PC gaming dilemma

nuclear465

Hi there! 

I am in the middle of a dilemma, regarding my pc that I built 3 years ago. My pc is incapable of running battlefield 1 even at low settings with everything turned off, because of massive stuttering and frame drops as low as 15 fps.

I have tried everything from clean installation of windows, overclocking cpu, install in ssd, in HDD, in game tweaking, cfg files... You name it. 

My CPU is constantly at 100% while my gpu is around 60-70%. I have seen in a lot of different forums people with the same problem.

Some say to upgrade system to 16 gb ram. Others say to upgrade cpu to an I7. But upgrading my i5 4670k to an I7 4790k is kind of hard because I can't find a used one for cheap. They are still expensive as f***. 

So I was thinking about upgrading motherboard + cpu + RAM and go for a ryzen system and then later buy a new gpu.

Or

Just increase my ram from 8 to 16gb and see if it works. The thing is, if it does not work I will be buying ddr 3 ram for nothing because I will need to upgrade motherboard with ddr 4 ram. 

My system specs:

-msi z87 g45 motherboard 

- i5 4670k oc 4.3ghz

- 8 gb ddr3 1600mhz

- r9 280x

- 1tb hdd

- 120gb ssd. 

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X with Nox Hummer H240 Aura AIO Liquid Cooler; MOBO: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F; GPU: XFX RX 6800 RAM: Viper Steel 16 Gb (2X8) 4400Mhz DDR4; Storage: Adata XPG 512 Gb M.2 NVME SSD + 1 Tb WD Blue HDD + 1 Lexar Tb SSD; Case: Phanteks P350X; PSU: Corsair RM750i 80+ Gold; Monitor: Gigabyte M27Q 1440p @170hz; Headset: Hyper X Cloud Stinger; K&M: CM Storm Quickfire TK & Logitech G502.

Upgrade yor cpu to a ryzen 5 1600. Get some motherboard from asus gigabyte or asrock. Asus is usually a but better. 16 gb of g.skill or corsair ram.

My Rig

CPU - Ryzen 5 1600@3.8ghz          GPU - XFX XXX RX580 8g          Cooler - Arctic Freezer 33 eSports edition green          Motherboard - Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3          Ram -  G.Skill 2x8 Ripjaws 5 2666                   Case - Pahntecs P400s TGE Modded with Green accents          PSU - Seasonic M1211 evo 620w          SSD - Samsung 960 evo 500 GB          HDD - Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm 2tb       

Fans - 2 be quiet SilentWings 3         OS - Windows 10 Home 64-Bit         Cables - Cable Mod Green Cable Extension

Peripherals

Mouse - Logitech G502          Keyboard - k95 Platinum Brown          Headset - Philips SHP9500s + Vmoda Boom Pro          Monitor - LG 29UM69GB

Webcam - USB webcam for Wii Fitness game xD

If you want to save a but getc8gb or ram and then possibly upgrade with another stick of ram later.Also for the ram, dont limit yourself to only g.skill and corsair those are just usually the most popular options.

My Rig

CPU - Ryzen 5 1600@3.8ghz          GPU - XFX XXX RX580 8g          Cooler - Arctic Freezer 33 eSports edition green          Motherboard - Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3          Ram -  G.Skill 2x8 Ripjaws 5 2666                   Case - Pahntecs P400s TGE Modded with Green accents          PSU - Seasonic M1211 evo 620w          SSD - Samsung 960 evo 500 GB          HDD - Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm 2tb       

Fans - 2 be quiet SilentWings 3         OS - Windows 10 Home 64-Bit         Cables - Cable Mod Green Cable Extension

Peripherals

Mouse - Logitech G502          Keyboard - k95 Platinum Brown          Headset - Philips SHP9500s + Vmoda Boom Pro          Monitor - LG 29UM69GB

Webcam - USB webcam for Wii Fitness game xD

8 minutes ago, Vandorlot said:

Upgrade yor cpu to a ryzen 5 1600. Get some motherboard from asus gigabyte or asrock. Asus is usually a but better. 16 gb of g.skill or corsair ram.

Nah OP's i5 should still be fine for a long time. 

Try reinstalling Windows if it's not too much of a hassle. Your 280x should give roughly the performance of a PS4 so you should get like 30 FPS at high settings... 

Are you sure it's utilising your 280x and not internal GPU? Do you have GPU drivers installed?

That's an F in the profile pic

Lol. The ram is most likely not the problem. Upgrade to Ryzen. 

36 minutes ago, Froody129 said:

Nah OP's i5 should still be fine for a long time. 

Try reinstalling Windows if it's not too much of a hassle. Your 280x should give roughly the performance of a PS4 so you should get like 30 FPS at high settings... 

Are you sure it's utilising your 280x and not internal GPU? Do you have GPU drivers installed?

The 280x is way more powerful than the gpu in the PS4. It's like comparing a Camaro to a Kia.

Is it possible your overclock is too much and your cpu is throttling? Because that's hard to understand such poor performance with a PC that powerful.

51 minutes ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

Is it possible your overclock is too much and your cpu is throttling? Because that's hard to understand such poor performance with a PC that powerful.

My cpu is not throttling. Is tested it and the temperature is fine. I have a good cooler 

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X with Nox Hummer H240 Aura AIO Liquid Cooler; MOBO: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F; GPU: XFX RX 6800 RAM: Viper Steel 16 Gb (2X8) 4400Mhz DDR4; Storage: Adata XPG 512 Gb M.2 NVME SSD + 1 Tb WD Blue HDD + 1 Lexar Tb SSD; Case: Phanteks P350X; PSU: Corsair RM750i 80+ Gold; Monitor: Gigabyte M27Q 1440p @170hz; Headset: Hyper X Cloud Stinger; K&M: CM Storm Quickfire TK & Logitech G502.

1 hour ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

The 280x is way more powerful than the gpu in the PS4. It's like comparing a Camaro to a Kia.

Yeah. Lol. I play on medium to high settings 70-80 fps average. Just because of the cpu is at 100% it drops massively to 15-30 fps. 

So the Ram upgrade helps, a lot in fact. The drops are significantly reduced and you can OC your CPU a little bit more. BUT I would change to the Ryzen System with a 1600, even though it would be a bit overkill for your GPU, just because Battlefield loves CPU cores (it won't help you THAT much tho) and I think you would see a lot of benefits in most other tasks as well. 

i5 6500 @3.2Ghz, Zotac GTX 1080 Ti Mini, 16GB DDR4 @2400Mhz, 240GB SSD, 1TB HDD, Corsair Vengance 650W, Asus Z170 Pro Gaming, Thermaltake Versa U21, Hyper 103

AOC Agon AG271UG 27" 4k G-Sync, G933, G502, G801