HP Envy 13" Better than Macbook for £1000???

Background

Coming from a laptop that was as thick as a Nokia Brick, I was looking to get a new laptop for my new adventure into University this September.

So I was basically coming from a laptop with the following specs:

• Intel Pentium T4400 - Utter Crap
  • 3Gb of RAM - Utter Crap
  • 1024 x 768 15" screen
  • Basically no battery

Looks

Unboxing this was a dream!

Trying to contain myself by opening the charger, which got me even hyped! The charger was HP's new sleek "HP fast charge" adaptor - that had a small glossy brick.

Getting to the laptop itself and taking the plastic wrapping off revealed the all metal build HP Envy 13.

This laptop was a stunner! (which looks like it says 'lip')

Opening the laptop leveals the glossy QHD Screen in a gloss finish, and also a trackpad that was way bigger than my old one (around iphone 6 size trackpad).

And looking at the back shows the best part, the metal strip on the lid that when lifted, pushes down on the table to provide greater clearance beneath to allow the thin laptop some air to breath.

Only criticism is that the laptop resembles Apple's Macbook line up, or Macbook Air, whatever who cares about Macbooks! lol

Screen

The screen was amazing!  Before buying the laptop I did some research on the QHD screen on a 13 inch laptop and saw that many people didn't see the point in it.

However I did! In the windows settings when set on the QHD resolution it was so crispy, and when set on 1080p it was noticeable and ruined the experiance.

The gloss finish on the laptop seemed okay at first but when sitting directly opposite a window the reflection was somewhat annoying.

The bezels on the Envy seem large at first, however being the weird person I am, I like it! When trying the Dell XPS 13 out prior to buying this laptop I found that the bezels being so thin was a distraction.

Keyboard

BEST KEYBOARD EVER!

The keys were perfect! From the keytravel to the spacing all was perfect. The function keys took a bit of getting used to and the half size keys of the up & down arrow keys.

Battery Life

This is when it gets a little bad. During the day when browsing the web, some coding and some SSH'ing I was getting around 6 hours out of it. I don't know if this is what is expected, someone let me know! Lets hope it lasts during University lol

After 2 Weeks

I kind of noticed at the start when using the laptop, that it wouldn't sit level on my table, nor any other table. So I reached out to HP which told me "Why the hell would you get us to fix it! You have a 30 day returns with Microsoft! So go get a new laptop!"  So thats what I did, now I'm just waiting on my replacement

If anyone has any questions regarding the HP Envy 13" 2016 ab008na just let  me know!

:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

5 minutes ago, iHomer said:

Battery Life

This is when it gets a little bad. During the day when browsing the web, some coding and some SSH'ing I was getting around 6 hours out of it. I don't know if this is what is expected, someone let me know! Lets hope it lasts during University lol

This is sadly expected. Other than Sony (which sadly pulled out of the laptop business), I know of no PC manufacturer that comes close to competing with Apple on battery life. Dell is coming close though.

1 minute ago, M.Yurizaki said:

This is sadly expected. Other than Sony (which sadly pulled out of the laptop business), I know of no PC manufacturer that comes close to competing with Apple on battery life. Dell is coming close though.

I guess it's okay for how thin it is, I think it's as thin as the More Expensive HP SPECTRE

:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

3 hours ago, nerdslayer1 said:

which subject? 

Computing Science ?

• 4 weeks later...

UPDATE:

refunded this, too many problems and 3rd replacement still had problems!!!

too loud fan and just going for gaming pc and cheap 14" laptop combo!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Sad to hear man, I just got my girlfriend a HP Spectre 13 with top specs, thing is amazing. So light, thinner than any macbook that is currently out? And the IPS screen is gorgeous. Games alright too with the i7-7500U.

7800x3d - RTX 4090 FE - 64GB-6000C30 - 2x2TB 990 Pro - 4K 144HZ

PCPP: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/mdRcqR

• 5 weeks later...
On 7/12/2017 at 11:27 PM, iHomer said:

Background

Coming from a laptop that was as thick as a Nokia Brick, I was looking to get a new laptop for my new adventure into University this September.

So I was basically coming from a laptop with the following specs:

• Intel Pentium T4400 - Utter Crap
  • 3Gb of RAM - Utter Crap
  • 1024 x 768 15" screen
  • Basically no battery

Looks

Unboxing this was a dream!

Trying to contain myself by opening the charger, which got me even hyped! The charger was HP's new sleek "HP fast charge" adaptor - that had a small glossy brick.

Getting to the laptop itself and taking the plastic wrapping off revealed the all metal build HP Envy 13.

This laptop was a stunner! (which looks like it says 'lip')

Opening the laptop leveals the glossy QHD Screen in a gloss finish, and also a trackpad that was way bigger than my old one (around iphone 6 size trackpad).

And looking at the back shows the best part, the metal strip on the lid that when lifted, pushes down on the table to provide greater clearance beneath to allow the thin laptop some air to breath.

Only criticism is that the laptop resembles Apple's Macbook line up, or Macbook Air, whatever who cares about Macbooks! lol

Screen

The screen was amazing!  Before buying the laptop I did some research on the QHD screen on a 13 inch laptop and saw that many people didn't see the point in it.

However I did! In the windows settings when set on the QHD resolution it was so crispy, and when set on 1080p it was noticeable and ruined the experiance.

The gloss finish on the laptop seemed okay at first but when sitting directly opposite a window the reflection was somewhat annoying.

The bezels on the Envy seem large at first, however being the weird person I am, I like it! When trying the Dell XPS 13 out prior to buying this laptop I found that the bezels being so thin was a distraction.

Keyboard

BEST KEYBOARD EVER!

The keys were perfect! From the keytravel to the spacing all was perfect. The function keys took a bit of getting used to and the half size keys of the up & down arrow keys.

Battery Life

After 2 Weeks

I kind of noticed at the start when using the laptop, that it wouldn't sit level on my table, nor any other table. So I reached out to HP which told me "Why the hell would you get us to fix it! You have a 30 day returns with Microsoft! So go get a new laptop!"  So thats what I did, now I'm just waiting on my replacement

If anyone has any questions regarding the HP Envy 13" 2016 ab008na just let  me know!

what macbook are you comparing them to?