PC for Dota 2 and Sims, using used parts?

My sister asked me if i could build her a gaming for some light gaming.

I have an LGA 1155 MB that can overclock but have no processor for it.

I found a I5 3570k for 150 USD and thought that was very expensive however neither of the listings would go lower. For GPU i gave up on used as even old R9 260 was selling for 200+USD. 

So my question is it worth it to go for an 5 year old proccessor when an AMD Ryzen 5 1400 with MB and ram is 350 USD. The used system is going to be roughly 230-250 with the ram?

3 minutes ago, Boeren said:

My sister asked me if i could build her a gaming for some light gaming.

I have an LGA 1155 MB that can overclock but have no processor for it.

I found a I5 3570k for 150 USD and thought that was very expensive however neither of the listings would go lower. For GPU i gave up on used as even old R9 260 was selling for 200+USD. 

So my question is it worth it to go for an 5 year old proccessor when an AMD Ryzen 5 1400 with MB and is 350 USD. The used system is going to be roughly 230-250 with the ram?

Wait for Ryzen 3, possibly?

we don't really know how far down the line that will be though, so it might be worth it to get a Pentium G4560. 

Welcome to Maryland. 

We have crabs. 

If you already have the board and you don't mind getting used parts go on ebay and get a 1155 socket xeon for like $20-$50 that would work fine. You can find some good stuff and if she is using it for only light gaming anyway that would probably get you the most bang for your buck

⬇ - PC specs down below - ⬇

The Impossibox

CPU: (x2) Xeon X5690 12c/24t (6c/12t per cpu)

Motherboard: EVGA Super Record 2 (SR-2)

RAM: 48Gb (12x4gb) server DDR3 ECC

GPU: MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X 6GB

Case: Modded Lian-LI PC-08

Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 500Gb and a 2Tb HDD

PSU: 1000W something or other I forget

Display(s): 24" Acer G246HL

Cooling: (x2) Corsair H100i v2

Keyboard: Corsair Gaming K70 LUX RGB MX Browns

Mouse: Logitech G600

Headphones: Sennheiser HD558

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro

Folding info so I don't lose it: 

WhisperingKnickers

Join us on the x58 page it is awesome!

x58 Fan Page

an i3 would do just as well in those games. or if you wanna buy new parts why not a g4560 build?

I would go for a 1050 or even 1050ti if you have the cash. these seems to be spared from the mining hype and would be more than powerful enough for those two games. heck even the igpu or a 1030 could probably play those :P 

Folding stats

Vigilo Confido

15 minutes ago, WhisperingKnickers said:

If you already have the board and you don't mind getting used parts go on ebay and get a 1155 socket xeon for like $20-$50 that would work fine. You can find some good stuff and if she is using it for only light gaming anyway that would probably get you the most bang for your buck

They go for something like 80 GBP withour postal.

19 minutes ago, Nicnac said:

an i3 would do just as well in those games. or if you wanna buy new parts why not a g4560 build?

I would go for a 1050 or even 1050ti if you have the cash. these seems to be spared from the mining hype and would be more than powerful enough for those two games. heck even the igpu or a 1030 could probably play those :P 

There is no shortage of 1060 or rx 480/ rx 580 here. But the 1050 is way cheaper 130 usd against 275 usd.

Edit: i3 is more expensive then a Ryzen 5 1400. An i3-7100 is the same as an Ryzen 5 1400. And the performance difference is huge.