Re-purpose PC for home NAS

Hey, I'm looking to re-purpose a PC for use as a NAS and I was curious what I would need and if the parts I currently have are any good for use as a NAS. Also, if anyone could suggest a good NAS PC case that has hot-swap bays that supports microATX boards since that's what I'm working on atm and I'd like to keep the budget as low as possible and replace as few parts as possible.

Here's the build I have:

AMD a10 7860K APU (I have a lower power APU to replace this one since I don't need the higher end graphics, both came with the system)

AsRock micro ATX mobo

8 GB ddr3 RAM (1 stick)

450W PSU

2 500 GB HDD which I plan on replacing with NAS drives.

thanks!

2 minutes ago, SaltanSupreme said:

Hey, I'm looking to re-purpose a PC for use as a NAS and I was curious what I would need and if the parts I currently have are any good for use as a NAS. Also, if anyone could suggest a good NAS PC case that has hot-swap bays that supports microATX boards since that's what I'm working on atm and I'd like to keep the budget as low as possible and replace as few parts as possible.

Here's the build I have:

AMD a10 7860K APU (I have a lower power APU to replace this one since I don't need the higher end graphics, both came with the system)

AsRock micro ATX mobo

8 GB ddr3 RAM (1 stick)

450W PSU

2 500 GB HDD which I plan on replacing with NAS drives.

thanks!

should be fine

CPU: Intel9-9900k 5.0GHz at 1.36v  | Cooling: Custom Loop | MOTHERBOARD: ASUS ROG Z370 Maximus X Hero | RAM: CORSAIR 32GB DDR4-3200 VENGEANCE PRO RGB  | GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080Ti | PSU: CORSAIR RM850X + Cablemod modflex white cables | BOOT DRIVE: 250GB SSD Samsung 850 evo | STORAGE: 7.75TB | CASE: Fractal Design Define R6 BLackout | Display: SAMSUNG OLED 34 UW | Keyboard: HyperX Alloy elite RGB |  Mouse: Corsair M65 PRO RGB | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Phone: iPhone 11 Pro Max 256GB

yup. did that myself with an old-ish lenovo tower. installed a 3 bay 3.5" HDD actively cooled add-on where the 5.25" optical drives resided (had to saw the support beam out), and since i didn't have the original drive cage for the HDD i just shoved the 4th drive into the original cage kiddy-wompus. added a 2-port intel 1GB NIC for failover, and installed FreeNAS on three kingston USB drives in a mirror configuration and never looked back. thing has run 24/7 for pretty much a year straight.

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

If it's just going to be for home, it sounds good enough to me. Have you thought of which RAID array you're going to use for your system? 

"The only thing that matters right now is that you're here, and you're safe."

Just now, Hiitchy said:

If it's just going to be for home, it sounds good enough to me. Have you thought of which RAID array you're going to use for your system? 

Probably RAID 1 or RAID 5, it's mostly for movies and games storage, maybe some overflow files

Just now, SaltanSupreme said:

Probably RAID 1 or RAID 5, it's mostly for movies and games storage, maybe some overflow files

I was thinking of doing RAID 5 for the same idea, but if I were to get a 4TB drive, I'd have to get another 4TB so it could mirror the same files on another drive right?

"The only thing that matters right now is that you're here, and you're safe."

That's more than enough for a home NAS. You don't even really need NAS drives. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

Just now, SaltanSupreme said:

not with two drives will you do a RAID5. you're looking at RAID 1 or 0. RAID 1 will get you half the total capacity with a single drive failure before catastrophe, and 0 will get you full capacity with no protection whatsoever.

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

14 minutes ago, knightslugger said:

not with two drives will you do a RAID5. you're looking at RAID 1 or 0. RAID 1 will get you half the total capacity with a single drive failure before catastrophe, and 0 will get you full capacity with no protection whatsoever.

I would add more drives lol for RAID 5 it depends on my budget at the time which I'd go with. i need new drives either way since they aren't exact matches in the system I have presently

4 minutes ago, SaltanSupreme said:

I would add more drives lol for RAID 5 it depends on my budget at the time which I'd go with. i need new drives either way since they aren't exact matches in the system I have presently

IMO (and MO only) ZFS is a better way to do it. If this is for non-essential files RAIDz1 will be fine, but for files you would hang yourself for if you lost them (metaphorically speaking), i recommend RAIDz2 at a minimum.

System specs:

Mine is built out of a mish mash of parts, including the old motherboard to my 2500k workstation from once upon a time.  the idea is sound.

Hey so I've set up a couple NAS systems with older hardware without any issues (It used to be an Athlon x64 Dual Core with 4GB and I just upgraded to an FX8120 with 16GB of RAM). I use FreeNAS (11) and it's pretty easy to do. I don't use RAID since it's 1 of 4 redundancies I have of my data (so it's not a big deal if a drive fails) and it reduces chances of complications. I have the OS on a USB stick and set up a 2TB drive, a 320GB drive and a 250GB drive. The 2TB drive is set up as a basic Windows SMB share and holds my personal data, the 320GB drive has it's own SMB share that functions as a guest drive so I can share things with people without giving out my password, and the 250GB drive contains a Ubuntu VM for messing around with stuff before I try it out on a real system. I also will be adding another drive with PLEX media at some point as a remote media server. If you want to access the NAS remotely (over the internet) I found the easiest solution is to set up a VPN into your network, connect to it, then just use the NAS as if you were local.

Anyway, if your goal is just a basic NAS you don't really need to bother with RAID or anything fancy (this shouldn't be your only backup anyway). I just set up each drive as it's own share/Dataset and map the drives to my PCs so they function like a basic network HD as far as my PCs can tell. Even with one of the drives being an old IDE I still get Gb transfer speeds most of the time since the ZFS works really well by caching the data to the RAM so no bottlenecks appear (unless I'm transferring huge amount of data and the RAM gets filled up and can't dump to disk fast enough.) I might even add a space 32GB SSD I have laying around as a cache for the main SMB share to help with larger data transfers.

Primary PC-

CPU: Intel i7-6800k @ 4.2-4.4Ghz   CPU COOLER: Bequiet Dark Rock Pro 4   MOBO: MSI X99A SLI Plus   RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX quad-channel DDR4-2800  GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 SC2 iCX   PSU: Corsair RM1000i   CASE: Corsair 750D Obsidian   SSDs: 500GB Samsung 960 Evo + 256GB Samsung 850 Pro   HDDs: Toshiba 3TB + Seagate 1TB   Monitors: Acer Predator XB271HUC 27" 2560x1440 (165Hz G-Sync)  +  LG 29UM57 29" 2560x1080   OS: Windows 10 Pro

Album

Other Systems:

Spoiler

Home HTPC/NAS-

CPU: AMD FX-8320 @ 4.4Ghz  MOBO: Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3   RAM: 16GB dual-channel DDR3-1600  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 760 OC   PSU: Rosewill 750W   CASE: Antec Gaming One   SSD: 120GB PNY CS1311   HDDs: WD Red 3TB + WD 320GB   Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 2693HM 26" 1920x1200 -or- Steam Link to Vizio M43C1 43" 4K TV  OS: Windows 10 Pro

Offsite NAS/VM Server-

CPU: 2x Xeon E5645 (12-core)  Model: Dell PowerEdge T610  RAM: 16GB DDR3-1333  PSUs: 2x 570W  SSDs: 8GB Kingston Boot FD + 32GB Sandisk Cache SSD   HDDs: WD Red 4TB + Seagate 2TB + Seagate 320GB   OS: FreeNAS 11+

Laptop-

CPU: Intel i7-3520M   Model: Dell Latitude E6530   RAM: 8GB dual-channel DDR3-1600  GPU: Nvidia NVS 5200M   SSD: 240GB TeamGroup L5   HDD: WD Black 320GB   Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 2693HM 26" 1920x1200   OS: Windows 10 Pro

Having issues with a Corsair AIO? Possible fix here:

Spoiler

Are you getting weird fan behavior, speed fluctuations, and/or other issues with Link?

Are you running AIDA64, HWinfo, CAM, or HWmonitor? (ASUS suite & other monitoring software often have the same issue.)

Corsair Link has problems with some monitoring software so you may have to change some settings to get them to work smoothly.

-For AIDA64: First make sure you have the newest update installed, then, go to Preferences>Stability and make sure the "Corsair Link sensor support" box is checked and make sure the "Asetek LC sensor support" box is UNchecked.

-For HWinfo: manually disable all monitoring of the AIO sensors/components.

-For others: Disable any monitoring of Corsair AIO sensors.

That should fix the fan issue for some Corsair AIOs (H80i GT/v2, H110i GTX/H115i, H100i GTX and others made by Asetek). The problem is bad coding in Link that fights for AIO control with other programs. You can test if this worked by setting the fan speed in Link to 100%, if it doesn't fluctuate you are set and can change the curve to whatever. If that doesn't work or you're still having other issues then you probably still have a monitoring software interfering with the AIO/Link communications, find what it is and disable it.