Why is the IBM Model M considered a legendary keyboard?

Hi, so recently I posted a wanted add on Craigslist for free old computers to tinker with, and one of the people that gave me an old Pentium D IBM computer along with some IBM DOS manuals, and on top of that, the old lady said since you were willing to pick up the manuals, she gave me her old 1993 IBM Model M keyboard. At first I thought this keyboard would be some old proprietary thing, but I saw that it had a PS/2 connector and so I connected it to my desktop and it still works. I googled the keyboard, every website said that this was the best keyboard ever made and how it's considered the legendary and gold standard of keyboards even today in 2017, 31 years later... Why is this keyboard considered "legendary" and the gold standard of keyboards? Should I keep it around or just sell it off to someone on eBay? 

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning." -Albert Einstein

It's really excellent to type on, pretty much.. also quite rare.

if you do wish to sell it https://www.reddit.com/r/mechmarket/ is a better place. 

CPU: i7 5820k @4.4GHz | MoboMSI MPower X99A | RAM: 16GB DDR4 Quad Channel Corsair LP | GPU: EVGA 1080 FTW Case: Define R5 Black Window | OS: Win 10 Pro

Storage: SanDisk Ultra II 960GB 2x WD Red 4TB | PSU: EVGA 750W G2 | Display:Acer XF270HU + Dell U2515H | Cooling: Phanteks PH-TC14PE

Keyboard: Ducky One  TKL Browns | Mouse: Steel Series Rival 300 | Sound: DT990s

1986? That's 1st year of production IIRC

Can you send a photo of the label?

Model M's are very good, they have a buckling spring switch, which is really nice to type on. The model M was also the 1st keyboard to use the keyboard layout that we use today. 

2 minutes ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

Model M's are very good, they have a buckling spring switch, which is really nice to type on. The model M was also the 1st keyboard to use the keyboard layout that we use today. 

I corrected your text's font.

20 hours ago, Jerped said:

I corrected your text's font.

Lol

My RIG:

I7 6700k - GTX 1080 -  32GB Ram - 256GB 950 Pro(boot) + 1TB 850 EVO(Programs) + 4TB 860 EVO(Games) + 1TB WD Black (Files)