Thank You, Linus

On 2017-06-22 at 5:54 PM, AaronTypesStuff said:

Hi Linus,

I'm not entirely sure if you get a lot of posts directly addressing you or not, or if they get read frequently, but I felt that I needed to let you know my story, because your channel has become something much more than a series of videos that air weekly, to me it's a crutch that helped me regain the grasp on my mental health. I hope you don't mind that this gets personal, but I want to share my story with you and to all that decide to view this post.

In the months leading past last March, I reached a very low point with regards to my mental health; I was suffering from serious depression and anxiety as a result of personal issues that had been dogging me constantly. I didn't know where to go- I was afraid to go to any sort of doctor and wasn't willing to talk to anyone about it because I'm naturally a shy person. I was being eaten up inside my mind and couldn't find a way out, and it was having a negative effect on my college work and general lifestyle, to the point where I was constantly trapped in a cycle my own negative thought, losing sleep and finding myself in a constant state on unhappiness.

For months this continued, and it got to a point where I had simply accepted the notion that I wouldn't be happy again. My family and close friends all tried their best to help me but it was never enough. However, one September evening I found myself at a friends house where the first episode of scrapyard wars just happened to surface as part of our youtube surfing. I had been a fan of you growing as a young teenager but had lost track of what was current with technology many years prior, but it piqued my interest so I kept watching.

This inspired me to start watching regularly the following week, as I had been interested to keep up with the series and others prior. This was the start of a domino effect- soon afterwards, my whole life became enveloped in tech and news surrounding it. I subscribed to the channels you run outside of LTT, keeping up with all the news and reviews you and your crew get up to as well as your original videos, and for the first time in over half a year, I began to smile again. 

Not only did I begin to smile, but I soon began to shake off the depression and anxiety, brushing it off as an afterthought because I was too excited at the thoughts of saving up to build my own rig. I felt my whole life change with a new focus, and in somewhat of a cliché I began to once again excel in my grades at university and my family and friends all noticed that I was returning to my old self. 

I realise this is going to come across as very bait-ey in an attempt to draw attention to myself, but I really wanted to share this because your content has changed me for the better. Thank you, maybe I can shake your hand one day, pending I catch a means of getting over to Canada.

Pardon my brevity, I'm on a campsite with my kids (9m, 2.5y, 5y) without a computer at the moment (trying to take a week off but it never really goes that way) and I'm on my phone in between crises. 

It's always uplifting for us to hear stuff like this. Not just for me, but for the whole team. 

Its easy for us to get consumed by the negativity - especially in the YouTube comments - and to obsess over the like:dislike ratio on a video.. but posts like this remind us that while a few hundred career complainers are always going to be out there pressing thumbs down or saying we don't make enough videos or whatever there are folks out there who really *get* what we are trying to do : make FUN tech content. 

We strive for these things, but FUN doesnt always have have to teach, it doesn't always have to make sense, and it doesn't always have to appeal to everyone.. but that's what we are trying to do. 

And if you're having fun while you watch, then you get it. 

Im glad to hear we had a positive impact on your life. That kind of stuff means a lot to me. I know what it's like to not be able to get out of bed in the morning because you lack passion. PCs was my way out too ;)

@LinusTech I Am sure you are really passionate about making YouTube videos, but guess what? You came along from non scripted videos to a toy car review and time goes by you attracted sponsors then you make another channel (Tech Quickie and Channel Super Fun) also putting in sponsors to those two channels and finally getting free samples.

Also your dislike ratio is rarely to go over 1K, in almost every video (well the preview for Ryzen 5 and 3 did not make too much satisfaction). But the dislikes are where you learn to make better videos, and i never hate your videos because i feel that you are honest at reviews not being paid like TechTubers in my country.

keep the amazing work, and that "If this video sucked you know what to do, but if it is awesome hit that like button" quote is the thing i like.

sincerely from Indonesia

"Make it future proof for some years at least, don't buy "only slightly better" stuff that gets outdated 1 year, that's throwing money away" @pipoawas

-Frequencies DON'T represent everything and in many cases that is true (referring to Individual CPU Clocks).

Mention me if you want to summon me sooner or later

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

Note 10, S10, Samsung becomes Apple, Zen 2, 3700X, Renegade X lol

20 minutes ago, LinusTech said:

Pardon my brevity, I'm on a campsite with my kids (9m, 2.5y, 5y) without a computer at the moment (trying to take a week off but it never really goes that way) and I'm on my phone in between crises. 

It's always uplifting for us to hear stuff like this. Not just for me, but for the whole team. 

Its easy for us to get consumed by the negativity - especially in the YouTube comments - and to obsess over the like:dislike ratio on a video.. but posts like this remind us that while a few hundred career complainers are always going to be out there pressing thumbs down or saying we don't make enough videos or whatever there are folks out there who really *get* what we are trying to do : make FUN tech content. 

We strive for these things, but FUN doesnt always have have to teach, it doesn't always have to make sense, and it doesn't always have to appeal to everyone.. but that's what we are trying to do. 

And if you're having fun while you watch, then you get it. 

Im glad to hear we had a positive impact on your life. That kind of stuff means a lot to me. I know what it's like to not be able to get out of bed in the morning because you lack passion. PCs was my way out too ;)

I would certainly think that the Wonnuck Incident would make anyone not want to get out of bed for awhile. 

On a serious note, LMG is able to have this impact as those in the video are easily relatable, on a more human level. With the vlogs over the years, channelsuperfun, and other random odds and ends, it's easy to think of LMG staff as just a group of people rather than emotionless, unrelatable actors. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

On 6/22/2017 at 7:21 PM, DocSwag said:

it's like a tech carnival in Vancouver where you can meet all the lmg people.

it's langley just in case you didn't know.

The geek himself.

On 6/23/2017 at 11:33 PM, yathis said:

That is totally you guys LMFAO

But you are having fun doing it, and earning an income.

So you can retire in 20 years time to a sandy beach in Valencia Spain, or Croatia.

Leave the Canadian system behind. Leave the cold winters, leave the rain, leave the gunk and dirtiness of Vancouver, leave the hustle and bustle of Vancouver, of Turdeau's vision.

Retirement.jpg

There are reasons why they say. Vancouver is beautiful for one thing. Well British Columbia in general is beautiful. Visit it.

The geek himself.

1 hour ago, Being Delirious said:

There are reasons why they say. Vancouver is beautiful for one thing. Well British Columbia in general is beautiful. Visit it.

I have, I generally love the Province, except for Van and a certain town I shall not name as the courts are public.

Very good post.  I can remember I think LTT helped me out of a bad spot too.  I can remember never wanting to leave the house, thinking my life was a failure.  And I started to get into technology and just found a bit of passion and through they gained my confidence because I wasn't the best at computers but I was better that most people my age and actually gave me a purpose.  

My advice is to keep going, and keep experimenting.  IT might not be your true passion in the end, but it was a start.  So stay positive, stay open minded, and keep productive. 

Wish you the best

5 hours ago, SecGuy said:

never wanting to leave the house

Yeah been there, drank that away.