Aftermarket Cooler For Asus GTX 970 Turbo?

Go to solution Solved by shadowbyte,

it's a bit expensive, but the Kraken G12 and Corsair H55 will allow your card to run much cooler with better OC headroom

Hello! About a year ago I picked up an Asus GTX 970 Turbo for my first computer build, and after a year of having it, I wish to upgrade the cooler as it is quite loud and heats up my room since the blower blows the hot air directly into the room(I have a pretty small room). After doing a little research, I am unable to find any definite aftermarket coolers that will work with this graphics card. I am leaning towards liquid cooling my graphics card and possibly my CPU if possible, but an air cooler would work as-well, just as long as it is quieter than the blower style cooler on my current graphics card. If anyone knows of an aftermarket cooler for this card and could recommend one for me that would be much appreciated! 

Link to Graphics Card

Thanks,

Kaleb Harris

it's a bit expensive, but the Kraken G12 and Corsair H55 will allow your card to run much cooler with better OC headroom

Snorlax: i7 5820k @4.5ghz, Asus X99 Pro, 32gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666, Cryorig R1 Ultimate, Samsung 850 evo 500gb, Asus GTX 1080 ROG Strix, Corsair RM850x, NZXT H440, Hue+

Smallsnor: Huawei Matebook X

Canon AE-1 w/ 50mm f/1.8 lens

Pentax KM w/ 55mm f/1.8 SMC lens

Zenit-E w/ 58mm f/2 Helios lens

Panasonic G7 with 14-42mm f/3.5 lens

Polaroid Spectra System

Well, as far as I'm aware of, there isn't really a way to modify that card (or any card) to make it have another after market cooler (like the STRIX or FTW coolers). Maybe there is, or maybe I'm not quite understanding what you are saying. Either way, I would recommend looking into the  NZXT watercooler modifier for your card. I believe it's called the NZXT G12 bracket. EVGA also offers a Hyrbid conversion kit, but I am not sure if it is compatible with that card. 

Riptide

Spoiler

| CPUi7 9700K @4.8GHz | Motherboard - ASUS ROG Maximus XI Code | Cooler - NZXT Kraken X52 | RAM - Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB @3600MHz | GPU - EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 Hybrid @2.1GHz | Storage - Samsung 960 Pro 512GB; Samsung 850 Evo 1TB; WD Black 2TB | Power Supply - EVGA G3 1000 Watt (with CableMod Cables) | Case - Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX TG (Anthracite Gray) | Case Fans - Too many Corsair ML120 Pro fans :P |

Peripherals

Spoiler

| Keyboard - Corsair K95 RGB Platinum with Cherry MX Brown switches | Mouse - Logitech G Pro + Logitech G900 Chaos Spectrum | Audio - Sennheiser PC37X + GSX 1000 |

3 minutes ago, KSP said:

Well, as far as I'm aware of, there isn't really a way to modify that card (or any card) to make it have another after market cooler (like the STRIX or FTW coolers). Maybe there is, or maybe I'm not quite understanding what you are saying. Either way, I would recommend looking into the  NZXT watercooler modifier for your card. I believe it's called the NZXT G12 bracket. EVGA also offers a Hyrbid conversion kit, but I am not sure if it is compatible with that card. 

Ok, I might have worded it wrong, but do you believe the NZXT G12 bracket would work with the card or are you not sure? If you think it would be compatible I might go ahead and try it with @shadowbyte's suggestion. Thanks for your help so far!

Just now, KalebHarris said:

Ok, I might have worded it wrong, but do you believe the NZXT G12 bracket would work with the card or are you not sure? If you think it would be compatible I might go ahead and try it with @shadowbyte's suggestion. Thanks for your help so far!

yes, it's compatible, since it's essentially the 970 reference PCB

Snorlax: i7 5820k @4.5ghz, Asus X99 Pro, 32gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666, Cryorig R1 Ultimate, Samsung 850 evo 500gb, Asus GTX 1080 ROG Strix, Corsair RM850x, NZXT H440, Hue+

Polaroid Spectra System

Just now, shadowbyte said:

yes, it's compatible, since it's essentially the 970 reference PCB

Thank you so much! I will go ahead and use this! Thanks again!

3 minutes ago, KalebHarris said:

Although I have no personal experience, it should be compatible. I believe the Turbo card uses the same founders PCB, as shadowbyte said. I would do a little research on it tho before purchasing.

Edited by KSP

Riptide

Spoiler

| CPUi7 9700K @4.8GHz | Motherboard - ASUS ROG Maximus XI Code | Cooler - NZXT Kraken X52 | RAM - Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB @3600MHz | GPU - EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 Hybrid @2.1GHz | Storage - Samsung 960 Pro 512GB; Samsung 850 Evo 1TB; WD Black 2TB | Power Supply - EVGA G3 1000 Watt (with CableMod Cables) | Case - Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX TG (Anthracite Gray) | Case Fans - Too many Corsair ML120 Pro fans :P |

Peripherals

Spoiler

| Keyboard - Corsair K95 RGB Platinum with Cherry MX Brown switches | Mouse - Logitech G Pro + Logitech G900 Chaos Spectrum | Audio - Sennheiser PC37X + GSX 1000 |

What specific GPU water cooler would you guys recommend I use with the Kraken G12?

19 minutes ago, Leonard said:

@KalebHarris i am sure you will find an air cooler here.

https://www.arctic.ac/worldwide_en/catalogsearch/result/?q=970+turbo

Completely forgot about the Artic cooler. This is a good option, especially if you don't want to water cool.

Riptide

Spoiler

Peripherals

Spoiler

29 minutes ago, shadowbyte said:

When looking at the cooler you listed, it says it is a CPU cooler, but the Kraken is also compatible with it, before I buy I just want to make sure that this cooler will work with the GPU. Sorry if this is a stupid question, I am 100% new to water cooling.

Just now, KalebHarris said:

When looking at the cooler you listed, it says it is a CPU cooler, but the Kraken is also compatible with it, before I buy I just want to make sure that this cooler will work with the GPU. Sorry if this is a stupid question, I am 100% new to water cooling.

yes

the G12 is compatible with all asetek designed coolers, including the Corsair H55

Polaroid Spectra System

2 minutes ago, KalebHarris said:

Basically, the NZXT G12 is a bracket you attach to the GPU PCB (I believe). Then you buy any Kraken series cooler (which are primarily used as CPU coolers) and attatch it to the G12.

Edited by KSP

Riptide

Spoiler

Peripherals

Spoiler

23 hours ago, KSP said:

Basically, the NZXT G12 is a bracket you attach to the GPU PCB (I believe). Then you buy any Kraken series cooler (which are primarily used as CPU coolers) and attatch it to the G12.

Ok, thank you. When looking on Amazon I found the G10, but not the G12, What is the difference? Would the G10 work with my card?

6 minutes ago, KalebHarris said:

Ok, thank you. When looking on Amazon I found the G10, but not the G12, What is the difference? Would the G10 work with my card?

G12 was recently released. G10 will work as well. If you want to find the G12, go to the NZXT website.

Riptide

Spoiler

Peripherals

Spoiler

Just now, KSP said:

G12 was recently released. G10 will work as well. If you want to find the G12, go to the NZXT website.

Ok, thank you! I think I will go with the G10 as it can be here quicker and cheaper, as long as it still works like it is supposed to. I never really buy the newest things anyways. :) Thank you all for your help!