The First 64 Layer 3D NAND SSD, the Intel SSD 545s, Reviewed... A Good 850 EVO Alternative?

Source: http://www.anandtech.com/show/11571/the-intel-ssd-545s-512gb-review-64layer-3d-tlc-nand-hits-retail

Today Intel is introducing their SSD 545s, the first product with their new 64-layer 3D NAND flash memory and, in a move that gives Intel a little bit of bragging rights, the first SSD on the market to use 64-layer 3D NAND from any manufacturer.

The Intel SSD 545s is a mainstream consumer SSD, which these days means it's using the SATA interface and TLC NAND flash. The 545s is the successor to last year's Intel SSD 540s, which was in many ways a filler product to cover up inconvenient gaps in Intel's SSD technology roadmap. When the 540s launched, Intel's first generation of 3D NAND was not quite ready, and Intel had no cost-competitive planar NAND of their own due to skipping the 16nm node at IMFT. This forced Intel to use 16nm TLC from SK Hynix in the 540s. Less unusual for Intel, the 540s also used a third-party SSD controller: Silicon Motion's SM2258. Silicon Motion's SSD controllers are seldom the fastest, but performance is usually decent and the cost is low. Intel's in-house SATA SSD controllers were enterprise-focused and not ready to compete in the new TLC-based consumer market.

Intel SSD 545s Specifications Comparison
Model 545s 512GB 540s 480GB
Controller Silicon Motion SM2259 Silicon Motion SM2258
NAND Flash Intel 256Gb 64-layer 3D TLC SK Hynix 16nm TLC
Sequential Read 550 MB/s 560 MB/s
Sequential Write Burst 500 MB/s 480 MB/s
Sustained 475 MB/s 40 MB/s
Random Read IOPS 75k 78k
Random Write IOPS 90k 85k
TCG Opal Encryption No No
Power Management Slumber and DevSleep Slumber and DevSleep
Form Factor 2.5" 7mm (M.2 later this year) 2.5" 7mm and M.2 2280
Write Endurance 288 TB (0.3 DWPD)  
Warranty 5 years 5 years
Launch MSRP $179 $174

The most significant performance improvement Intel cites for the 545s over the 540s is in sustained sequential transfers where writes exceed the size of the drive's SLC cache. In the briefing for the 545s Intel claimed the 480GB 540s would drop to 40MB/s while the 512GB 545s is capable of maintaining 475MB/s. The numbers given for the 540s are lower than what the full product specifications from last year list (125 MB/s). Without access to the comparable document for the 545s we can't entirely explain this discrepancy, but the most plausible reason is that Intel is no longer measuring sustained write speed restricted to an 8GB span of the drive and that they are now instead using a more sensible test where the drive is full or nearly so. Either way, the 545s should be able to perform much better after its SLC cache is full.

The 512GB Intel 545s debuts with a MSRP of $179. This is slightly higher than the launch MSRP of $174 for the 480GB Intel 540s, but on a price per GB basis the 545s is cheaper, and since its launch the MSRP of the 540s has been driven up to $189 by the onset of an industry-wide NAND flash shortage. In this narrow context the MSRP for the 545s may seem reasonable, but its true street price will need to be substantially lower. Intel's 600p NVMe SSD is currently only $175 on Newegg. Since the 600p outperforms any SATA SSD for typical real-world desktop use, the 545s needs to do better than 35¢/GB. The competition based on Micron's 32L 3D TLC includes the Crucial MX300 for around 30¢/GB, and the Samsung 850 EVO 500GB happens to be on sale on Newegg today for $165 (33¢/GB).

Anandtech Storage Bench-The Destroyer Results

Spoiler

87174.png

87176.png

Here, the 545s actually manages to beat the 850 evo and come close to the 850 pro all while consuming significantly less power. This is quite impressive, as the 850 evo has long been the king of sata tlc SSDs, but now it's looking like the 545s wants that name.

Anandtech Storage Bench-Heavy Results

Spoiler

87177.png

87179.png

Here the 545s doesn't have quite as good performance as in the Destroyer, but it's still pretty good. While the 850 evo is still definitely ahead, when the drive is full we see the 545s doing a lot better than the mx300 and su800. Power consumption isn't as amazing as in the Destroyer but it's still not bad, with the 545s consuming a similar amount of power to the 850 evo.

Anandtech Storage Bench-Light Results

Spoiler

87180.png

87182.png

In the Light test we see a similar result to the Heavy test. The 545s is performing close to but not quite at the level of the 850 evo while consuming about the same amount of power.

Our first look at the Intel SSD 545s with Intel's new 64-layer 3D TLC NAND flash memory has been very promising. Compared to its predecessor based on 16nm planar TLC NAND, the 545s is a big leap forward in performance. Where the Intel 540s was really only suitable as an entry-level consumer SSD, the 545s is a much better all-around performer.

However, it's too soon to determine whether the Intel 545s will actually be competing in the right price range. Based on the testing so far, the Intel 545s should be targeting a price near the Crucial MX300, which has spent most of the past year as one of the cheapest SATA SSDs available despite offering performance a step up from the entry-level planar TLC SSDs. The MSRP of $179 for the 512GB model is significantly higher than that target, but a fair price comparison will have to wait a few weeks for broader availability of the Intel 545s.

Intel has successfully launched a new generation of flash memory and a new mainstream consumer SSD. They haven't completely upended the SSD market like some of their SSD launches in the past and the impact will be muted at first due to limited supply, but this is still clearly a step forward. The bar has been raised a bit higher for the upcoming 3D NAND from Toshiba and Western Digital, and by the end of the year Samsung's SSD division should be feeling a lot more pressure than they have in a long time. Even if the NAND shortage will be keeping prices elevated into 2018, the market is moving forward in ways that will benefit consumers.

The 545s overall performs pretty impressively. Compared to the king of sata tlc SSDs at the moment, the 850 evo, the 545s performs worse in the light and heavy tests while consuming about the same amount of power. However, if we look at the Destroyer results, we see the 545s performing better than the 850 evo while consuming noticeably less power.

Overall, I would probably rate the 545s as comparable in performance to the 850 evo. As well, both drives come with a 5 year warranty, continuing the similarities.

The 512gb 545s will be available next week, and it looks like Intel plans on selling it for $179.99. This is the same price the 850 evo 500gb generally goes for, putting the two straight against each other. I personally would probably choose the 545s over the 850 evo purely because of the extra 12gb of space you get. Currently, however, the 850 evo is on sale in some places, including newegg, putting the 545s in a tough place.

What are your thoughts?

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

I wonder how it stacks up against SK Hynix SL308? 

Looks nice!

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

2 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

I wonder how it stacks up against SK Hynix SL308? 

Probably better, I think the sl308 is noticeably behind the 850 evo which would put this ahead of it.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Spoiler

m.2 version would be nice.

If sata cables and sata power connectors simply stopped existing i would be pretty happy

6 minutes ago, potoooooooo said:

If sata cables and sata power connectors simply stopped existing i would be pretty happy

Why, leave M.2 for NVME not Sata.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

Not bad, but seriously though. The 850 Evo is getting old now (even though prices has risen, wtf). Isn't it about time they phase out SATA and move to M.2/U.2? The flash is the same, only difference is the controller, and it simply cannot be that much more expensive to make. It feels like Intel has caught up with a market that moving towards EOL.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

Just now, DarkBlade2117 said:

Why, leave M.2 for NVME not Sata.

Why the fuck would i want that? NVME is basically pointless right now, sata is all that we need, and i want to get away from the pointless waste of space that is the 2.5" form factor. Have you ever opened a 2.5" SSD? It's a tiny little PCB in there, and it takes up so much space in cables that is entirely unnecessary. If it weren't for SSDs in my system my cable management would be so much easier. Literally 3 power cables in the entire system. 

M.2 SATA SSDs are great and should completely replace 2.5" SATA SSDs

15 minutes ago, potoooooooo said:

Please no...

1 minute ago, potoooooooo said:

Why the fuck would i want that? NVME is basically pointless right now, sata is all that we need, and i want to get away from the pointless waste of space that is the 2.5" form factor. Have you ever opened a 2.5" SSD? It's a tiny little PCB in there, and it takes up so much space in cables that is entirely unnecessary. If it weren't for SSDs in my system my cable management would be so much easier. Literally 3 power cables in the entire system. 

M.2 SATA SSDs are great and should completely replace 2.5" SATA SSDs

You are one in a thousand. Most mobos have 1-2 M.2s. Very few have 3. They take up minimum space, be creative with the cable management and it'll look fine. Those 1-2 M.2s Id rather not have occupied by drives that won't exceed Sata 3 speeds. What are you on where hiding some skinny ass black sata cables and a single Sata power cable to power 3 drives is enough to bother you

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe

3 minutes ago, DarkBlade2117 said:

You are one in a thousand. Most mobos have 1-2 M.2s. Very few have 3. They take up minimum space, be creative with the cable management and it'll look fine. Those 1-2 M.2s Id rather not have occupied by drives that won't exceed Sata 3 speeds. What are you on where hiding some skinny ass black sata cables and a single Sata power cable to power 3 drives is enough to bother you

You understand not everyone has a full tower, right? My system only has room for two drives, and the SATA cables take up literally half of the room for cable management. Not to mention that 99% of people only have one SSD anyway, so the fact that boards still only have 1 or 2 doesn't exactly matter, now does it.

1 minute ago, potoooooooo said:

You understand not everyone has a full tower, right? My system only has room for two drives, and the SATA cables take up literally half of the room for cable management. Not to mention that 99% of people only have one SSD anyway, so the fact that boards still only have 1 or 2 doesn't exactly matter, now does it.

I've seen SFF cases with enough room for an HDD and 2 2.5" SSDs. Most mid towers easily have 4-8 bays for HDDs/SSD. And SSDd don't exactly need a mount, not like cable management needs to be perfect on the back end of the case. Yes it is nice but do you keep yourself up at night over a singular wires that was to short to be bundled up with everything else? I sure hope not

fix for dark theme

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

So....$5 extra bucks for extra performance in everything but power....oh and 12gb...

Why would I choose the 545 again? Am I missing something?

10 hours ago, Notional said:

Not bad, but seriously though. The 850 Evo is getting old now (even though prices has risen, wtf). Isn't it about time they phase out SATA and move to M.2/U.2? The flash is the same, only difference is the controller, and it simply cannot be that much more expensive to make. It feels like Intel has caught up with a market that moving towards EOL.

I would assume the controller might cost more due to R&D costs as well as potentially a larger die.

It's also possible that the flash used in NVMe drives usually have a bit higher performance which would also mean they cost more, but I'm not sure on that.

8 hours ago, mynameisjuan said:

So....$5 extra bucks for extra performance in everything but power....oh and 12gb...

Why would I choose the 545 again? Am I missing something?

They're supposed to be priced the same. At the sale price the 850 evo is the better buy but the 850 evo is supposed to be $180 for the 500gb version.

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler