My First Build.

CAFFR3Y

Hi Everyone,

In the middle of saving for my first build and wanted to post up on the forum to get some advice! What I am looking to buy at the moment is:

Corsair Carbide 500r

Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD

Samsung 24x DVD-RW

Corsair TX650 v2

Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600MHz

i5-3570k

Asus P8Z77-V LK

MSI GTX 660 Ti PE

Any tips or advice on what components that I could change or add to make my system better would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

CAFFR3Y

Get a solid-state drive; I recommend the Samsung 840 Pro with 128GB.

You may consider upgrading to a GTX 670, which is pretty much the best value for money nvidia card; or the HD 7950 which is the best value for money high-end Nvidia card.

Get a solid-state drive; I recommend the Samsung 840 Pro with 128GB. You may consider upgrading to a GTX 670' date=' which is pretty much the best value for money nvidia card; or the HD 7950 which is the best value for money high-end Nvidia card. [/quote']

I was considering the SSD, but I am trying to keep withing a budget.. Is the SSD really a big difference??

Yes, SSDs make a HUGE difference! You should get a 128GB SSD at least to install Windows on and a few programs, you won't believe how snappy it is. Also, a 7950 is around the same price as the 660Ti and it performs a lot better, you might want to look into getting one of those.

If I'm going to buy an SSD I'll probably go with the Samsung 840 120GB.. Thanks for your help!

Yeah SSD is a massive improvement.

Just letting you know, the Samsung 840 has only a 130mbps write speed.

You will be able to load game files, start up programs, start Windows, etc. quickly.

However, if you need to render, save files, etc. it will be only slightly faster than a HDD.

The Samsung 840 Pro has write speeds 4x that, but it costs more. This is why the Samsung 840 (regular) is cheaper.

Ok.. Thanks for that, I'll look into it.!

Off memory, I believe the Samsung 830 is only $10 more expensive than the 840 and has the same read speeds with nearly three times the write speeds.

It also has 8GB more storage capacity.

Just trying to help, but I would definitely recommend it man.