Hardware bug in Skylake and Kaby Lake : Unsafe Hyper-Threading

mariushm
13 hours ago, stephena said:

The Debian project don't hate non-free stuff that much. Heck, they have a non-free repo. They just respect your right to avoid all such software.

If you want to talk about hating non-free software... Richard M Stallman disagrees with the Debian Project because they make it too easy to install non-free software.

Stallman has been called a lighthouse: on the dark waters of software freedom, when you don't know where to be, he lights the way, but you do NOT want to be there!

open_source.png

Still love the man and what he's been standing for for the past 40 or something years

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

On 6/26/2017 at 6:13 AM, Morgan MLGman said:

I didn't mean it like that. And by the way, bugs that have been out for a long time undetected are actually much more dangerous than those associated with a new platform launch as those tend to be found and fixed sooner.

I meant that with every thread describing an issue with Ryzen there was a horde of people saying Ryzen is the next "Zendozer" etc, I somehow never manage to catch those same people comment on issues with Intel CPUs or if they do, those issues are "suddenly" irrelevant while they may actually be more severe ;) Hypocrisy at its finest.

I only worry because I still don't entirely know what that bug means for someone like me running an OC'd 6700K under Windows 10.

Was going to say something similar. Funny how whenever negative intel news is here, all the "zendozer" or "beta product" people are nowhere to be seen. It goes both ways too, not just saying Intel fanboys do this kinda shit, Ayymd fanboys are guilty too obviously.

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer

3 hours ago, Arokhantos said:

Am i glad i am on 5th generation, i don't even need to delid my cpu cos its soldered :D

I still don't get why people say that like it's a good thing xD "Yeah, great, I have a CPU where after a certain number of CPU Heat Cycles there will be irreparable microfractures in my die and my heat transfer material! Awesome!" xD

For the little bit of extra thermal performance it gives, it's not worth the trade-off except in extreme overclocking.

Even delidding is only *really* needed in extreme overclocking if we're being blunt.

The extra thermal headroom from delidding might be nice for enthusiasts, but for your joe average user or even your average overclocker, using a TIM that degrades over time when exposed directly to die temps isn't worth it. Intel's solution may have worse heat transfer but it also maintains it's level of heat transfer after a lot more thermal cycles than IC Diamond, Arctic Silver, or any of those other TIMs.