Crop Sensor - Effect on Viewfinder

Hey guys/gals!

I was just wondering if you have a DSLR with a crop sensor, will the image in the viewfinder be the same size as the final photo? In other words, will the viewfinder show the full frame image or the correct cropped image?

Thanks in advance!

The viewfinder to image size is the viewfinder coverage, and its about 90-100% on most dslrs(with highend ones being 100%)

The crop is just the sensor size vs 35mm, not the viewfinder. 

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

The viewfinder to image size is the viewfinder coverage, and its about 90-100% on most dslrs(with highend ones being 100%)

The crop is just the sensor size vs 35mm, not the viewfinder. 

Another question:

If I buy a Nikon D5600 (DX) DSLR, will AF-P DX NIKKOR Lenses also have a crop effect?

The two lenses I am looking at are the

AF-P DX NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR

and the 

AF-P DX NIKKOR 70-300mm f/4.5-6.3G ED.

Just now, Nmistry09 said:

Another question:

If I buy a Nikon D5600 (DX) DSLR, will AF-P DX NIKKOR Lenses also have a crop effect?

The two lenses I am looking at are the

AF-P DX NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR

and the 

AF-P DX NIKKOR 70-300mm f/4.5-6.3G ED.

Well 18MM is different on crop and full 35, but its not like you can see more with a 35 camera as the lens doesn't have a big enough focus plane for that. 

So a 35mm lens on crom will look about the same as 50mm on full frame

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Well 18MM is different on crop and full 35, but its not like you can see more with a 35 camera as the lens doesn't have a big enough focus plane for that. 

So a 35mm lens on crom will look about the same as 50mm on full frame

Do you suggest that I buy the body and the two lenses?

It is on sale for $900.

Just now, Nmistry09 said:

Do you suggest that I buy the body and the two lenses?

It is on sale for $900.

Seems like a pretty good deal. 

Im assuming thats a bundle and you can't swap lenses around, cause if you could id get the 70-300 with vr for anouther 50 bucks. Image stabilaztion is very nice to have.

9 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Im assuming thats a bundle and you can't swap lenses around, cause if you could id get the 70-300 with vr for anouther 50 bucks. Image stabilaztion is very nice to have.

It was a bundle. I went to another bundle that still has the 18-55mm VR lens, and I can order a 55-200mm ED VR II lens seperately, for only an extra 50 dollars, which doesn't seem that bad. What do you think? I know it isn't the 70-300mm VR lens you said, but I won't need that much zoom in. With crop factor, I think I'll be fine.

15 hours ago, Nmistry09 said:

Hey guys/gals!

I was just wondering if you have a DSLR with a crop sensor, will the image in the viewfinder be the same size as the final photo? In other words, will the viewfinder show the full frame image or the correct cropped image?

Thanks in advance!

OK let's clear everything up:

• Sensor size is the reason for crop factor.  It has nothing to do with the view finder.
  • When manufacturers state the viewfinder provides a 95% coverage, they mean what you see through the viewfinder is basically 95% of what the sensor sees.
  • Crop factor does not change focal length, which is always constant.  What it does change is your field of view, or how much the sensor can see.  Think of it like looking through a small window vs a large window.
  • Nikon, Sony, Canon, etc. have lenses designed specifically for use with cropped sensor bodies.  Meaning the image circle (not focal plane) is just large enough to cover the area of the sensor.  So if you mount a cropped sensor lens (Nikon naming convention DX, Canon naming convention EF-S) on a full frame body, there will be heavy vignetting (note: if the lens is a zoom lens the vignetting will happen on the wider ends of the zoom while vignetting might not occur on the narrower end) because the image circle produced by the lens is not large enough to cover the full frame larger sensor.  But the focal lengths of a 35mm lens, whether it's a 35mm DX or 35mm FX (using Nikon naming conventions), remains 35mm always.

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins

13 minutes ago, Nmistry09 said:

It was a bundle. I went to another bundle that still has the 18-55mm VR lens, and I can order a 55-200mm ED VR II lens seperately, for only an extra 50 dollars, which doesn't seem that bad. What do you think? I know it isn't the 70-300mm VR lens you said, but I won't need that much zoom in. With crop factor, I think I'll be fine.

For a beginner or someone who just wants to take photos to capture memories, camera kits that include these types of lenses are pretty good:

18-55 kit lens only

18-55 paired with a telephoto zoom like a 70-200/300 or 50-200/300

18-200/300 lens only

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins