? it is a good OS and you can get it for 30 bucks on certain sites

You need to add the USB drivers to the W7 setup so you can use them.

Or use PS/2, that always works.

If you need some help with it, send me a PM, i've installed W7 on a ryzen system before :P

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

14 minutes ago, Ryujin2003 said:

Ryzen doesn't support Windows 7, so the microcode in the MB is also going to have compatibility issues. Get Windows 10 or a different PC architecture.

Ryzen doesn't officially support Windows 7... but then it sort of does, too. AMD said before Ryzen's release that Ryzen is fully compatible with Windows 7, but then said that they aren't supporting Windows 7 - meaning, they aren't going to release any official drivers for it. But then, they don't need to, because it already is fully compatible with Windows 7.

samcool55 is right in saying that USB drivers need to be added to the Windows 7 installer. If the system only has USB 3.X, then drivers need to be added. If the system has a USB 2.0 port, then that post can be used to install Windows 7 without first added USB 3.0 drivers.

12 hours ago, Delicieuxz said:

Like Mooshi mentioned, that message appears when you're trying to install Windows 7 via USB 3.0 without having first slip-streamed USB 3.0 drivers into the Windows 7 installer.

Windows 7 doesn't natively have drivers for USB 3.0, but you can add them to the installation media. One of these links can help you out:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25476/Windows-7-USB-3-0-Creator-Utility

http://winaero.com/blog/how-to-install-windows-7-on-a-pc-with-only-usb-3-0-ports/

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

Oh yea, if you want to go the W7 route with Ryzen, use this: https://github.com/zeffy/wufuc/releases/tag/v0.7.1.81

It took my system 3-4 months until it started complaining about unsupported hardware crap, installed this and it's still updating today :P

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

The reason i wanted to install win 7 is because i had a one more use of a win7 product key left. Plus i was never a fan of win 10. But do you guys think it would just be easier to spend the extra cash and just install win 10?

3 hours ago, samcool55 said:

You need to add the USB drivers to the W7 setup so you can use them.

Or use PS/2, that always works.

If you need some help with it, send me a PM, i've installed W7 on a ryzen system before :P

Yep, I guess a W7 without a service packs that does not have the USB drivers.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

2 hours ago, Ithanul said:

Yep, I guess a W7 without a service packs that does not have the USB drivers.

So how would i go about installing the usb drivers?

4 hours ago, WoodChuckers said:

So how would i go about installing the usb drivers?

I put that information in my above post.

Also, you should make sure that you're starting with an ISO that has Service Pack 1 already included. You can get the official Windows 7 ISOs from here: http://mirror.corenoc.de/digitalrivercontent.net/

If you want 64-bit English Windows 7 Professional, it would be the one labelled en_windows_7_professional_with_sp1_x64_dvd_621750.iso.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

Hey Guys I ended up just purchasing a windows 10 product key and download windows 10 on the PC. IT was easier and probably better that way. Thanks for your guys help and input though.