Smallest PSU that can supply 300w

EunSoo

Hello, I am looking for the smallest PSU on the market that can supply 264w. It will be used for a 7700t and the Gigabyte 1070 mini. Ideally, it would be about the size of the Streacom ZF240 (smaller if possible). If nothing exists, then I would have to find a way to make the best mini ITX gaming/content creation system under 240w. So the big question is how do I fit a GPU in that. I don't think that's possible. If that's the case, then I guess all my efforts into my project were in vain. But let's be optimistic.

Image of the Streacom ZF240 for reference:

Spoiler

Image result for streacom zf240

Seasonic makes a Flex ATX 300W PSU. I use one in my compact LAN box build. No complaints, and because it's a Seasonic, I trust that it can actually push 300W consistently.

My build has a 6700T and 1050 Ti low-profile, if that helps estimate power demands.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

So you would use the 1st link for GPU and others and 2nd link for Mobo + CPU and others? 

nice 

Personal build >  New-ish AMD main gaming setup           

PLEASE QUOTE OR @ ME FOR A RESPONSE xD 

4 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

Seasonic makes a Flex ATX 300W PSU. I use one in my compact LAN box build. No complaints, and because it's a Seasonic, I trust that it can actually push 300W consistently.

My build has a 6700T and 1050 Ti low-profile, if that helps estimate power demands.

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

thanks for the input. I'm going to be doing some research on both suggestions so I won't be directly responding to them for a bit.

While you're eagerly waiting for my response, here's a question. Is it possible to have an external PSU and some sort of breakout box inside the case? I'm pretty sure it's been done before but is it a good idea? Thanks

7 minutes ago, SCGazelle said:

While you're eagerly waiting for my response, here's a question. Is it possible to have an external PSU and some sort of breakout box inside the case? I'm pretty sure it's been done before but is it a good idea? Thanks

Thats what the picopsu does. It is a buck converter than gives you 5v 3v3 and -12v for the mobo and drives. You don't need much power from those, and everything else run from 12v from a external brick. You can put a female powerjack like thos one http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Switchcraft/712A/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMtnOp%2bbbqA001mXVWsjex9sCb0Ypqh6m7Q%3d and then you can use any external psu thats big enough.

8 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Thats what the picopsu does. It is a buck converter than gives you 5v 3v3 and -12v for the mobo and drives. You don't need much power from those, and everything else run from 12v from a external brick. You can put a female powerjack like thos one http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Switchcraft/712A/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMtnOp%2bbbqA001mXVWsjex9sCb0Ypqh6m7Q%3d and then you can use any external psu thats big enough.

Ahhh, I am beginning to understand. So I have an external psu that I could steal from an old laptop. Plug it into the pico psu which breaks the power into my 24pin and 4pin EPS. I don't need any sata plugs so could I just chop those wires off as itll be pretty cozy in there anyways.

Now let's talk about the gpu power. Does the 250w psu that you first linked also need a similar setup where I have an external psu that connects to it via a plug and it breaks it out to an 8pin PCIe connector or something that I can adapt to one? Also, the gpu has a tdp of 150w. Is there a smaller version of that psu that can support the gpu as space is very limited and the smaller the better.

Thanks for your time. 

5 minutes ago, SCGazelle said:

So I have an external psu that I could steal from an old laptop.

those are 19v, you normally need a 12v psu for a pico psu.

7 minutes ago, SCGazelle said:

Now let's talk about the gpu power. Does the 250w psu that you first linked also need a similar setup where I

Get an adapter from the 12v on the psu to the gpu 8 pin.

I found that psu here https://www.digikey.com/products/en/power-supplies-external-internal-off-board/ac-dc-converters/133

You can look for a smaller one. Your not getting too much smaller than that, but many 150-200w can be used at 250w if they have active cooling.

6 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

those are 19v, you normally need a 12v psu for a pico psu.

Get an adapter from the 12v on the psu to the gpu 8 pin.

I found that psu here https://www.digikey.com/products/en/power-supplies-external-internal-off-board/ac-dc-converters/133

You can look for a smaller one. Your not getting too much smaller than that, but many 150-200w can be used at 250w if they have active cooling.

Ok. I'm going to do the rest of my research tomorrow so if I have any more questions I'll ask then. Thanks for you help and setting me on the right track. 

try the HDPLEX 300 , ist a 300w pico

hdplex-300-header.jpg.686ad52298996328b13f9b14536ac01f.jpg

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

52 minutes ago, Space Reptile said:

try the HDPLEX 300 , ist a 300w pico

hdplex-300-header.jpg.686ad52298996328b13f9b14536ac01f.jpg

but thats from 12v dc, not 120v ac like the rest of the psu's.

Also no need for a 300w pico, very little power is used on the 3.3v and 5v which it makes, you can just get 12v to pcie and cpu adapters and use those.

3 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Also no need for a 300w pico, very little power is used on the 3.3v and 5v which it makes, you can just get 12v to pcie and cpu adapters and use those.

what? the OP wanted the smallest 300w psu , wich is this one

also i dont understand what you try to say there w/ the Adapters

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

Just now, Space Reptile said:

what? the OP wanted the smallest 300w psu , wich is this one

also i dont understand what you try to say there w/ the Adapters

Thats not a 300w psu. You can't plug 120v ac into it. You still need anouther psu that connects this to the wall.

No use for a highend picopsu, all the extra power is on the 12v rail, where the pico does nothing and you can just get adapters from the 12 of you psu(which you need if you use a pico) to the gpu or cpu power.

5 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Thats not a 300w psu. You can't plug 120v ac into it. You still need anouther psu that connects this to the wall.

No use for a highend picopsu, all the extra power is on the 12v rail, where the pico does nothing and you can just get adapters from the 12 of you psu(which you need if you use a pico) to the gpu or cpu power.

you cant plug 120ac into it , yes thats true , you Need a 16~24v supply

you know , a pico is full of components that convert the 12v it gets into the other voltages needed , like 5v -12v and 3.3v , see the specs for the 400w model they have

Key Specification:

Output Voltage Max DC Current Full Load DC Current Output Voltage Tolerance Ripple Noise
(mVp-p,MAX)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

+3.3V       12A   10A       1%       10mV
+5V       12A   10A       1%       10mV
+12V       50A   35A       1%       10mV
+5VSB       2A   1.5A       3%        10mV

PSU Tier list

8 minutes ago, Space Reptile said:

you know , a pico is full of components that convert the 12v it gets into the other voltages needed , like 5v -12v and 3.3v , see the specs for the 400w model they have

But almost no power(less than 50 w in most systems) is being used on the 5v and 3v3 rails. And this model decided to do another buck converter on the input to 12v. Which mainly just reduces efficiency instead of having a 12v psu and only converting on the small rails.

6 hours ago, SCGazelle said:

So I have an external psu that I could steal from an old laptop.

You still need to check the rating of the external power brick. You could get what @Space Reptile had suggested, and a 330w power brick from Dell for $159.99. [LINK]

The HDPLEX 300w will included the necessary connectors that you can plugged in like a modular power supply: 24-pin MBU connector, 4+4 pin EPS12V / ATX12V connector, 6 / 6+2 pin PEG connector, and 3x SATA + 1 Molex connector. Of course, it got the 19V input port that you plugged the power brick to. Although I believe that is discontinued, and there's a 400w version with two 6+2 pin PEG connectors to power.

Since it's only 160(L) x 51.5 (W) x 30 (H) mm, it won't add much depth to the case where most of the height / width will determine by how you mount the GPU. So this can be a good setup if you are fabricating your SFF case as it sounds like you are doing.

10 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

So here's where I'm at right now. I can use the Pico PSU to supply the 24pin and 4pin to the motherboard. And I use the AC DC converter to power my GPU. Can I use something like this for the Pico:

https://www.amazon.com/900A-900HA-900HD-900SD-904HA/dp/B0079G7F4M

And would I use another one of those for the GPU AC-DC Converter? Alternatively, is there one power brick that I can split into two different outputs for each power distributor. That way I only have one power cable coming out of the case.

Looking at @Space Reptile's suggestion. I don't quite understand what was wrong with that 300w pico. I believe the problem was that instead of giving the extra power to a useful connector it gives to something that's useless. I don't understand electronics well so I probably made that more confusing. Anyways, can that PSU handle my 300w without much airflow and in a hot situation? It'll be sitting next to the GPU in my current layout and I haven't looked at how I'll handle airflow so I want to assume worst case scenario. Also, would I need to get the HDPLEX 300W AC-DC w/PFC if I went with this solution? Thanks

Edited by SCGazelle

10 minutes ago, SCGazelle said:

I can use the Pico PSU to supply the 24pin and 4pin to the motherboard. And I use the AC DC converter to power my GPU

You can use one AC-DC converter for the gpu and the pico, no need for 2 of them.

10 minutes ago, SCGazelle said:

Don't go and buy the cheapest psu out there.

11 minutes ago, SCGazelle said:

I don't quite understand what was wrong with that 300w pico. I believe the problem was that instead of giving the extra power to a useful connector it gives to something that's useless.

That will power your system just fine if you want to use it.

16 minutes ago, SCGazelle said:

So here's where I'm at right now. I can use the Pico PSU to supply the 24pin and 4pin to the motherboard. And I use the AC DC converter to power my GPU. Can I use something like this for the Pico:

https://www.amazon.com/900A-900HA-900HD-900SD-904HA/dp/B0079G7F4M

And would I use another one of those for the GPU AC-DC Converter? Alternatively, is there one power brick that I can split into two different outputs for each power distributor. That way I only have one power cable coming out of the case.

Looking at @Space Reptile's suggestion. I don't quite understand what was wrong with that 300w pico. I believe the problem was that instead of giving the extra power to a useful connector it gives to something that's useless. I don't understand electronics well so I probably made that more confusing. Anyways, can that PSU handle my 300w without much airflow and in a hot situation? It'll be sitting next to the GPU in my current layout and I haven't looked at how I'll handle airflow so I want to assume worst case scenario.

You can used that Murata AC-DC 250w / 400w (if used with a fan) to power the GPU and the pico, by wiring both component up to the 12V1 rail of PSU (the 12V2 rail is for fan auxiliary that's rated for only 1A / 12w).

But yeah, the HDPLEX would allow for a single cable (plus an appropriate size brick) to plug into the case.

6 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

You can use one AC-DC converter for the gpu and the pico, no need for 2 of them.

So the AC-DC converter does all of the heavy lifting and work. I take the 8pin GPU power out of it and whatever connector the pico uses to the pico. And the pico distributes my 24pin and 4pin eps. Right?

7 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Don't go and buy the cheapest psu out there.

Oh, my bad. I just clicked the first result of '12v laptop power supply'

1 minute ago, SCGazelle said:

o the AC-DC converter does all of the heavy lifting and work. I take the 8pin GPU power out of it and whatever connector the pico uses to the pico. And the pico distributes my 24pin and 4pin eps. Right?

The pico does the 24pin and sata/molex and floppy, everything funs off the 12v.

22 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

The pico does the 24pin and sata/molex and floppy, everything funs off the 12v.

My only storage is going to be an m.2 and my fan are going to run off the motherboard fan headers so I don't think I'll need anything other than the 24pin and 4pin eps.

25 minutes ago, quan289 said:

You can used that Murata AC-DC 250w / 400w (if used with a fan) to power the GPU and the pico, by wiring both component up to the 12V1 rail of PSU (the 12V2 rail is for fan auxiliary that's rated for only 1A / 12w).

But yeah, the HDPLEX would allow for a single cable (plus an appropriate size brick) to plug into the case.

so my parts list for power supply is the Murata 400w AC-DC Converter. The Pico. The wires and connector for the pcie 8pin. Would I need anything else for the gpu power, especially the connection from the AC-DC Converter.

Just now, SCGazelle said:

Would I need anything else for the gpu power, especially the connection from the AC-DC Converter.

You will need an adapter to power the 8pin gpu from the psu, so make one with a 8pin extention thats soldered to the psu output. 

39 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

You will need an adapter to power the 8pin gpu from the psu, so make one with a 8pin extention thats soldered to the psu output. 

alright cool. I think I will be able to figure out the rest. Thanks fo your help!

@Space Reptile So I've been researching the HDPlex solution. So here is the way I think it works: So the solution comes in two pieces. The AC-DC converter and the power splitter. So very similar to the other one I'm looking at but this one is more polished and built for PCs. Now here's my issue. I have room for the power splitter, however, the AC-DC converter might be an issue. So I might have to make the converter be external. But because the power splitter and the converter connect using a 6pin connector, I am locked into that converter which clearly isn't meant to be external. So I am trying to figure out how I could elegantly overcome this issue.