5 Ways to Watch 4K Content on the PC

1 hour ago, JinnGonQui said:

What is the model of the Pioneer drive used in the video? Am I simply dense? ... or 18 months later, there is still no definitive custom-built-PC Windows-10 hardware-software-combination-solution to play my UltraHD Blu-rays? ... I can't seem to find in this forum (nor the YouTube comments), what model of Pioneer that was ... and if in present-day it could work on a non-NUC. I mostly-understand all of the technical crap that has to align, and that there appears to be no galactic alignment conjunction in sight. This is such garbage on the part of content protectors ... yes, protecting their works is legitimate ... how they are doing it is assinine! ... just plug in a SATA-BD, launch a valid software-player, plug into a valid display-device. Simple, right ???

BDR-211UBK. Comes with powerDVD14 which can do UHD.

On 7/19/2017 at 12:01 PM, The Angry Computersmasher said:

>Every single mention of DRM

*groans* Yuck. Digital restrictions management is disgusting. And sadly it's here in 4K.

Yup, and sadly it's going to (once again) harm the consumer more than it harms those who acquire the content illegally. And yet the entertainment industry wonders why people don't buy content as much anymore. Hmmm gee, I couldn't tell you why.... nope.

https://www.techhive.com/article/2881620/4k-content-protection-will-frustrate-consumers-more-than-pirates-meet-hdcp-22.html

On 7/19/2017 at 12:03 PM, HunterSkater429 said:

$25 PS3 bro. Way better 

PS3 can't play 4K UHD discs, nor can it output 4K video...

On 7/19/2017 at 12:06 PM, MooseCheese said:

I never knew how awful the DRM was for 4K content. I was surprised when you mentioned 4K Netflix was only going to work with 7th Gen Intel CPUs on the WAN Show a while back and even thought I may have misunderstood. Has this been the case since 4K Netflix was introduced? And does anyone know whether Ryzen is compatible?

As for needing an approved monitor for 4K Blu-Rays, that really is ridiculous!

Great video as ever though :)

On 7/19/2017 at 4:16 PM, Shanebenswim said:

Can I get 4k Netflix if I don't have a kaby lake cpu, but have a 1070 graphics card?

On 7/19/2017 at 10:52 PM, Kumaresh said:

I'm confused as fuck after watching the video. I currently own an i7 6700k and am planning to buy either a 1080 Ti or RX Vega, or even wait for Volta. I live in India. If I wanted to access legitimate 4K content, how much would I have to pay ? Also, I have a potato internet of about 4 Mbps.

You need a 7th gen or newer Intel CPU that also has Intel's integrated graphics to watch 4K Netflix. Why? Well, it's definitely not that older hardware is incapable - my i7-4790K plays the 4K Big Buck Bunny H265 encoded file no problem. It's gotta be 100% a software limitation imposed by Intel & Hollywood on purpose. If your hardware doesn't have "the stuff" then the software artificially limits your ability to play the content.

On 7/19/2017 at 11:31 PM, Zodiark1593 said:

Honestly, I was somewhat surprised and disappointed that Linus didn't take the opportunity to completely blast producers and vendors over this stupid mess of DRM they tried to throw onto PC. 

Regular Blu Ray is a pain in the ass already. These hardware DRM restrictions (it's certainly not performance, nor even lacking decode hardware in some GPUs) are asanine, grossly anti-consumer, and should die in the hellfire where it belongs. 

Me too, but at the same time that may come out in a later video. The entertainment industry is so far out of touch with the consumer it's not funny... well, I mean, I find it funny, but they're the ones who are losing money over it.

On 7/28/2017 at 11:10 AM, dalekphalm said:

Don't know if you read the whole thread or not, but the short answer is: no.

As of right now, you cannot rip a 4K UHD Blu-Ray onto your computer. The Pioneer UHD Drive featured in the video will be able to read, and play, the movie. But at this moment in time there is no known method to break the new HDCP 2.0 encryption used by UHD Blu-Rays.

The only possible method at the moment involves playing the movie over HDMI, and using something like a specialized splitter to strip out the HDCP encryption, and then use an HDMI capture card to actually record the movie in real time.

This may or may not only be possible in 1080p also (not confirmed).

In short, if you want to buy UHD Blu-Rays due to awesome quality (far superior to any 4K streaming content), sure go for it. But if you want to keep a rip on your media server, buy a 1080p Blu-Ray instead.

Can confirm; answer is and will be no, at least until someone other than Fentago Software steps in. They've noted that they will NOT be offering software that can break the AACS 2.0 encryption / HDCP 2.2 standard that all new 4K UHD movies will be / are using. Instead, consumers will once again be limited to watching content they have a legally purchase license for only on device that the licensee chooses to support. This is unfortunately, as it will only drive more people to acquire content from less scrupulous sources, or straight up not experience the content at all - both of which result in less profit for the content creators.

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/377172-DVDFab-Announces-no-AACS-2-0-decryption-to-crack-the-next-gen-4K-UHD-Blu-ra

ATTN ENTERTAINMENT INDUSTRY: Consumers are (mostly) willing to pay for your hard work creating the music, movies, and TV shows you make. However, in the ever connected digital age of 2018, consumers don't care about licensing or device restrictions - they want to consume content they've purchased a license for on any device, from anywhere in the world, as the license is tied to the purchaser, and not the device or country the content is bought from. Until the industry learns to cater to their customers properly, this battle will never end.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

• 5 weeks later...
On 12/29/2018 at 4:20 PM, Rune said:

BDR-211UBK. Comes with powerDVD14 which can do UHD.

So, the BDR-211UBK can be used in a computer with an i7-7xxx CPU (or newer, already in the current build) and an RTX-2080-Ti GPU (already in the current build), and the PowerDVD14 (or newer, already in the current build) ... and it will play https://www.amazon.com/Blade-Runner-2049-UHD-Blu-ray/dp/B075DQGW92/ref=tmm_frk_title_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1548792444&sr=1-5 on a Samsung 4K UHD HDR TV via HDMI -- in all its uber-glory .... right ?

VR Snob ... looking for ultimate full-power full-portable no-compromise VR Box ... Streacom's DA2 starting to look good ...

16 minutes ago, JinnGonQui said:

So, the BDR-211UBK can be used in a computer with an i7-7xxx CPU (or newer, already in the current build) and an RTX-2080-Ti GPU (already in the current build), and the PowerDVD14 (or newer, already in the current build) ... and it will play https://www.amazon.com/Blade-Runner-2049-UHD-Blu-ray/dp/B075DQGW92/ref=tmm_frk_title_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1548792444&sr=1-5 on a Samsung 4K UHD HDR TV via HDMI -- in all its uber-glory .... right ?

Yes, that should be correct.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/29/2019 at 1:33 PM, dalekphalm said:

Yes, that should be correct.

Rad! Thanks!

VR Snob ... looking for ultimate full-power full-portable no-compromise VR Box ... Streacom's DA2 starting to look good ...

5 hours ago, JinnGonQui said:

Rad! Thanks!

Make sure you get the correct version of PowerDVD. The Blu-Ray player itself often comes with the software for free, but if not, you'll need to compare versions. I believe the "Ultra" version has UHD support.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)