Backup to Google Drive disabled by admin and no OS updates??

Bought a new Android LG G6 (I am not debating brand, model, etc. in this thread) phone through T-Mobile.  After running through the initial setup and installing basic applications, I notice that under the backup and reset settings, there's four items:

Backup to Google: (ON/off)

Backup Account: my email/username

Google Account

Backup only on wifi (OFF/on)

If I go into 'Google Account' it lists a single entry, 'Backup to Google Drive', which is grayed out and has a subtext 'disabled by your admin'.

I read a couple forums on it, tried deleting data/cache from the Drive app, clearing security credentials, no change.  This is not a corporate phone, there are no specialty security policies on it that are out of my control.  There's a few forum posts on this with no solutions.

I chatted with the phone OEM, they had no idea.  I spoke to T-Mobile, and the person I spoke to said they had the same phone.  I was one software version behind, and he did not have the 'Google Account' option even listed in the backup menu.  However, on telling the phone to check for updates, it says I'm current.  All of my Google information came over to the new phone.  It took some time, but there are no apparent issues.  I have verified that I have not seen a backup for the new phone appear in Google Drive.  Google Drive does have Storage permission.

I'll be chatting with T-Mobile again about this when I have a moment (which I will go ahead and say have been the most helpful cellular provider I've ever been with), but has anyone else encountered this issue?

On 7/25/2017 at 9:26 AM, PineyCreek said:

Bought a new Android LG G6 (I am not debating brand, model, etc. in this thread) phone through T-Mobile.  After running through the initial setup and installing basic applications, I notice that under the backup and reset settings, there's four items:

Backup to Google: (ON/off)

Backup Account: my email/username

Google Account

Backup only on wifi (OFF/on)

If I go into 'Google Account' it lists a single entry, 'Backup to Google Drive', which is grayed out and has a subtext 'disabled by your admin'.

I read a couple forums on it, tried deleting data/cache from the Drive app, clearing security credentials, no change.  This is not a corporate phone, there are no specialty security policies on it that are out of my control.  There's a few forum posts on this with no solutions.

I chatted with the phone OEM, they had no idea.  I spoke to T-Mobile, and the person I spoke to said they had the same phone.  I was one software version behind, and he did not have the 'Google Account' option even listed in the backup menu.  However, on telling the phone to check for updates, it says I'm current.  All of my Google information came over to the new phone.  It took some time, but there are no apparent issues.  I have verified that I have not seen a backup for the new phone appear in Google Drive.  Google Drive does have Storage permission.

I'll be chatting with T-Mobile again about this when I have a moment (which I will go ahead and say have been the most helpful cellular provider I've ever been with), but has anyone else encountered this issue?

Yeah, I have a 1+1 running on a Nougat ROM and have the same problem. From what I've heard, this issue pertains to nougat ROMs only and does not seem to affect devices running marshmallow and below. I have not seen the "Google Account" option in the Back and Restore Menu on any marshmallow or Lollipop ROM. Anyways, yeah I'm curious as to how the Google Drive Support Team is going to fix this issue. 

On 7/27/2017 at 1:43 PM, BigTurboSkipper said:

Yeah, I have a 1+1 running on a Nougat ROM and have the same problem. From what I've heard, this issue pertains to nougat ROMs only and does not seem to affect devices running marshmallow and below. I have not seen the "Google Account" option in the Back and Restore Menu on any marshmallow or Lollipop ROM. Anyways, yeah I'm curious as to how the Google Drive Support Team is going to fix this issue. 

Yeah, the first forum post I saw for it was based on the new OnePlus phone which had the same issue.

An update to my situation, I did get two OS updates installed for the phone finally, but there was no change in regards to the backup option.

I can still manually make a backup and upload it to Drive.  Google is also still syncing all of my settings and app data where applicable.

• 2 weeks later...

Its an issue with Nougat. Google won't fix til Sept. 21 and refuses to say why. I have no backups and need to reset phone now to fix issue. Just spent hour on chat because they will only give phone support to business customers and basically said they're numbskulls without a clue. 

Mine says there are no backups even though backup data us on. 

• 3 weeks later...

I wasn't aware my phone wasn't backing.... Well I thought it was anyway, upon restoring and downloading stuff again... BOOM the whole time this problem was stopping it T_T /sosad